Archinect
anchor

Vertical Sun Shading Systems???

weAREtheSTONES

Im working on the design of this facade of a acedemic building on a college campus and was looking to use vertical sun screens to block the suns southern exposure on the windows. I havent been able to find a precedent of this type of building system on google and cannot recall where I have seen this system before. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks a bunch!

Heres what I have modeled so far

And to add on a little - anyone know some pros/cons of vertical/horizontal screens? Seems its more common to use horizontal screens.

I guess if you used PV's you might want the horiz screens instead...but that may not be the case here.

Jun 10, 08 3:09 pm
drums please, Fab?

vertical screens don't block the sun around high noon

Jun 10, 08 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj
Will Bruder's Phoenix library

for one...

Jun 10, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

Also, if you're looking to [url=http://enr.construction.com/features/buildings/archives/030210.asp
]integrate PV's[/url] into the skin/cladding (from 2003)

Jun 10, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

Also, if you're looking to integrate PV's into the skin/cladding (from 2003)

Jun 10, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Google the CH2 building in Melbourne

Jun 10, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

our office has a residential condo building under construction right now that uses vertical louvres made from epé wood to add privacy and provide some shading.. I'll see if i can dig up a rendering

Jun 10, 08 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

corb kahn and correa

Jun 10, 08 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

they block early and late due north summer sun on east and west elevations

and on the north can provide a buttress effect on glazing at the ends for the same sun

as far as south side you want horizontal

Jun 10, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

brise soleil

Jun 10, 08 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

here's that rendering i mentioned:

the system was not only meant to provide (some) shading, but also privacy along a busy a street corner.

Jun 11, 08 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

THANKS ALL...STRAIGHT ANSWERS AND SARCASTIC REMARKS ALIKE ;-)

Jun 11, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

horiz on south

vert on east west

Aug 26, 08 9:43 am  · 
 · 

dude you didn't get any sarcastic remarks, trust me. Oh and vertical shading can protect against mid day sun but only if the window opening is very small or the louvers very large in their projection.

Wish you luck

Aug 26, 08 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Jayness

Yes, Southern exposire usually requires horizontal shading, but vertical fins are also a great way of mitigating eastern and western exposures, especially if they can assume different orientations to the facade. Morphosis's San Fran Federal building has exterior vertical fins shading the building and so does SOM's World Trade Center in China.

Aug 26, 08 10:06 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

OFF TOPIC!

*angry*

Feb 14, 12 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
manjulatajaiswal

Can you please tell me on which side does the vertical sun protector on wall opening cut the summer sun rays?

May 15, 17 8:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: