Archinect
anchor

Applications for Architect Position!

Alpheus

I am an Architect, graduated at "La Sapienza"University of Rome on 5-years course (3 years bachelor degree + 2 years master degree with 2 years of experience in Albania in different positions in important  buildings.

I have tried to contact the German large firms by sending them my CV and Portfolio.I have received some answers like:

We are impressed by your background and your professional experience but  we don't have any vacancies for the moment,or we have chosen another candidate that matches more closely our requirements.We will keep your CV in our file to review for future openings.In the case we will not hesitate to contact you.

I repute these  as positive answers , but as I am a foreigner and this  is the first time that I apply for a job in Germany, I am not sure about this.

Do you repute this a positive answer or it can be a traditional answer to thank the candidate for the application and  interest he

has shown for the firm?

Thank you

Aug 23, 13 4:54 pm
natematt

While most of my applications have been in the US, this sounds like a pretty standard rejection. It is possible that something may come of the application, but I wouldn't hold out hope for anything anytime soon if at all. Just keep on applying!

Aug 23, 13 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

That is a polite rejection letter.

Aug 23, 13 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

How about a different approach, go looking for jobs that are not advertised. The book you need is Cracking the Hidden Job Market By Asher. I used this and had amazing and relatively fast results. the basic concept is to go out asking for advice not a job, people love to give advice, they hate hate hate saying no to people, they have to say no or might have to say no if you are asking for a job. Just send an email out to someone who works for a firm you are interested in working for. your first line in the email should be:

I am writing you for information and advice that can help me achieve my career goals, I am not asking for a job just some direction.

start you email like this and you are likely to get invited to talk about your career, this can lead to solid leads or even get you on the list of candidates they choose when an opening does come up. but never ask for a job just advice and follow up once you had what is sometimes refereed to as an informational interview, don't give out resumes unless asked. This sounds weird but it has worked for me and many friends.  But get the book I mentioned above and follow the step by step directions.

Good luck.

Peter N

Aug 25, 13 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Its an automated rejection letter.  You did not use the correct words on your CV and portfolio therefore did not pass the computer test that select the candidates that do have the "words" used that they are looking for. Use the words that they use on the job posting, maybe that can help...

Aug 25, 13 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

This may be a bit presumptuous, but you're receiving a rubber-stamped professional rejection letter because: 

You have not provided evidence of being able to speak the german language, knowing the german building code, or know having a familiarity with the local design/ permitting/ construction process.

Aug 26, 13 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

Could be what Mike said, or (more likely) German firms are absolutely flooded with applications from Italy, Spain, Greece and Portugal and they have already seen hundreds (if not thousands) of similarly qualified educated applicants.

This is a standard polite rejection - my firm sent the same sentence out to everyone who applied to us, until we got so busy that we stopped answering people. It sucks, but everyone is looking for work in Germany and you have to be pretty outstanding to stick out.

Aug 27, 13 11:02 am  · 
 · 
Alpheus

Ok this answers sound  a little bit depressing but I can't  give up untill I stick somewhere in Germany or England.I have had always excellent results in all the subjects in high school and  university and I cant accept the idea to be excluded because I don't know the German building code that can be learnt in a week.

Stephanie Braconnier as you have had experience with German firms do you think it can work if I go directly to a German large firm with my CV and Portofolio and have a direct discussion  with them?

I have my cousins in Munchen ,Germany,or London UK.I am planning to go to Germany or UK to contact directly the firms.

Do you think It can work?

Aug 30, 13 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

Alpheus

Take a look at Stephanie's work to understand the level you need to be at to get a job in Germany. It might be that you just need to re-render some of your projects and re-work the presentation of them stick out. I spent six weeks after I finished school making my portfolio looking like it should and it really helped.

Aug 30, 13 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Hey Alpheus,

Good grades in university doesn't necessarily translate to a job. I have never had anyone ask me about my grades and it really doesn't matter. Your portfolio is what counts. I can't help in that regard unless you post a link to the portfolio you're using to apply in Germany. When my partner and I were looking for work in Berlin we actively redesigned our portfolios to an absolutely rigid minimal structure, very high quality graphics that stood out for themselves without any explanation. We didn't use much text because we don't speak German and wouldn't expect a German to read our English explanations. 

I can tell you that the last thing a German firm will respond to is colorful, complex graphics or textual explanations. If you look to my linked issuu portfolio (by clicking my name to see my profile), you can see some of the competitions I worked on at my firm, and what kind of graphics German firms are interested in. 

As far as walking into a firm to talk with someone? I really wouldn't recommend it. We had some young fellow do this at my firm, and everyone thought he was presumptuous to expect someone to speak with him without being invited... It didn't make a good impression and he wasn't contacted further. If you have friends who are working in Germany, that will be your best bet - most jobs will come through recommendations from someone you know who is working.

Best of luck

Sep 3, 13 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

It isn't you. When the demand for buildings and the credit is available to build, firms will hire people again and they eventually start hiring people with unrelated experience or no experience. It is like a cycle of seasonal labor. For a few years firms will hire almost anyone then in a few years you get to write down that you were one of those firm's dumps. If only 30% of architecture students go on to be licensed and given the cyclical nature of the business, what percentage of the labor market will have a steady job for life?    

Sep 4, 13 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
tamarbenashvili

Dear all, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm an architect, Msc. of urban management and development (Institute for housing and urban development studies, Erasmus University Rotterdam). I also have 1 year working experience in Georgia and 6 months internship in NL, and now I'm trying to find a new job, for which I redesigned my portfolio. I'd greatly appreciate any kind of tips and advices, I can also share my portfolio if anyone would like to give me any kind of advice regarding it as well. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yajk4jchjgprqxy/TAMAR_BENASHVILI.pdf?dl=0

thanks in advance,

wish you a nice day!

Mar 24, 17 8:31 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

With a large firm you might drop off your cover letter, resume, and portfolio with the receptionist and ask if you could check back with her in a few days to see if there is any interest. She either then puts it in the trash or on someone's desk.

Mar 24, 17 8:52 am  · 
 · 
MrVSNET

Think positive and keep marketing to especially the big 10, or whatever. NON-STOP!

As an example a new programmer may try the big 4 for a programmign job since minimum interns at Microsoft and the other three canmake about $5000 dollars a month, but of course the competition for just an interview is fierce.

So, what endsup on resumes of these programmers that Google doesn't hire but they made the interview? At times the interview with the big 4, or whatever, becomes some sort of foot note in the next CV.

The point is it does not matter if they hire you tomorrow, but that your name is in the running and eventually, from one minute to the next, you will get the call. Stick at it. Stay up to date and jot it all down.

Best of more than luck.

Mar 26, 17 10:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: