Archinect
anchor

Job while in school

cayne1

I searched the archives, but didn't see anything on this topic.
Any thoughts or suggestions for the best job or type of job to get part-time while in school? Work-study? Art supply store? Any tips on free-lance rendering?

Jul 19, 08 2:07 pm
Synergy

how about an architectural internship? You might as well try to get a job in the profession you are going into. Beyond that, working part time construction is often praised and can be useful, just be prepared to sweep a lot of floors, haul buckets of random scrap, etc. etc.

Go work at an art supply store if you're an aspiring art store manager.

Jul 19, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

there is usually the possibility of getting a job in an office while in school.

i worked about 15 hrs a week during undergrad in an office, doing renderings, model-building, checking shops, drafting, etc.

gave me a great head-start at graduation time because i had already absorbed how office culture works and wasn't mystified/awed/or otherwise uncomfortable in approaching offices about work.

and an architecture office is pretty understanding when you get snowed-under at the end of a semester or during mid-terms - much more than some retail place might be.

Jul 19, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

The best jobs while in school are usually also within the school itself. Try the computer lab and the woodshop first. You don't have to leave the building, they're very understanding about schedules, and you can sometimes work on your own stuff, too, and even get small perks like afterhours access or extra storage space. Also, look into TAships.

Are you sure you searched the archives? I know this topic has come up before.

Jul 19, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

That is a good point, I did work at the model shop on campus for several years. I managed to learn a lot about woodworking, welding etc. Most of it has proven to be more useful on my Do It Yourself home improvement projects than at my work, but very useful none the less.

Jul 19, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

architecture school is tiring. Extremely tiring on the system. I would think about what not only pays well enough, but something that won't leave you drained afterwards (construction, etc). Also things you can do on your own time might work as well - as I'm sure you'll be held up in the studio anyway.

Jul 19, 08 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i worked for pepsi at one point...... as a sales merchandiser...... all i did was drive to a few stores and stock the shelves...paid decent and had a good schedual........

or look into a big firm that has the few bucks to blow on an intern to go grunt work....

and most firms dont care if you do construction.......

or you can buy bulk candy and hustle that at night...... i did that...hahaha...... but mainly traded..... like 4 laffy taffys for a can of pop.......

b

Jul 19, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
cayne1

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I just transferred out of the BAC after two years so I know the Boston job scene is pretty rough right now. It would be ideal to stay in the industry, but I'll be competing with all those poor BAC souls that have to have a job in this tough market. I think they'll get the sympathy vote over myself, so I've expanded my search.
The wood shop or metal shop are really good suggestions, I'll drop by school on Monday to see what's available. Thanks.
BTW - my back is too messed up for construction.

Jul 19, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i have 2 bad knees.... 1 surgury..replaced acl and menicus repair...... then 2 compressed disks in my lower back....... messed up neck (mine is straight and it's supposed to be curved)..... a torn hamstring......and a pulled shoulder........

so dont give me no excuses....hahahahah

b

Jul 19, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

How the hell do you breakdance, cryzko?

Jul 19, 08 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
binary

thats how i blew out my back and torn my hamstring...hahaha

my style is more popping/locking/robotics now.....

i blew out my right knee in 92 in football......

in 2002 blew out my left knee....had surgury on 2004

i used to do suicide flips and 1 arm plants when i would break.... but never hit the floor due to my knees.....

b

Jul 19, 08 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

Getting an internship at a firm is a great idea. You will get paid, maybe not as much as you could elsewhere but it is what you are going into. The staff will be nice to you so don't worry if you find it intimidating at first. There is a chance you would be doing some humble work at first like filing a product library or organizing material samples.

Jul 20, 08 4:24 am  · 
 · 
cou2

Construction is generally full time and then some. Mon through Fri 7-5 is fairly normal. It's pretty hard to do this and go to school at the same time. There is a chance that large company may have room for a part time person a couple of days a week. Or a small general contractor might just need a little help here and there. I actually had to quit my job in construction shortly after I started school. It's good experience though and wouldn't mind doing it again. Though seeing as I'm going to school for architecture I should probably try to find a job in the architecture field.

Jul 21, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

slide library --...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Jul 21, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Architecture reading room, I worked 40 hrs a month and read every book I re-stacked on the shelf. I thought it was great research time and got paid.

Jul 21, 08 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
cayne1

Slide library sounds good - maybe a chance to get work done while on the clock, and help someone every couple hours.

Jul 22, 08 11:20 am  · 
 · 
weem_of_crete

Just show up at the docks and say Joey sent you.

Jul 22, 08 11:37 am  · 
 · 
cou2

Many big schools have a planning office for planning overseeing new construction and renovations. A job in an office like this would probably great for architecture and urban planning students. The architecture dept at the school I am going to suggested that I look into the planning office for a job - I'm still waiting for an opening.

Jul 22, 08 11:42 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

an office is a good way to go, if you can find one that pays
they tend to be more flexible with hours, as someone said above
if you have to call out last second because you were in the studio too late or got behind on your work, they tend to be more understanding and dont fire you on the spot for that

if you work outside the field, missing work last second could just get you fired

freelance rendering could be a good way to go too
not sure the market for it, but it can be done on the side easy enough
i dont know if that would be steady enough, but it might not need to be

Jul 22, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

I bar tend part time at a nice bar and do freelance renderings on the side through friends I know while going to school and still have the money to party and live it up. Be careful who you get involved with on renderings, otherwise you'll end up being someone's bitch for a while at a set price before you do the work. I think I'll wait til grad school for an internship, since I make way more money doing what I do now.

Jul 22, 08 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

I also have a steady flow of action if you catch what I'm throwing.

Jul 22, 08 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
cayne1

B.H. - I don't quite understand what you're throwing....please elucidate for everyone's benefit. In great detail, if at all possible. Use lots of good adjectives and adverbs while you're at it. You know, for clarity.

Jul 23, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind
http://www.asexstories.com/Horny-Wife/
Sep 3, 08 4:24 am  · 
 · 
mekra

I have also worked in school, we do some magazine (even with some erotic photos). Not big money, but it was really cool.

May 21, 17 6:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: