Archinect
anchor

Building Code

goalie123456

Hello Everyone,

I was recently contracted to take a design and put it into construction documents. My question is if it is necessary to include the building code in the documents? Or is it a matter of knowing the code and complying to it. For example should I have codes applicable to the electricity plan included on the electrical page?

Thanks!!

Jul 25, 13 4:31 pm
JonathanLivingston

You're in over your head. 

Jul 25, 13 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

Exactly what do they teach in architecture school?

Jul 25, 13 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
You need to know the code and comply with it. I also outline critical code requirements on my code sheet to assist the plan reviewer with their review. I do a code plan to show it graphically as well. Since it does sound like you are a bit of a fish out of water, I'll just throw out that I do code consulting and am available at punkmotorcycles (at) gmail
Jul 25, 13 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

You just have to comply with the codes.  Like stair hand rails have to be at 36" so on all your drawings you have to have it dimensioned  at 3'-0" to show that it's complying.  You don't have to write that you can find it in the IBC 2012 1012.2.  

Ask them if you can have a CD set of another similar project from their office so that you know their style of doing drawings.  If it's not an architecture firm, find a CD set from somewhere else (a friend?) and use that as your template.  

Jul 25, 13 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: