Archinect
anchor

having problem whith design and concept

mash92

i m a 2nd year student , our first project is to design a bus stop near our campus , our teacher told us to come up with a one word concept which can be seen in your design.is in really necessary that just one word can describe your design ? i m having problems coming up with one word concept ! i have lots of designs in my mind but this concept thing is kind of a problem to me!

Sep 13, 13 11:07 am
accesskb

lol I'll be frank.. drop out of architecture before you waste more time.

Sep 13, 13 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
you're in 2nd year. it isn't so much about finding the perfect concept, the idea is to see how well you can explore and produce according to the idea you select. you're focusing on the wrong thing, hence accesskb's comment.
Sep 13, 13 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

you're trying to hard. why are you trying to find the one word, before you actually design the damn thing?

Sep 13, 13 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
Maestro

Ah yes, 2nd year, the year of tropes.  Think this way: Bus Stop as:(insert trope here) or Bus Stop is a: (insert synechdoche here). THEN, take your trope and find a corollary in the tectonic world.  Tropes are easy, and fun to share with friends!

Sep 13, 13 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i would go with "circle"

actually, i wouldn't because those are difficult.  i would go with "line" and then hit f8 in autocad, because circles are unnecessarily complicated.

Sep 14, 13 12:52 am  · 
 · 
boy in a well

then reject your professor's terms with erudition! say there are concepts which are predominately social and concepts which are predominantly formal and concepts which are primarily historical ,etc etc etc. Of course if you don't know that, then it might be best to just listen. No clue what ye olde prof is specifically getting at. Assuming its just getting you to draw some tight boundaries and focus, at the minimum - which is good. But if its putting something coherent together, then be contrary but put something coherent together! sometimes its worthwhile to raise a stink, sometimes its good to just listen. what's teach's angle? do you know yet? they might be trying to pass something worthwhile on to you. or they might be a douchebag. hard for us to tell. just throw some composite columns on it and say you're saving DC from frank gehry.

Sep 14, 13 5:04 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

your concept should be Godot. this is a no brainer.

Sep 14, 13 8:27 am  · 
 · 
boy in a well

I am drunk and I concur!

uh, I mean, uh, I agree with much enthusiasmz cuz buses.....waiting......second year is so hard. hi kitty kat....hey.... wait....

Sep 14, 13 8:52 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Speed? Locus? Forest? Nightmare? It's not hard, it's just one word. Gives you a starting place for the design.
Sep 14, 13 9:18 am  · 
 · 
boy in a well

yes, but do you really think those are: a) concepts or b)concepts for an architectural project? or c)good concepts for stimulating architectural thinking?

Sep 14, 13 9:26 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Take a look at your favourite out of the designs you came up with and ask yourself...why do you like it...why do you think you came up with it...what it reminds you of. If you can answer any of these questions, you're almost there. Then, look at your answer and try to find an one-word abstract thematic category that you can 'file' the answer under. 

Sep 15, 13 1:01 am  · 
 · 
peace77

In second year, my one word concept was "inebriation." I really explored. My prof was unconvinced.

Sep 15, 13 1:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: