Archinect
anchor

How to dress like an Architect

Miles,

The U.S. is a fascist government just like Nazi germany. We became that about 10 years ago.

However, in Germany, you need to be careful in interpreting that. There are many that served in the Nazi army that may or may not agree with the Nazi leadership but they have no choice or it means certain death for them and their family. Remember the Gestapo?

It was a horrifying situation.

The U.S. is largely on the same path on the long term trend... with maybe the exception of the racial supremacy matters to a certain extent. 

People just aren't going to hire me or my client and pay me a professional level fee if I or if employees that I may hire dress unprofessionally. Prospective clients aren't even going to consider and if they were, they won't entertain paying more than $20 for a firm that dresses like high scool adolescents. After all, we live in a culture that doesn't believe in paying large sums of money to adolescents. This is because, culturally, adolescents aren't entrusted with large sums of money. 

If we dress like that, we would be locked into that imagery and stigma. If we dress professionally like other professionals that are viewed and percieved as PROFESSIONALS of a highly respected occupation then we would be respected like one.

It part, it is about getting the client and prospective client willing to pay you the most. The point in running a business is to MAXIMIZE what you can get for your goods or services in the marketplace. Our goal as to running a business of architecture/design services is to maximize what we can receive in a competitive marketplace. This doesn't mean explicitly to charge the most per service but to find the optimal sweet spot where you maximize your  overall income, contribution margin, profits, etc. so you have the revenue to run a sustinable business.

Sep 13, 14 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

I'm glad you didn't tell me to get off my camel, Miles. It seems, in contradistinction to how the saying goes, old dogs do sometimes learn new tricks.

I am still on my horse on this one. The choice of Islam and the hijab (a choice, not a necessity...I know, by way of a personal anecdote,  someone who wanted to wear a hijab and her husband and one of her brothers- secularly minded- did not want her to wear it - something I personally found unjust if her choice was to wear a hijab- all of them were "Moslems" living in " Moslem" countries or contexts) have been demonized enough in the US such that it becomes the easiest thing to criticize and generalize about, with stupidity and ignorance. Why don't we talk about Jewish Ultra-Orthodox attitudes towards women in US Hassidic neighbourhoods, for instance? Or any number of other religious communities?

It is not my mind that is one-track, its the mind that travels, without even knowing it, a track already set-up for it. I'm simply shedding light on that trick.

Sep 13, 14 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

As far as U.S. being a fascist government in disguise is because of the leadership that we essentially had. Considering what Bush jr. did with a very damaging act that takes right away and essentially creates a 'gestapo'. All it takes is a Hitler-figure and WW III and hell will break loose. That's another story altogether.

Sep 13, 14 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry, but neither camel nor donkey work with high.

Ride is another story altogether.

Sep 13, 14 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

As far as Hijab or any religious wear, I can't prohibit or require religious attire..... with the exception that I can prohibit any attire that may cause occupational hazard that maybe an OSHA violation.

I can't do much in that regard.

Sep 13, 14 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

well, Miles, these trashy innuendoes of yours can only  from a low life stuck in his own mire so don't blame the horse for being high...or for letting loose a few droppings on your accustomed head every now and then.

Sep 13, 14 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

As a contrast to this objectification of women sexually to render them passive recipients of attention, how about

Power Dressing: How Women Politicians Use Fashion

Sep 13, 14 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

You went from flogging a dead horse to riding a high horse. Now you've gone ape. Seems like you have a monkey on your back. Which is no reason to be an ass.

Too bad you can't enjoy a little wordplay without having a cow.

Sep 13, 14 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Tammuz, I knew I shouldn’t have written that and I apologize if you found it to be offensive  – it was wordplay - what I was trying to point to is that what Richard has been driving at isn’t just his thinking alone, it was seeming so to some in the posts and needed a little perspective.

Jesus – do you have to be Muslim to speak about Islam? Do you have to be a woman to talk about women? Do I have to be an Arab to comment about Aljazeera? Seems so. And my use of my friend Jesus’ name is wordplay - not religious proselytizing.

Sep 13, 14 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

I've skipped over the last dozen posts as it's totally out of hand, but Carrera, I wanted to point out that the article about the inherent sexism of school uniforms is not only to be found on Al Jazeera, it's been a topic among many news sources in recent years.  Not only the feminist sources I frequent but my conservative Midwestern local newspaper, as well as others.  The entire notion of female dress being responsible for male "distraction" is finally being seriously called into question. This is good.

Al Jazeera is a very good source for news on lots of various topics.  

Sep 13, 14 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Donna, while as said - I’m not educated enough or qualified to analyze anything on this subject - I did find it curious that they published it, that’s all. The problem has been around since before Christ with covering-up being widely practiced but curiously the Qur’an also has a commandment to men – “Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and be modest” – that was written around the year 600 - it remains a two-way street.

Sep 13, 14 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: