Archinect
anchor

the miller house (should be more famous)

aquapura
google maps
Aug 28, 08 11:04 am  · 
 · 
zigfromsa

I don't see what the hype is all about, it still looks like boxes to me.

Aug 28, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 

you're definitely missing it, then, zig. i've been to a bunch of amazing and much more recognized houses and this is by far the best ever.

Aug 28, 08 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Maybe you have to be a coorb fan to enjoy it. I thought Villa Savoie was amazing to see in person, but non-corb people hate it. By looking at the aerial all the "new" stuff around the Miller house looks like suburban developer schlock. Would you prefer that? I doubt it.

Aug 28, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Wow, it really does sit as a pearl amongst a sea crap doesn't it?

Aug 28, 08 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

That google map is sooo depressing. Less than twenty years and it looks like the last stand of the alamo. Feels kind of hopeless.

Aug 28, 08 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

It's right up I-75, may have to road trip up there when I move back south.

Aug 28, 08 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

you'd want to try to arrange to get in. that's where the magic is. email me if you want contact info.

Aug 28, 08 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thanks for posting that link to google maps, aquapura. It is radically changed, but from it you can see the approach was through an allee of trees that then suddenly opened to the right where you would see the northwest facade, with the southwest stair peeking out. So cool.

And yes, if you're planning an architour, try to arrange to get inside - the UK school of architecture might also be able to help. I only saw it from the outside and it's so spatially complex and detail-oriented that I know I only got 1/4 the whole experience, if that!

Aug 28, 08 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

from the Google map it looks like the house is holding back suburbia from eating up the countryside....

Aug 28, 08 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

it's failed, emilio. the area around the house is now being developed as a house farm.

Aug 29, 08 7:28 am  · 
 · 
zigfromsa

Perhaps all those tract home buyers are there b/c they like to look at the Miller house and like to show it off to their visitors.

It still looks like its made from plenty of lines and boxes to me, its very sterile in fact, like an office building, it just doesn't look or feel like a home to me. I don't like sterile, sterile is like fake genuine, sort of like those model homes or something.

Aug 29, 08 9:22 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I dunno zig, it's not sterile in a Japanese Modern way, there's alot of material richness in that place, between the wood, concrete, and steel there's alot of good stuff to run your hands over in there.

I love the feel of warm concrete for some reason.

Aug 29, 08 9:35 am  · 
 · 

just went down there yesterday. it's true, the photos don't do it justice, the interior is incredible.

www.flickr.com/photos/evandagan/sets/72157608274765209/show/

Oct 22, 08 11:29 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

beautiful photos, thanks for posting that Evan!

is the UK school of architecture restoring it? looks like most of the graffiti has been painted over. what a mess i can't believe how fast it was taken over by those vandals.

that concrete stair with the wood is HOTT!

Oct 22, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yay, Evan, I'm so glad you got to go see it!

Oct 23, 08 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

and - here's a link to the foundation that's overseeing the restoration:

http://www.thefoundationforadvancedarchitecture.org/

Oct 23, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Nice photos indeed, Evan. The house is a thing for architects to drool over, and a veritable symposium in detailing...but can there be too much of a good thing? It feels like Oubrerie put EVERY form and detail he ever accumulated or thought of in this house, to the point where it feels like there's no simple or quiet passages to the design, nowhere to rest (that's just from seeing the pics). Then again, if I ever got the chance to do a house like that, I would probably do the same.
The restorers are doing a nice job.

Oct 23, 08 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

when i visited the caretaker did tell us her first couple of weeks were like sensory overload but that she settled in after that and felt more comfortable.

Oct 23, 08 8:44 pm  · 
 · 

not that she lives there. she just comes daily to check on the place and maybe work on it some.

Oct 23, 08 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

evan thats' an insane photo collection of that building.

Oct 23, 08 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i just purchase ga houses 35

yay

Nov 7, 12 1:34 am  · 
 · 

update: the house is on the market again, price slashed to $550,000. 

https://archpaper.com/2017/04/jose-oubrerie-miller-house/

Apr 11, 17 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Here is Eero Saarinen's "Miller" House in Columbus, Indiana, not too far away. The Midwest is not too shabby in places.

Apr 11, 17 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

GET THAT OUTTA HERE!

This is Jose's thread.

:angry:

Apr 11, 17 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The Saarinen house is also known for its landscape architecture by Daniel Kiley. Jose comes up a little scruffy.

Apr 12, 17 7:53 am  · 
 · 
Sam Apoc

Pretty cool virtual tour of this building from the listing Evan linked above:

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=7Jn6dSiMtvV&mls=1

Apr 12, 17 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

That Matterport 3D reconstruction is insane - I love how glitchy it is. Obviously their algorithm is used to assembling simpler spaces. The individual 360 Photos are great.

Apr 12, 17 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

The more and more I look at this house, the more and more it feels like an Eisenman/Corbusier mashup clusterf**k.

That's not a good thing. My hometown Miller House is far better.

Apr 12, 17 6:11 pm  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: