Archinect
anchor

architects & cyclists / biking issues

The Arquitektonix

Does anyone know of any architects in the U.S. that are heavily involved in the "biking scene"?  Let me clarify:  involved in making cities better by promoting bicycle riding events/activities, improvements for cyclists at the street level, designing better infrastructure, etc...

Working on some research on this matter, and would like to see who in the U.S. are at the forefront of this.  Help is much appreciated.

Aug 18, 13 6:26 pm
zonker

Start with this new general plan for the Market + Octavia area of San Francisco - they are at the forefront of providing for bicyclists and discouraging auto ownership and usage

http://www.sf-planning.org/ftp/general_plan/Market_Octavia.htm#MAO_LUF

Aug 18, 13 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Seems like half of the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition are either Urban Planners or Architects...

Aug 18, 13 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal
Alta Design Group specializes in ped/bike planning. They were/are a big influence in Portland, also have an office in Berkeley.
Aug 18, 13 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I think you'll find a lot of architects involved on the local level.  nationally - the big name you're probably looking for is John Pucher at Rutgers.

from what I know of in Boston area:

Livable Streets Alliance - collection of local activists, planners, architects - usually has a representative in local and regional transit projects.  There are some heavy hitters (and a few recognizable names if you're in planning circles) in this organization.

Boston Cyclist Union - the total number of dues-paying members (I think maybe a few thousand?) makes this very likely one of the largest organized urban cycling groups in the world - members (and partner organizations) includes several architects - who may or may not sit on the board.  They're typically the ones fighting for Boston-specific bike infrastructure and doing most of the local community outreach.

Mass Bike - lobbying group that focuses on statewide legislation that both promotes cyclist rights and facilities for cycling and walking as a means of transportation.  Very likely this group includes architects.

and something fun:  Bicycle Belle - architect-owned bike shop specializing in more utilitarian city cycling - caters to professionals and families.  And last year there was a Boston Society of Architects exhibit called "let's talk about bikes".  

Alta also has offices in Boston too, btw...  

Aug 18, 13 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

David Baker + Partners is the one firm I know who is most heavily involved in promoting cyclist commuting and cycling in general in the Bay Area.

Aug 19, 13 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
The Arquitektonix

Thanks for the recommendations! Are there anymore example from the East Coast or even areas like Chicago or Austin? 

I'm surprised that any NYC firms haven't made this list.  Especially the up-and-comming firms found in Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan.  

Aug 19, 13 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

NYC has a bit of a different issue going on - their cycling scene has a couple competing advocacy groups, plus the NYPD and the DA's office continue to harass cyclists and look the other way while motorists continue to murder vulnerable road users.  I'm not sure how anyone can really be hopeful about cycling there when city officials tacitly sanction the continued slaughter of innocent people just trying to get around.

Aug 21, 13 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

Principal at PKSB Architects here. I am very much into cycling, Rails to Trails,  bikes made in the US, Zwift, designing virtual reality cycling spaces. NJ has some great roads with wide shoulders and some great trails. Currently working with NJDEP on a particular route to allow NJ residents in high density municipalities to commute safely to Manhattan. A new Commuter Bikeway that links to lock and ride facilities, or existing Hudson Ferries. NJ / NY are a few years behind cities like Boston, Washington DC in Commuter Bikeways and Linear Recreational Greenways as I call them. There seems to be a recognition of that fact as of late. Look for me at the Philly Bike Expo 2016 this Saturday!

Nov 1, 16 11:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: