Archinect
anchor

iPhone Apps for Architects

brookmeier

I don't have an iPhone, but have been very interested in seeing how the new app store is targeting certain business sectors. Not many developers seem very interested in targeting Architects, but I thought it would be interesting to brainstorm on what apps could become essential to architects.

Some Obvious ones:

- DWG or Digital Model Viewer
- Digital Level
- Realtime Estimating Software

What else?

Jul 21, 08 8:25 am
Synergy

Does it have the ability to open Pdf files? How about making digital markups?

To be honest, the screen seems too small to make looking at most drawings practical, don't you think?

Jul 21, 08 8:40 am  · 
 · 
brookmeier

Actually from the times I've used the phone I think it would be perfect for checking a set of drawings on site. Looking at details or parts of the project seems like a good use.

A PDF reader seems like it should be there or available. Which could even replace the need for a DWG Viewer I guess.

Jul 21, 08 8:48 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

it already opens PDFs, plus word and excel files

the level would be excellent (though I don't know if the accelerometer is that sensitive)

I use it all the time to take photos and notes, then email them to the office while I'm in the field…very handy, but just about any "smart phone" can do that these days.

I vote for a calculator that worked in feet and inches…

Jul 21, 08 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

I think that looking at only part of the plans or details at once, or seeing them only at a reduced scale can cause problems. I don't even like when people only review drawings by looking at them on a compure monitor, unless it happens to be large enough to them in full scale as intended. I can see using it as a suppliment, but it scares me a little when hard copy plans aren't handy and at the correct scale.

Jul 21, 08 10:32 am  · 
 · 
nb072

architects can't afford iphones

Jul 21, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
brookmeier

Are you talking about the actual phone or the 2 year contract. If you can't scrap together $200 you got troubles. Now the hefty contract payments are different matter, but most people can swing it.

Jul 21, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

monthly payments, wow

Jul 21, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
24out1in

rehiggins:

Who are you emailing them to at the office? I mean, is it that crucial to get the info back to someone before you even get back?

Jul 21, 08 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

a lot of times, for me, the principal doesn't come to the site...
and alot of times the contractor is sitting waiting for a decision
so that he can proceed...often because of some unforseen condition.

i've definitely used the camera phone to take pix to ask my boss' opinion.

Jul 21, 08 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

screw the contract that's what ebay is for

Jul 21, 08 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

the lightsaber app is awesome!

Jul 21, 08 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

24--

not crucial per se, though I am currently working on a project with a very tight schedule; it is just more convenient to email the photos as I take them.

Jul 21, 08 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
brookmeier

Realized that the curved back on the new iPhone makes the level a difficult app to realize...

Jul 22, 08 7:54 am  · 
 · 
brookmeier

ARCHITECT'S iPHONE TOOLKIT UPDATE

A LEVEL app is out, as noted.

TAPE MEASURE app that uses GPS to measure two distances.

COST TOOLS - estimating functionality.

UNITS - Construction calculator previously mentioned is out.

COMPASS app for finding North.

FILE MAGNET or READDLEDOCS allow one to dump different documents (lots of different types of files) and view them easily.

ANNOTATER allows one to open up different types of documents, mark them up, and e-mail the new redlined PDF.

Some sort of TO DO list Task Manager would have to be a part of this package too.

And maybe the flashlight app would come in handy for urban scavenging?

Jul 30, 08 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED
www.softwareadvice.com/articles/construction/the-best-construction-management-apps-for-the-iphone-and-ipad-1082510/#ixzz0

Quite a few apps profiled, all architecture/construction related.

Aug 30, 10 9:55 am  · 
 · 

Buildings app, just released:
http://archinect.com/news/article.php?id=100908_0_24_0_M

Aug 30, 10 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Autocad WS

My Measures: useful app for site documentation, let's you take a photo of a site condition and quickly add dimensions to mark up, save the site photos, export to jpg or email...

Carpentry Helper: a carpentry calculator that let's you name and save dimensions... In the full version you can export

Csi masterformat 2004 (has search function), masterformat 2010 converter, green format

Adobe ideas: a quick sketch program for napkin sketches basically, let's you have layers, including using photos, draw on them, adjust opacity, etc.

PANO and Autostitch: pano let's you take a series of photos and automatically stitch together a panorama... Autostitch let's you select a bunch of photos from your photo album and autostitches, does a more seamless job

Photoshop express: you can adjust exposure, contrast, tint, some other things, a few filters... There are some other apps with other filter type of affects...

Quick ADA: ANSI quick reference... Has 3D axons showing Ada dimensions

Access ADA and Steel Shapes reference apps...

Sign Guru: quick reference for designing signage, has industry standard signage info including standard faces and weights, distance viewing table for size of text, color references, ADA guidelines, LEED guidelines, signage industry term dictionary

Onsite Planroom: you can open an account and it let's you store securely drawing sets which you can then access from the app

Oct 29, 10 11:23 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Carpentry helper is nice in that it you can toggle between imperial and metric dimensions in the calculations...

Oct 29, 10 11:28 am  · 
 · 
bRink

There's also autodesk sketchbook... It's a basic drawing program...

Oct 29, 10 11:32 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Autocad WS is basically a DWG viewer, which you can markup

Oct 29, 10 11:34 am  · 
 · 
bRink

There are also all kinds of estimator apps for different costs... Drywall, paint, concrete, etc

Oct 29, 10 11:39 am  · 
 · 
not_here

read it later.

Oct 29, 10 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Darth Spacer

My measures - app is good for field measures
Sketchbook pro - good for sketching on the go
Cubits- view your sketch up models on ipadnor iPhone

Feb 1, 11 6:17 am  · 
 · 
mirqamar

Any new apps that architects are using in the office or in the field?

May 7, 12 10:36 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

My key apps for doing this "architecture" thing:

Genius Scan - I use this one all the time, for "scanning" process sketches off my drawing table as they develop in order to keep my client up-to-date on key directions and make them feel more like a part of the process (helpful also because most of them are 1000s of miles away and we don't get to meet in person all that often). It's also handy for "scanning" materials in situ and using the images for rendering textures that show actual materials.

PhotoSynth - The best panoramic photo app bar none in my opinion (way better than 360, Pano, or AutoStitch). I use this to capture a full spherical pano of every project site when I go visit. That panorama then becomes the basis for image-based environment mapping in the rendering stage.

AutoDesk SketchbookX - handy drawing app

Tracing Paper - Even handier drawing app that lets you draw over a photo on virtual trace

GoodReader - iPhone native PDF reader, I'mma let you finish, but GoodReader is the best iPhone PDF reader of all time. OF ALL TIME.

ProHDR - my go-to app for quality photography.

CameraRuler - Measure distance to or height of objects using the iPhone camera. Nifty!

May 7, 12 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
mirqamar

Check our PunchLists: http://bit.ly/KYp7ZG

May 29, 12 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

When will anyone come out with an iBook for the Ballast and Kaplan ARE study guides!  I'd sell my firstborn if I didn't have to break my back lugging around books all the time.

May 31, 12 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Dirkk

Scalator

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id943844728?mt=8

Dec 9, 14 5:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: