Archinect
anchor

Waterproofing Concrete Admixture

I'm looking for a concrete admixture that increases concretes waterproofing abilities. Thus far in my research, Hycrete might be a possibility while products like Xypex or Ipanex have been discouraged. Thanks!

Oct 22, 08 12:17 pm
khmay

type "most toxic chemical" into google, something like ether will pop up, add that to the mix. whatever it is, it will be deadly, please cure responsibly and control the runoff,

Oct 23, 08 2:16 am  · 
 · 
rodgerT

It is usually a latex or polymer based additive, not very toxic or fuming at all. Here in Australia we have a few products like Econobond and Bondcrete, there are also a large range of cement additives from the manufacture Ardex. It should take you 30 seconds to find some thing similar. Just Google "cement waterproofing additive".

Oct 23, 08 6:43 am  · 
 · 
ether

Thanks rogerT. I've done such a search but without having some first hand knowledge/experience with the products, I certainly couldn't find out Ipanex and Xypex often crack after a few years of installations. While each company will come out and fix/fill the cracks for free, by then you've got a compromised waterproofing system. If anyone out there has had some good results with any such admixture and would like to share, I would very much appreciate it.

Oct 23, 08 9:29 am  · 
 · 
waxwings

more steel is recommended to reduce cracking
look at caltite

Oct 23, 08 11:03 am  · 
 · 
kkgoh

It all comes back to the concreter, if the compaction is done perfectly, then the function of the concrete admixture will fit it's purpose. More information can can be obtain from Bitumas

Jan 25, 13 4:14 am  · 
 · 
kinhip

Still prefers crystalization waterproofing cement product

Apr 24, 16 12:46 am  · 
 · 
Mannyel

Admixtures are not designed to stop concrete from cracking. They will protect and waterproof, but the engineering of the structure, the concrete mix design and the application of the concrete all play a vital role in the formation of cracks. Admixtures are designed for the protection of concrete against water and chemical attacks that results in deterioration. They have the ability to self heal a certain range of cracks and therefore self maintains and repairs. Admixtures are far more cost effective and reliable than traditional membranous solutions. In my experience there is no better admixture than Xypex Admixtures and its protective coatings. These coatings permeate into the concrete and become part of the existing concrete structure. Therefore forming a structure that is impermeable to moisture without the concern that it will deteriorate (unlike membraneous coatings) over time

May 24, 16 4:52 am  · 
 · 

quicseal 111

May 25, 16 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I've used the Sika stuff.  Mannyel talks about cracking... You'll need to design the joints and waterstops too.

http://usa.sika.com/en/concrete-products/concrete_home/concrete-admixture/watertight-concrete.html

What is the application?  Normally, I'd shoot for the admixtures in small scale stuff since it cost a lot.  I keep trying to get it on parking garage topping slabs, but it always gets cut.  I've used it on water features, or chemical resistant constructions like sand/salt bins.

May 25, 16 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
yogeshparmar

We have been using IPANEX in India, till date we no problems for waterproofing. 

Jul 19, 16 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

http://dricrete.us

Jul 20, 16 9:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: