Archinect
anchor

IDP question

amenapi

greetings to all,

I came here in search for some more clarification regarding Intern Development Program (IDP). I am a  B.S. Architecture degree graduate from a country outside of the USA & Canada, and currently resides at the state of CO. I am planning to seek an initial registration on states that  allows a "pre-professional degree" to take an ARE; among those, the state of CA & CO is what I am rooting for. However, It looks like that jobs related to my degree are hardly advertised on those areas and thus it would be hard for me to land a job.

so my question would be, If I landed a job / internship on a state such as South Dakota, could I still apply for IDP? and will the board of California / Colorado accept the experience I accumulated in South Dakota?

and is it safe to say that my degree would be categorize as an pre-professional degree? or do I really need an EESA evaluation first since it is not a degree taken from the USA thus it will not qualify as a pre-professional or a professional degree without EESA evaluation?     

your insights would be gladly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Sep 18, 13 10:39 pm

IDP is a national program, it is the same no matter where you are working in the US. You can work and earn hours in South Dakota and register in whatever state you wish. Different state boards will have different requirements when it comes to the education requirement and if they will allow you, in your particular situation, to pursue a license in that state. But when it comes to the experience requirement, the point of IDP is to create a universal set of (minimum) requirements. Keep in mind that some states will require more experience than just IDP depending on your education. 

I would contact NCARB and find out if your education will allow you to begin IDP. Also double check the state licensing requirements for experience beyond IDP. 

Sep 19, 13 1:58 am  · 
 · 
amenapi

thank you for that clarification Everyday Intern.

btw, I believe I could apply for IDP even if my degree is not assessed yet, that is from what I understand in this statement:

{
(IDP), requires an applicant to establish a specific “IDP eligibility date.” An “IDP eligibility date” is the date after which an intern is able to earn IDP experience. In order to establish an IDP eligibility date, the applicant must document one of the following conditions: 

• "3. Employment in work setting A after obtaining a U.S. high school diploma, General Education Degree (GED) equivalent, or comparable foreign degree."

​​​​source: http://www.ncarb.org/Publications/~/media/Files/PDF/Applications-Forms/IDP_eligibility_date_3.pdf
}

so it means that I could apply for IDP, I just need an employer or supervisor to provide a proof that I am employed and is under a supervision of a registered practitioner.

now I got a clear picture. There would be 3 ways for me to get an initial license here in the USA specifically in CA: 

1.  is to have my degree evaluated by EESA-NAAB + IDP completion, that will cost about $2,000 (evaluation).
  2. is to work for 8 years in the industry in order to qualify for the High School Diploma + 8 years required experience.
  3. enroll for a M.Arch II Program which is accredited by NAAB, and which I don't know how much fortune would it cost me. any Ideas?

on those 3 choices which do you think is the most efficient way? should I apply for evaluation or just keep the money and save for an M. Arch Program?

Sep 19, 13 3:41 am  · 
 · 

I don't think is simply a question on efficiency but also economics. Any of the three routes you listed would be enough to get you to your goal of obtaining a license, but which one is easier and more likely to serve you in the long run? Keep in mind initial investment (evaluation of degree / M.Arch) and the return on that investment; will you make up the difference throughout your career, or will it be better to work at perhaps a lesser salary for longer in order to not pay out upfront and do the high school diploma route?

Also consider reciprocity. You might be tempted to go the M.Arch route in order to gain the freedom of getting licensed in any state, but NCARB seems to be leaning away from requiring NAAB degrees in order to get reciprocity with the Broadly Experienced Architect stuff they've been talking about recently. 

Sep 19, 13 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: