Archinect
anchor

open the window

Atom

Open the window. This was once an option. Now it seems like this is simply not allowed in some cases. Or is it? I see proposals which make use of various nascent gadgetry controlled with a smart phone which manipulate various mechanical contraptions. Solar panels are used to power mechanical units and so on. The mechanical engineers appear to be selling HVAC so I see their business model and I'm not throwing rocks at that discipline. Architects are, as I understand, charged with the building envelope. The Butaro Hospital in Rwanda was rather nifty in the use of good old natural air. Why are we interested in such elaborate and costly technology when outside air is - free. Free air! Anyone? Its free.  

Aug 9, 13 2:40 pm

Office building: Glazed appliance. No operable windows.

Medical: Let's keep all the germs in circulation. No operable windows. 

Multifamily Residential: Double loaded corridors with no cross venting and if there are operable windows they are rendered ineffective.

Hotels: Use machine next to window for fresh air.

Aug 9, 13 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Residential energy code: maximum air infiltration limit exceeds mimum fresh air requirements. 

Aug 9, 13 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

This isn't as easy an issue to solve as your making it out to be. There are a host of issues with operable windows.

Just off the top of my head, potential problems include

thermal comfort, open windows mean temperature change.
what about winter
air flow, too much breeze.
noise pollution,
odors and other environmental pollution,

automation can go a long way towards solving many of these but in-order to utilize more operable windows you have to deal with these, often adding additional systems to reconcile these concerns becomes a larger upfront cost.

the biggest issue I commonly encounter is adjusting peoples expectations of thermal comfort. many office environments maintain a strict 75 degrees +/- a couple degree's. With a naturally ventilated solution you have to be willing to accept temperatures swings of +/- 10 degree's over the course of a day! that can be the difference between 67 and 77, during which half the people will complain its too cold in the morning and the other ones will complain that its too hot in the afternoon. Of course this is all location and shading dependent and what not. To make operable windows work you have to invest more time and effort, the mechanical solution is easy, and lazy. people tend to take the sure / ("up-front" )cheaper cost bet.

You have to sell operable windows via life cycle cost, health and lifestyle benefits. There have also been studies pointing towards increased productivity. all of which needs to go along with well designed shading and control systems.

Aug 9, 13 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: