Archinect
anchor

cnc mill question

utopianrobot

i'm milling 3/4" oak veneer plywood with a compression mill bit.  it's cutting cleanly for the most part but there is still quite a bit of splintering at the top along the edge of the veneer being milled.  would using a v-bit clean up the edges?  

what do people suggest?  thanks.  

Jun 22, 13 1:54 pm

Use a carbide router bit. Milling cutters are designed for metal, not wood.

Jun 22, 13 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
utopianrobot

Thank you Miles, I will try one out.  

Jun 26, 13 1:27 am  · 
 · 
J5LO

While checking out different bits, pay attention to whether the bit you are using is an upwards or downwards spiral. Upwards spirals pull out excess material more efficiently, but have a tendency to splinter the surface of wood. Downwards spirals put more downward force on the surface which prevents splintering, but does not remove debris as well.

Jun 26, 13 11:44 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

If you're switching from a mill bit to a router bit, make sure the router bit is rated for the tool speed of your machine. Putting a consumer router bit in an industrial spindle can have nasty consequences.

Jun 26, 13 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

Woodworking spindle speeds are generally much higher than metalworking speeds. My Bridgeport mill maxes at around 2,700 rpm, my Bosch router at 25,000 rpm. You'll need a slow feed to compensate for the reduced rpm.

Jun 26, 13 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: