Archinect
anchor

Master in Architecture v/s Master in Urban planning

I am applying for Masters. But I am confused between Masters in Architecture and Masters in Urban Planning.

What should I choose as I want to go towards Sustainability side like Green design etc? And which Masters have better prospects in terms of employment or Self practice in United States?

May 24, 11 8:09 pm

there are lots of degree choices that you need to sort through before sending off your applications. MArch is a professional degree (ie you can become a licensed architect), while a MUD doesn't help get you licenced in anything, but can help your career. A MS in Sustainable Architecture is another direction to consider.

Since you didn't say what your undergrad degree was, I'm assuming that it wasn't in design (or you'd already know the answer to your question). Perhaps you should look for programs that offer dual degrees (like a MArch/MUD or MArch/MS Architect) or certificates in sustainablity or urbanism.

For practice, in most cases you'll need a license as architect, landscape architect, civil engineer, (but planners aren't licensed) before you can land municipal clients. Urban design only practices are rare. So make sure you get a professional degree from an accredited program. 

There are a few programs that have both a sustainability and urbanism expertise, it's worth trying to find those if that's your intent. (That wasn't your question so I won't provide that list at this point).

May 25, 11 11:43 am  · 
 · 
burningman

I think OP is asking about and MUP, not an MUD... To OP, do you have a B.Arch? If so, your best bet in this market is to find yourself a job with a firm that does the things you are looking for. It's much more practical than going back to school, racking up debt, and coming out with no guarantee of work.

If you do have a B.Arch and really need to go back to to school, I think you would get much more out of the education by going for an MUP. An M.Arch tends to be overly theoritical - often repeating the same things in undergrad -  while an MUP tends to be more objective. There are many schools that offer both programs and it may be worth looking into those schools.

May 25, 11 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Oh yeah. There are lots of MUP (or MURP) programs around. you can categorize them into programs within design schools, and planning programs in policy schools.  Planners mostly work for government agencies, very few work in private practice without already having an architecture or landscape degree. Planning tends to be very legalistic and focused on economic impacts, so not a place where designers will feel fulfilled. the world of planning is several years behind design in dealing with sustainability (except for a few rare instances of enlightenment). There are several programs with dual MArch/MURP or MLA/MUP available. Planizen has tons of info on planning programs.

May 25, 11 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
kanikabhargava

I have a 5year course bachelor in Architecture degree from India  but it is not accredited in US.

May 25, 11 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
mac1231

I have a similar question: better to get a Masters in Urban Design or Masters of Science in Architecture? I already have a M. Arch prof degree.

May 25, 11 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
kanikabhargava

Mac1231:

In which field do you have Masters degree in?

May 25, 11 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
mac1231

Masters in Architecture - 3 year professional degree, my undergrad was environmental design

May 25, 11 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
kanikabhargava

barry lehrman:

I want to do sustainable design progrm.

Which courses are you talking about?

May 25, 11 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Peter Normand

If you apply to a Masters of Architecture degree that is NAAB accredited you should be able to finish in two years and eventually become a licensed architect after an internship / apprenticeship period. Some schools will look favorably on your international perspective when applying in the US. 

Urban planning is small small small, less than 2 dozen schools to choose from. One leader in urban planning and sustainability is the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign.  They also have a master of architecture and a master of landscape architecture with several faculty with close ties to India.

Urban Planning and Urban Design are two very different things. Urban design lays out streets parks, the sidewalks and other physical features that are a major part of the urban environment, this can be pursued within a landscape architecture degree program. 

Urban planning is relatively new field and is concerned with the policies and the social and economic impacts of those policies.  Urban planners are sometimes looked down in the US since the great urban renewal disasters from 1960-1980s a series of huge miscalculations and mistakes that were championed by the leaders of the emerging urban planning profession.  The recovery is ongoing for Urban Planners but there is still a stigma within the design professions. 

Some of what urban planners do is mapping out future streets roads and transit systems but they no longer have sole authority to do this and are beholden to a massively complex system of community oversight boards and consensus building.  You should enjoy politics and negotiating since that is a major aspect of the job.  Urban planners don’t design as much as they calculate analyze and collect feedback.  They still are creative problem solvers but their tool box is policies and incentives not plantings or fenestration.

May 26, 11 9:17 pm  · 
 · 

PJN, sorry, but planning has been taught longer then Landscape Architect or Urban Design as separate degrees in the US, MIT was the first full blown school to do so.

Kani, a few  of the oldest MS is sustainable architecture/design programs in the US include: University of Washington, University of Minnesota (where I've been teaching), Portland State, University of Texas-Austin, and USC. There are also several long established 'environmental design' programs including Cal Poly Pomona, where you can get a MS in Regenerative Design. Also look into the University of British Columbia, and Guelph. There are tons of newer programs out there, that may have feature that appeal to you, so dig around at the NAAB's website.

At Minnesota, we also have a certificate in Metropolitan Design, and will be rolling out a one year MS in sustainable landscape design that is aimed at international students.

I recently counted 13 programs in the NYC region that offer MUD or similar programs, while Los Angeles has at least 4. Perhaps you should choose a geographic region or two that you's like to go to school in and look at all the potential programs. Good luck

May 26, 11 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
jayram

barry lehrman....

I completed my B.Arch in 2010 from a reputed Indian University.(Chennai)

I want to know the difference between doing a 1yr Specialization course like Interior Design or Digital Arch and doing a 2yr M.Arch. Most univs specify that the 2yrs M.arch makes one eligible for licensure. Does it mean i cant work or earn ther with a 1 yr specializtion(abroad). Or does it mean that whether or not I have a M.Arch, by interning abroad for a prescribed time (Comes to 2 yrs)with B.Arch from India, I can start earning abroad?

Jun 7, 11 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Peter Normand

Your question is complex

NCARB controls this aspect of practicing architecture through IDP and such

http://www.ncarb.org/

A masters from the US is what you need to become an Architect in the US or you need to figure out what states allow international degrees and registration to apply. NCARB has all of this info.  Also be aware you may need more than 2 years for a masters of architecture, some schools are sneaky about this.

Jun 7, 11 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
jayram

PJN26

Thanks for the reply.

Will go thro that NCARB site.

I also want to know the average  pay for an intern 

Jun 8, 11 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
kanikabhargava

JAYRAM

sO WHAT ARE YOU THINKING OF DOING 1YR MASTER COURSE OR TWO YEAR MASTERS COURSE AND IN WHICH SPECIALLIZATION?

Jun 10, 11 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
jayram

Kanikabhargava

I want to a 1 yr specialization.....Interior Design in particular....I dont think i can afford a 2 yr course........Thats why I wanted to know whether i can step into the field once I am done with the 1 yr course....

Jun 10, 11 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
aniizhaithirumeni

I graduated with bachelors degree in Architecture from India

Now I wish to apply to Master of science in architecture in sustainability, I am confused between choosing M.Arch or MS(sustainable architecture).

Which one would be right to choose if i want to work in US? and if i choose MS (sustainability) what are a my job opportunities in US?

Oct 24, 16 6:05 am  · 
 · 
ummekulsum

hello,

i graduate with bachelor degree in architecture from india.

Now i want to do my master's from UK in urban planing but i get scholarship for urban development planning ( 1- year course) . my confusion is, what is difference between urban development planning ( Msc ) and urban planning (M.Arch) and what is difference between Msc and M.Arch. is it make difference in market value or on job.

Dec 17, 16 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
himanshuwaster

HELLO TO EVERYONE

ITS HIMANSHU FROM MUMBAI.RECENTLY I HAD COMPLETED MY B.ARCH FROM MUMBAI UNIVERSITY. I NEED HELP REGARDING THE TEACHING PATTERN FOR M.ARCH IN ABOARD.IAM LOOKING FOR M.ARCH FOR URBAN DESIGN AND REGIONAL PLANNING.WHICH COUNTRY IS BEST FOR M.ARCH IN URBAN DESIGN.CHEAP AND BEST COUNTRY.

THANK YOU TO EVERONE

May 12, 18 7:59 am  · 
 · 
ZoeNaq
To all the international graduates commenting on the post, I’m an international graduate too and I recently found out that you can get licensure without going for a masters degree by getting your degree evaluated from NAAB and once that is done you can start AXP which was called IDP before, and then once that is fulfilled you may prepare for your AREs for licensure. I’m in the same boat of not spending more money on a degree , I’d rather work in the field and get to know it much better through experience. Hope this helps!
May 14, 18 11:23 am  · 
 · 
ZoeNaq
To all the international graduates commenting on the post, I’m an international graduate too and I recently found out that you can get licensure without going for a masters degree by getting your degree evaluated from NAAB and once that is done you can start AXP which was called IDP before, and then once that is fulfilled you may prepare for your AREs for licensure. I’m in the same boat of not spending more money on a degree , I’d rather work in the field and get to know it much better through experience. Hope this helps!
May 14, 18 11:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: