Zaha does Shoes

Zaha Hadid

| Melissa

Jun 27, 08 2:24 pm
liberty bell

WTF?

Jun 27, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

the middle ones are almost tolerable... but not quite.

Jun 27, 08 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

are Zaha's feet really that big? i'm watching w/o sound so i really don't understand what's going on. still, the red and blue ones are interesting [looking].

Jun 27, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

well rationalist, i guess you and i ought never to go shoe shopping together.

Jun 27, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

buildings, cars, shoes... and dolls! (in the news)

I'm waiting for a Planet Zaha restaurant anyday... franchises all over the world

Jun 27, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

well colcol, I just happen to really, really love t-straps, and figure the height of the heel isn't bad. But yeah, plastic just isn't something I enjoy wearing on my feet.

Jun 27, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
SoulBrother#1

They look better as sculpture than as shoes.
Unless we find Gargamel's(Smurfs) girlfriend to try em' on.

Jun 27, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I actually like the form of the pink ones, especially the asymmetry between feet. But yeah, plastic?! And those huge shoe props made of foam covered in plastic?! Are we aware that these materials are not especially good for the environment, and that when foam is used for a temporary exhibit/prop piece it's still going to last forever in a landfill? As I said, wtf? I just don't get this. and don't really see any info on either Melissa's or Zaha's website explaining any of it further.

How did you find this, Paul?

Jun 27, 08 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
M+

if anything,the red is the most interesting,look & material.

Jun 27, 08 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
SoulBrother#1

Looks like Zaha is just trying to make it off of her name without necessarily placing a lot of effort into the design of the shoes.

Jun 27, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the unpaid intern's children go barefoot.

Jun 27, 08 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i want a zaha doll...

Jun 27, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

she should design a shoe that would fit her fat feet.

Jun 27, 08 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

harsh

Jun 27, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

fat feet....you ever look at her head? One Shoe Fits all sizes...

Jun 27, 08 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Tina says they are 'clunkers' but not in a good way.
She also said, I quote, that she does not believe Zaha will put Christian Louboutin or Manolo Blahnik or Dries van Noten out of business.
I said yeah but Zaha is a hot architect and she replied, "so what?"

· 
snook_dude

Oh ya and remember it is in the details...

· 
surface

I am a fan of all 3 of the above pairs of shoes, formally. But as rationalist said, plastic is not ideal. Eww, foot sweat. Although I don't think anything else could be used to get the "continuous" effect.

colcol - betadinesutures is a nice guy so I would give the benefit of the doubt that he didn't mean his comment in a harsh way. Fat is a description, not automatically an insult. I think shoe designers should absolutely come up with more shoes that fit and flatter fat feet!

(Score! Quadruple alliteration!)

snook_dude, wow.

Jun 27, 08 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Cool forms, they don't look at all comfortable to wear.

Jun 27, 08 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
binary

look like dollar store specials........ like all 3 pairs for $1

Jun 27, 08 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

can't judege until i see one put it on...

i assume that's how women buy shoes rite?

Jun 27, 08 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Jun 27, 08 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Jun 27, 08 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
archroma

I like the pink ones in a abstract sculpture kind of way, but wouldn't wear them on my feet. Or in that color.

They remind me of "artsy" jelly shoes. The blue pair might be cool made of string lace in another color.

T-straps are hot, but these are just kind of matronly somehow. Like in a "wicked witch of the west" way.

Jun 27, 08 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
archroma

Oh wait,

I could totally see wearing the middle ones to Das Bunker in LA. With a latex dress and cyber dreads.

Jun 28, 08 1:27 am  · 
 · 
GO ARCHITECTS!

about the shoes being plastic:

everybody is mumbling stuff about the shoes being plastic, well ladies and gentlemen, i aint no shoe expert but if you go to the website of this company, you'll see that they're a plastic shoe manufacturer. Yes, they only make plastic shoes.
if you are approached by a plastic shoe manufacturer, you will design plastic shoes.

The blue one, the pink one, and the black one, yes they are all plastic.

Vivienne westwood also designs shoes for the same company, also karim rashid etc.

And, most of the sneakers you wear every day are plastic. Thats why your feet stink so bad.

Jun 29, 08 1:39 am  · 
 · 
GO ARCHITECTS!

and also i must say kudos to zaha for designing cheap plastic shoes, she could be designing jewelery for tiffany, right?

Jun 29, 08 1:42 am  · 
 · 

ahahahahahaaa....too funny.

lb, would you really not choose shoes for environmental reasons?

everything you own is bio-d?

i guess i'd rather be a fat zaha than a skinny nobody. even better to be a skinny rem, but you know...its a karma thing. maybe one is required to choose one over the other.

oh man. architects are sooo petty. entertaining though.

carry on with the bashing

Jun 29, 08 6:41 am  · 
 · 
els25

I agree with LB on the asymmetry between feet on the pink ones.
I love it... I think it's very Zaha! would love to buy them.
Also ...plastic shoes are in.... my sis and mom got a total of 3 pairs of melissa's shoes
and they are comfortable and cute!

Jun 30, 08 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
threeewizmen

gah, you talk like this is the home shopping network els

Jul 1, 08 12:12 am  · 
 · 
rrp147

just to add to this Zaha bashfest:
the red ones are her actual design. the black chooes are by viviene westwood and the blue chooes by the Campana Brothers.

Jul 1, 08 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious

i can spell LAME. can you?

Jul 6, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

LAME final the best mp3 encoder came out this week

Jul 7, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Ansel Roach

The blue and the black shoes were not designed by Zaha. The blue was designed by Campana brothers, two furniture designs from Brazil and the black one was designed by Vivienne Westwood.

Jul 7, 08 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Jul 8, 08 12:57 am  · 
 · 
aking

the website seems cool

http://www.melissaplasticdreams.com/home

Jul 9, 08 11:09 am  · 
 · 

apparently the shoes have an upside - they are 100% recycleable

Aug 1, 08 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

post consumer ?

Aug 1, 08 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Brazilians know shoes.....and damn all Brazilian ladies do look mighty fine showing them off on the streets of Rio .

Aug 1, 08 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
n_
Melissa and Zaha—Shoe La La!

I was recently given a pair of Melissa shoes. 1) Love them. 2) So comfortable. 3) Wear them all the time.

Aug 15, 08 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Rafter

Perhaps the "model" of Zaha's shoes in the youtube video could be recycled to re-house the old lady who lived in a shoe and had so many children she didn't kbow what to do?

Nov 18, 08 7:20 am  · 
 · 
Purpurina

The design is great and asymmetric! Melissa makes great comfy shoes, I had melissas in the 80's when I was a small kid growing up in Brazil and yep, the plastic smells like tutti-frutti heheh

Nov 23, 09 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
Voltaire

There is no way she designed the blue and black ones, the pink ones somewhat reflect her conceptual style, as seen in her sculptures and early sketches.

Aug 4, 10 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: