Archinect
anchor

Junior positions or intern?

pfarmer

Hi all,

I will like to ask opinions regarding the feasibility of hoping to work in a landscape/urban planning office. (I am not architectural-trained)

I graduated last year from a design school (in)famous for its conceptual design training which i really enjoyed. I was a trainee model-maker at an architecture office during my studies and straight after graduation, I worked for an architect (although on more conceptual/research projects, but with a diverse group of other experts) which ends recently.

Since then I have set my mind to work more in the context of landscape/urban planning as I really enjoyed working and thinking in a bigger scale. I have been sending portfolios to a list of offices (medium and large ones) with some rejection replies from a few of the medium-sized ones.

Link to portfolio: http://issuu.com/faizzohri/docs/130712_faiz_bin_zohri_portfolio

What I have is a conceptual mind and imagination, work very quickly with hands (modelmaking etc..) - as I am trained to design by making, and I am aware this could make me a "dinosaur" in most offices.

What I do not have is experience in computer drawing (I can work with Rhino/Autocad/Sketchup, but have never drawn a construction drawing from scratch. I have experience in producing technical drawings for products and molds though). And of course, no architectural training.

With my skill set and portfolio, do I have a chance of getting a position in a landscape/urban planning office (if we ignore the hundreds of architecture graduates out there:) ? What kind of role can I play in these offices?

Crit and opinions please. Thank you!

Sep 16, 13 9:45 am
backbay

a very limited role that is probably unattainable for someone with your experience, if you don't want to do construction docs.  everyone in this field likes hands-on, designing, and thinking conceptually.

Sep 19, 13 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Your portfolio is quite good I think you should look into getting a master of landscape architecture from a top program I feel you would enjoy it a great deal and it will open many doors for you. You already seem talented so with a touch more I think you would have great opportunity to work in some nice firms and or start your own down the line.  Many programs give out good fellowships and scholarships. 

Sep 20, 13 9:40 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

your portfolio is nicely conservative, as stated, at this point in your professional career you have no experience outside of your academic career. typically that means you must take the " foot in the door position" ! Until you are lic. or successfully execute those tasked assignments, you definitely will not be in a Jr. role for the next 2-5years

gud luck

breaker breaker out!

Sep 21, 13 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
pfarmer

thankyou for the feedback. i agree that i need to be able to do construction drawings to get a sniff in : )

I am self-learning with this superheavy textbook (Constructing Landscape, A. Zimmermann) and looking at other people's work, and making small projects... while looking for a trainee position in an office. Doing a masters is interesting (and it also opens up new networks)- I will have to look at it seriously.

I am wondering if it is "better" to go back to school or to get the necessary skills by doing traineeships and slowly climb up to junior/licensed etc. from there?

Sep 23, 13 3:14 am  · 
 · 
Alvin Smith

I am really impressed with your portfolio and I think you must go for a masters degree.  There is some reason  why  you get rejection replies from offices so first of all you must find it. You must keep on trying until you get the job as my sister has recently find her job. She has completed her graduation two years ago and was searching for a job . With a recommendation from a relative she completed her internship training program from Theinterngroup. The advantage of internship would definitely assist her in getting her a job.

Sep 23, 13 7:36 am  · 
 · 
ka em

I also really enjoy your portfolio and website. A lot of good and interesting ideas.

If you're asking about understanding construction drawing, you'll get more of that from working (of course you'll get introduced to it at school which helps, but it will be much faster at work).

You should also check what is the licensing requirement (if there is one) for landscape architects in your country, as you may need relevant educational background should you want to pursue it as a career.

Sep 26, 13 6:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: