Archinect
anchor

Help Identify An Old Photo Architectural Style

steper

Greetings,

I have an old photo sent to me from the local museum. I am trying to determine the architecture style. I was thinking Georgian but the porch design makes me think it is not. I was also getting  Greek Revival but again, the porch blows that to bits. Can anyone help me? This image was taken around the 1920s, as far as I am aware.

Thanks for your time. I appreciate your insight!

Jun 21, 13 3:54 pm
gruen
I'm thinking its a mix of styles. The main mass is somewhat Italianate, especially the heavy cornice and flattish roof. Porch looks late Victorian to me, perhaps with catalog bought scrollwork. Lets face it- it's a box with some stuff stuck on it, and no specimen of any particular style. Call it American Venacular with a twist.
Jun 21, 13 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
observant

These questions come up regularly and the answer in most cases is that the style is eclectic, or there wouldn't be so much controversy.  One thing it's not is Greek revival.  There is something Italianate about it, in the massing of the hip roof, the heaviness of the overhangs, and the brackets.  However, the brackets are paired and almost have a train station like vocabulary about them.  The porch has Victorian ornamentation where the posts meet the beams, and only there.  The porch railing is generic, though.  Also, with a very quick glance, without looking at small elements, the tall/skinny proportions of the windows and overall feel say French Second Empire.  If the Victorian gingerbread was gone and the 2nd story windows were segmental arch topped, I'd say French Second Empire.  So, it's an eclectic mix of traditional American / Victorian and/or stick style / Italianate / French Second Empire.

Jun 21, 13 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
steper

Observant, Your mention of train station resemblances astounds me. In fact, this was the first building plotted in a town built entirely around a railway. I can't thank both of you enough for your feedback. I wasn't hoping to find out it is some unique piece of architecture. My interest is solely in its uniqueness in the community. Thanks for your feedback!

Jun 22, 13 12:01 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

It's called American Four Square 

Jun 22, 13 9:03 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

what's the interest in identifying a 'style' for old houses?  is this a bit of information one would be interested in using in conversation?  perhaps you're writing a book?  surely if someone said this was italianate instead of greek revival, you wouldn't use that information to inform design choices when redoing the kitchen?  if it was just a cookie cutter sears standard-built home, detailed with pre-cut lumber that happened to be in their lumber yard at that particular moment in time, would that really  make a difference?

being the oldest home in an area does provide a bit of charm, and because it was first there is a good story to tell.  if it were me, i would try to find out about the first homeowner and tell their story instead.

Jun 22, 13 9:13 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

There is no way that is Greek Revival. It's American Four Square with a bit of Italianette in there 

Jun 22, 13 10:53 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Foursquare

Jun 22, 13 10:54 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Agree American Foursquare
Jun 22, 13 11:17 am  · 
 · 
anonitect

If they are looking for historic designation, the NPS wants a style, and American Foursquare isn't one of the options

Jun 22, 13 11:31 am  · 
 · 
steper

The home used to be an old church, and then the first schoolhouse in the neighborhood. It was constructed in 1857. This photo was taken assumingly 75 years later when the home was turned into a duplex. It is now an abandoned single family home. The history of the building interests me. The building itself, i'm sure, has little semblance to its original look now. It sits in a historic district but is not "historic" assumingly because of the transformations it has undergone over the past 150 years. I have searched local museums and county museums for its mention and have dug up little information other than the mentions of the buildings existence and some old letters from children who went to the two room schoolhouse around the time of the civil war.

Jun 22, 13 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I read  the American Foursquare link - some interesting things.  Later renditions could have Italianate, Craftsman, or cornice bracket elements.  However, I don't see any dormers.  It said they were popular along rail lines, too.

I see the Bates Motel look minus the mansard.  That's where I picked up Second Empire.

Curt, the lumber yard connection is funny.  Sounds like VE is something you do well!

But if you look at the NPS options, you'll see how the styles run together when close in sequence, and piggyback on elements.

Jun 22, 13 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Too big to be a four square, which was intended as an economical design and so called because the plan is more or less quartered into four squares.

Doesn't look like a Sears.

Jun 22, 13 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

This book is pretty much the one for broad classification of historical residential styles: http://www.amazon.com/A-Field-Guide-American-Houses/dp/0394739698

Jun 22, 13 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams
Not foursquare. It's too old (and not four squares). I think the first few posts were the closest. A uniquely American structure like a Sherwood Anderson short story. I like it.
Jun 22, 13 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

American Four Square:  My grandpa's house was built in 1910 and it was American Four Square.  Low Hip roof, Single Chimney.  Large Dormer windows.  Main entry door located on axis of house.  Ya some carpenter got a little fancy and tossed on a porch, and a bit of  the Italian  eve brackets.  The massing and window placement has American Four Square written all over it.

Jun 23, 13 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Georgeon or greek, whatever may it be; this monument is part of human history. I wonder what all great works were displayed here.

www.synarts.com/

Sep 30, 13 7:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: