Archinect
anchor

Missing lines when printing (PDF)

SiameseDream

It has occurred to me a couple of times. The file (PDF) was made in illustrator with dwg imported from Rhino.

When viewed from Acrobat it looks fine, but some lines were missing when printed out, even from different printers.  Has anyone had the same experience ?

Sep 5, 13 12:29 am
gruen
Yes. It's your PDF print driver.
Sep 5, 13 8:10 am  · 
 · 
SiameseDream

@Gruen
Would you mind to elaborate ?

Sep 6, 13 2:10 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

we've had this happen in my office a few times.  i don't think anyone came up with a good solution.  i dropped adobe's printer and switched to pdfcreator, which i think is a lot better for a printer.  adobe's acrobat is still better as an editor imo.  this was from printing from cad though.  i don't do illustrator, so my issue may have been different than yours.

Sep 6, 13 9:42 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I've actually run into this problem printing directly via InDesign.  I have a Canon pixma printer so my first impression is that the lines are too thin for the inkjet nozzle. I haven't investigated the problem yet, but I'm planning on narrowing the problem down this weekend and I'll post my findings.

Sep 6, 13 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

So I printed to a color laserjet printer and as I suspected I didn't run into any issues. It's either the limitations of your printer head nozzle, printer drivers, or how you export to PDF. You'll need to play around with the last two variables (e.g. make the lines thicker).

Sep 10, 13 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I found that printing the PDF as an image solves the problem. This option can be located by opening the print dialogue window > Advanced > Print as Image checkbox. 

Oct 15, 13 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
martinjopp

I just wanted to say, whether you read this or not, thank you. This solved my problem. What a dumb fix for such a stupid issue.

Aug 4, 17 7:51 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I'm glad it helped. Stupid issue indeed.

Aug 4, 17 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
mshoden

What can I do if that option is greyed out?

Mar 17, 18 12:39 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Make sure "print in grayscale" is not checked.

Mar 17, 18 12:43 am  · 
 · 
mshoden

I am using adobe PDF reader and I am experiencing the same problem. Are there any solutions that may be useful? Thank you

Mar 16, 18 4:37 am  · 
 · 
randomised

maybe read some of the above comments

Mar 16, 18 4:47 am  · 
 · 
Oace1989

It's simple. If this is happening in Adobe Reader:- 1- Make sure "Print in grayscale (black and white)" is checked. 2- Now go to properties and check 'Grayscale Printing" under Additional Features. 3- Then print

Apr 5, 19 9:44 am  · 
 · 
marcocheung

Right Click the PDF

Open With (Google Chrome)

Print from the Google Chrome browser.

We had an issue with printing GL bubbles and dimensions which weren't orthogonal (on an angle). Adobe would read it on the desktop, but the prints wouldn't show up. Opening with Edge allowed us to print dimensions, but no GL bubbles.

Eventually, you can get around this if you use Google Chrome.

Dec 10, 18 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

use PDF Architect software it’s free and best driver and viewer out there

Dec 10, 18 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Oace1989

It's simple. If this is happening in Adobe Reader:-

1- Make sure "Print in grayscale (black and white)" is checked.

2- Now go to properties and check 'Grayscale Printing" under Additional Features.

3- Then print 

Apr 5, 19 9:43 am  · 
 · 
danjoe211

Thank you marcocheung 

Opening with Chrome not only fixed the missing line issue but all the print is much clearer.

Jul 26, 19 5:19 am  · 
 · 
rosangelacarrizalez

I had the same issue and noticed that it wasn't printing the lines with lineweight 0.0 I changed them all to default and it worked. I guess this only helps if the lineweight is not key for the project.

Aug 26, 19 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: