Archinect
anchor

Los Angeles Architecture Map

I have started a map of Los Angeles Architecture with the help of some good friends. I hope this wil become a useful community resource which makes finding and studying Los Angeles’ built heritage much easier. This is an an ongoing project with more buildings and additional information added on a continual basis

http://maison-orion.com/architecture-maps/

Scott M B Gustafson, Principal

MAISON ORION

May 24, 11 3:50 pm
Bruce Prescott

The irony of the place mark for Lorcan O'Herlihy's new condo overshadowing the mark for Schindler's King's Road house can not go unmentioned.  Nice effort.

May 25, 11 12:33 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Nice map. Very interesting. The planner in me would like to see the pins color coded by building use/typology (residential, commerical office, etc.). Also an image thumbnail next to description would make the map ten times more powerful.

Great job.

May 25, 11 10:01 am  · 
 · 
cyberpunk10

It looks like a very good start. I agree with ^^. 

May 25, 11 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I would recommend renaming it the "Map of Los Angeles Modernist Architecture".

May 25, 11 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Shit! Schindler will be fully represented on this.

Photo thumbnails will be added soon.

Modern, Post-Modern, Pre-Columbian, the goal is just to cover everything interesting.

Thanks for the comments.

Scott

May 25, 11 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

Several updates have been made to the map. Suggestions and recommendations for interesting buildings in out of the ways places are appreciated.

http://maison-orion.com/architecture-maps/

Thanks,

Scott

Dec 10, 13 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

Scott,

This is awesome.  

There's a great Schindler that I drive by almost every day at 5958 8th, Just East of Fairfax.

http://www.trianglemodernisthouses.com/schindler.htm

Thanks for making this terrific resource.

Dec 10, 13 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Great work here, Scott.  

It reminds me of my favorite wish for our fair metropolis: an organization similar to the Chicago Architecture Foundation.  The LA Conservancy, the A+D Museum, and The Getty are all good starts.  But a true clearinghouse for all things architecture for the LA region would be, as the kids (used to) say, awesome.

Dec 10, 13 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I see that the very unique Alex Theater in Glendale is on the map, and with a red indicator!

Have other movie theaters such as the Fox Westwood Village Theater and the Cinerama Dome Theater been accorded similar status?  And possibly some others?

What a tapestry of architecture!  I, for one, would like to see more architecturally significant entertainment venues on the map. 

Dec 10, 13 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

PS - If anyone knows a developer familiar with Mapbox who wants to work on improving this, I can pay in Le Corbusier anectdotes.

Dec 10, 13 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: