Archinect
anchor

TYPING IN ALL CAPS

JMSmith

A fellow architecture intern at my firm has a habit of typing in all caps, including in emails. Today I questioned him about it and he insisted that "architects write in all caps". I tried to argue that typing and lettering are not the same thing, and that most people equate typing in all caps with yelling/harshness. He didn't agree and told me I needed to "get over it". Am I crazy, or is he crazy?

Sep 11, 13 3:18 pm
natematt

Just point him to a graphic designer... if he comes back you'll know he's been straightened out ...

Sep 11, 13 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

You're a peer, so he'll ignore you.  Once he gets criticized by a superior, or, better, someone he looks up to, he'll change it.  And it won't take long...

Sep 11, 13 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

i still never equate typing in all caps to yelling.  Who came up with this rule out of the blue?  Typing in all caps = yelling.  Sure I can understand the use of exclamation marks ..  To me, typing in all caps is more annoying and difficult to read than regular letters.

btw you just got played by your intern.  He certainly knows how to tick you off.  First, by typing in all caps.  Then responding 'architects write in all caps' when you questioned him and getting you into an argument and telling you 'to get over it'.  He certainly must've been laughing inside. 

Sep 11, 13 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
TedTedTed

When I see people type in all caps, I read it as if someone is yelling, or at least has voice immodulation.  So do most people in my office.  One person in the office will occasionally type an email in all caps because she goes straight from CAD/Revit to email, and there will usually be an amusing exchange following that.

I blame Kanye West's twitter account for making me assume the person is yelling.

Sep 11, 13 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
WHAT! WHAT?
Sep 11, 13 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

Why is 90's chat room etiquette in the Professional Practice thread?  Sounds like someone is new to the interwebs. 

Sep 11, 13 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

˙uʍop ǝpısdn ǝʇıɹʍ oʇ ǝןqɐ ǝq pןnoɥs sʇɔǝʇıɥɔɹɐ ʇɥƃnoɥʇ ı

Sep 12, 13 1:13 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

^¥€$!

Sep 12, 13 7:06 am  · 
 · 
JMSmith

I don't think anyone just decided "out of the blue" that typing is yelling. Its just a sort of standard that developed naturally over time.

I wouldn't characterize my conversation with the guy as an argument. I just thought it was strange to equate lettering with typing in all caps, and wondered if that was actually a legitimate practice.

Sep 12, 13 9:53 am  · 
 · 
toaster you are brilliant.

All caps is hard to read, AND looks like every word is being strongly emphasized, like when someone yells.

Lack of capitals is also hard to read. I know I'm unpopular for saying so, but just use proper formal rules if you truly want to communicate clearly.

And use your turn signals, FFS.
Sep 12, 13 10:20 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

minor differences

Sep 12, 13 10:37 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Doesn't respect his peers? He'll last long........

Sep 12, 13 10:54 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

This person has been working the field for two minutes and somehow thinks that he's right about something no one else is doing.  Real smart.

I get the feeling that this kid is going to go down in flames - I'd like to see how well the all caps thing goes over with senior people.  Good on you trying to look out for your coworker, though.

Sep 12, 13 11:21 am  · 
 · 

🚽 🔧 🔩 🔨 🚪 Real architectural visionaries write like this. #yoloswag420blazeit 🚽 🔧 🔩 🔨 🚪

Sep 12, 13 11:24 am  · 
 · 
citizen

"I know I'm unpopular for saying so, but just use proper formal rules if you truly want to communicate clearly.... And use your turn signals, FFS."

That makes you popular in my book, Donna ;-)  

And LOL @ FFS, if it means what I think it means...

Sep 12, 13 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

screw the 'AIA' and "bd+c"and other initials people feel they need on business cards, I think I'm going with FFS.

Sep 12, 13 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I concur!

Citizen, FFS

Sep 12, 13 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

The name Rollie comes to mind... he had a mind set for   type graphics. 

Damn  wish I could post some of them.  Unfortunately he passed away

before all this "fancy graphics" stuff  started.  You would be amazed..

Sep 12, 13 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
Stewie_2011

OP, He's not 'crazy' he's 'lazy'. Capitols just save hitting the shift key everytime you start a new sentence or come across a name of something. Not much of a deal to a full on touch typist but to regular tying folk can save time and fuss. Hey perhaps he does'nt know when to use capitols with lower case sentences. To be honest not a bad idea though, as long as font is kept small and an elegant font style is used would probably not look too bad for internal work purposes. If it saves a lot of time productivity wise it is more logical to write all in capitols. Before when stuff was more handwritten it could take longer to do capitols, now it is the other way round I don't know why we all don't take up this practice. I think only if it is quite large might the all capitols approach look too much.

Sep 14, 13 8:11 am  · 
 · 
boy in a well

HEY ASSHOLE!

exactly.

Before when stuff was more handwritten it could take longer to do capitols, now it is the other way round I don't know why we all don't take up this practice. I think only if it is quite large might the all capitols approach look too much.

YOU ARE HIGH.

my god.

Sep 14, 13 8:56 am  · 
 · 

I drive by a house lately with a roofer's yard sign in front of it. The roofing company name is probably, as is common in the construction industry, the owner's initials: STF Roofing.  I can't drive past it without thinking Shut The Fuck (up) Roofing.  I'd hire them!

Sep 14, 13 9:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: