Archinect
anchor

Please help!!! USC or Cal Poly SLO for architecture?

HeyImNew

I read many postings regarding USC vs Cal Poly SLO already, but i just want to hear more recent thinkings.

I recently got accepted to both USC and SLO for arch. USC will place me in the second year if I take summer. SLO will place me in the third year if I take summer. I highly doubt that I will take summer for USC because of the price, which mean I will be a freshmen. ( hopefully, second semester at least). However, I will take summer if I go to SLO. Just pretend that i will have to put out the same amount of money to go to either school, can you guys give me some inputs in terms of

1. How good is their program and what is it like?

2. I heard that USC has so many connections, but does this really help me find a job after graduation?

3. Which one will prepare me better to land a job?

4. Will urban or rural setting really play a big part of my architecture education? ( assuming that I will be in studio all day and night).

please help me... It's a big decision. Any opinion would help. Thank you.

Jun 5, 13 1:41 pm
observant

This is a difficult question, in a way.  Evidently, you are pursuing a 5 year B.Arch., taking Berkeley out of the running, since they are on the 4+2 system.

1.  Cal Poly SLO, although equipped with a design sequence the whole way through, emphasizes technical competence.  USC is more middle of the road this way, if you were to add Berkeley back into the equation to make this comparison.

2.  Both USC and Cal Poly SLO grads seem to fare well.  USC has the great connections as a body of alums, and that would include the architecture school, while Cal Poly SLO carries the notion that "oh, you must be competent, then..." 

3. See (2).

4. L.A. is a unique urban laboratory and the school is right there, south of the Financial District and north of a not so great area.  Now, the Aqua/Expo Line of Metro runs right in front of the school.  Cal Poly SLO means a wonderful setting.  You can go to the beach at Morro Bay,which is very close, or day trip to areas around Santa Barbara, if you are fortunate to have that window of time.  I've heard that a lot of Cal Poly grads want to remain in that area, and can't make it work, so they return to urban centers. They are so different this way that it depends on your own values.

Jun 5, 13 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
HeyImNew

From my understanding of what you said on #2, both schools will prepare me for the industry after graduation right? 

Jun 5, 13 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I think so.

However, I have worked with more Cal Poly SLO grads than I have USC grads.  The Cal Poly folks seem to come into an office and immediately be productive and technically able, in this intangible more vocational sort of way.  They have their own vibe.  That isn't to say that USC grads aren't competent, too, because they are.

Like I said, this isn't an easy choice because much of it depends on a personality fit between you and the school.  Visit both campuses.

Jun 5, 13 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

This is the exact choice I was facing 35 years ago.  (I chose USC.)  Of course, this doesn't help you now, but it does take me back...

Jun 5, 13 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Bennythejetr
I was in the same scenario back in 2001. I chose USC simply because they offered me a better financial aid package. But l do feel from what I read that if I had gone to Cal Poly, I would have been better prepared in terms of technical ability.

One things that has always stuck with me was what a professor told me during a review. I had drawn a footing detail and had included the rebar, after researching how many and what type it needed. He looks at it and says to me, "Take the rebar out, that's not your job."

Seems to me that at least when I was in school, USC was more Design driven where as Cal Poly was more Technically driven.
Jun 5, 13 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
HeyImNew

In this economy, should I choose to be more technical or design oriented? May I ask you if you had any trouble looking for a job after graduated from USC?

Jun 5, 13 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Bennythejetr
I'm not sure what's best for this economy. Best way to choose is to see which program suits your interest more.

After graduation it took 4 months and about 12 interviews before getting offered 2 positions. That was back in 2006.
Jun 5, 13 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I had drawn a footing detail and had included the rebar, after researching how many and what type it needed. He looks at it and says to me, "Take the rebar out, that's not your job." 

Typically did not put rebar into my design graphics, but did know about the sizing and spacing pursuant to a concrete course.  The reality is that it is your job!  (I know you know that, but for students and prospective students reading).  At least in the real world.  You may not call out the size of the rebar, but you will call out that it's there, and add "per structural drawings."

As for the which school is better in THIS economy, that is hard to say.  Cal Poly grads tend to go north, south, and central with California.  Some may go out of state and international.  I'd venture to say most USC grads stay right in the area.

And it's wise of you to ask all these questions.  I was faced with a choice of USC, Cal Poly SLO, and Berkeley for undergrad, no one could explain the differences to me let alone even mentioning the significance of one of them being a 4 year program, and I walked away from architecture, only to do it in grad school.

Jun 5, 13 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
mfischer3387

Honestly, if you're already placing in your 2nd/3rd year, you've probably already found a good means of digesting architecture information on your own. By which I mean, I don't think you're necessarily reliant on professors to give you a ton of insight into what you want to get out of your educational experience.

You're going to get a good network of peers at either school. The only thing I could say is for USC, you might find more individuals who have better connections in Los Angeles (potential clients who would want to spend money) but Cal Poly is probably the best 5-year B. Arch on the west coast. I ended up going to Oregon, and applied to both schools. I chose it over USC and don't regret it one bit.

Rural vs. Urban isnt much of a factor here, since you'll have klout graduating from either school up and down the west coast. People aren't going to hire you based on if you went to school on the moon. They want to know what you can do.

Jun 5, 13 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
petitcomments

I'm a fairly recent grad from the Cal Poly arch program and I thought the program was great. The school has weaned off of being as technical as before and is trying raise it's standards in other areas of design and theory and digital fabrication. This allowed a lot of students to pursue what they really wanted to do. And most teachers were able to accommodate the student's desires. If you liked details, do details. If you like theoretical projects, do theoretical projects. There was a professor for every interest. That makes your job knowing what you're most interested in. You could almost tailor your education to the types of firms you wanted to work for.

Professors stress the combination of conceptual design and constructability, not one or the other. There's also a huge stress on sustainable design, which I think well help you a lot in the future. The school as a whole is very sustainable and there's campus farms and orchards where you can pick your own fruits and veggies. The campus is gorgeous which I think is a big plus when you want to destress from studio.

Also, if you decide to work in California, I wouldn't dismiss the body of Cal Poly alums. Yes, we are, as a whole, terrible about keeping in touch with the school as alumni, but every firm I visited/interviewed at had a fair amount of Cal Poly alum on staff. Cal Poly definitely has a reputation and even though you won't be connected through some alumni association, firms will recognize Cal Poly's name. It makes a difference if you want to work somewhere other than Southern Californa. Like Observant said, Cal Poly grads tend to move all over. Most USC students stay where they are.

Last but not least, there was a question about finding a job in this economy. Most of the grads I knew from Cal Poly have a job that pays a salary, not an internship stipend, and they all found it within 6 months of graduating. 

Jun 6, 13 9:53 am  · 
 · 
HeyImNew

I see, thank you so much for your opinions. May I ask you when did you graduate? 

Jun 6, 13 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

go with the school, with the most beer kegs.

Jun 6, 13 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I work in an office with many SLO graduates. Though they are technically able, I would venture to say it stops there, at technically able. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I've not met any SLO grad yet who has a different take on design, or the design process, or demonstrate significant design leadership. I would say it depends on what you want to learn out of Architecture school, and the type of work you want to pursue.

Look at the student works on the website.

Jun 7, 13 12:54 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"Also, if you decide to work in California, I wouldn't dismiss the body of Cal Poly alums. Yes, we are, as a whole, terrible about keeping in touch with the school as alumni, but every firm I visited/interviewed at had a fair amount of Cal Poly alum on staff"

Damn right, it is an incestuous group, and rather insular unfortunately, with everyone drinking the same Kool-Aid.

Jun 7, 13 12:56 am  · 
 · 
observant

Damn right, it is an incestuous group, and rather insular unfortunately

They sort of are, and notice that they don't call it Cal Poly or SLO among themselves, but San Luis?

I haven't had much of an issue with them in offices.  They're generally, though not always, fairly down to earth.  But, yeah, they stick together long after school, while graduates of the 4 year Berkeley program hardly seem to know each other anywhere near as well.

Jun 7, 13 1:23 am  · 
 · 

Hey, "HeyImNew", So I am a current student at Cal Poly SLO, i just finished my fourth year and am about to start my fifth and final year at POLY. I first would like to say that Cal Poly is a great school and the architecture department is fantastic. 

One thing that I would like to point out are the opportunities Cal Poly presents to its students. In your fourth year, Cal Poly arch encourages everyone to explore architecture outside of san luis obispo. Quite a few of my fellow peers flew over seas and have been studying in copenhagen, germany, spain, italy, australia, and india. I on the other hand chose a more "professional route". In the fall I moved to San Francisco and did a 5 week studio and 6 week internship at HOK, in the winter I worked at Gensler Los Angeles and did some remarkable things there.

here is a link to what I did, http://www.archdaily.com/350991/capacity-gensler-los-angeles-academic-studio/.

And finally I just finished another 10 week internship at RNT architects in San Diego. So after this summer I will have worked at 6 different architecture firms and alot of that had to do with Cal Poly's name, it is regarded very high!! I highly recommend Cal Poly and if you do end up here, hit me up! I'll be glad to show you around. Feel free to message or email me and we can continue this conversation.

BTW i transfered into my second year. Best of luck on your decision, both schools are great!

Jun 7, 13 1:35 am  · 
 · 
HeyImNew

Oh wow thank you so much guys. All these feedbacks really helped. Seems like almost everyone says that cal poly is a great school. I'll definitely hit you up Derek, thank you. Since I heard so much about cal poly already, does anyone know much about USC program after Quingyun Ma took over? How did he affect the USC program?

Jun 7, 13 2:50 am  · 
 · 
observant

Hey, on a lighter note - which alumni come to mind when we think of both schools?

Cal Poly SLO:  Weird Al Yancovik and Scott Peterson

USC:  Dr. Laura (talk show host) and Mark Sanchez

Just kidding!  There are many other more important ones from both schools.

Jun 7, 13 3:57 am  · 
 · 

Don't forget John Madden Cal Poly ;)

Jun 7, 13 4:03 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

I was at Cal Poly when Wierd Al was on the campus radio station there.  Good times.  :)

Jun 8, 13 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I was at Cal Poly when Wierd Al was on the campus radio station there. 

And how about the quality of his school work?  Or was that why he was on the radio?

Jun 8, 13 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
HeyImNew

Hey guys thanks for the feedbacks. I just wanted to let you guys know that i decided to go to USC. Thank you so much.

Jun 13, 13 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
melonmachete

Hey if you're dead set on USC I wouldn't mind helping you out the first few weeks. I've also got some textbooks you'll need to use for the first semester.

Jun 13, 13 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
HeyImNew

Yup i am set on going to USC, I made my deposit. What kind of help are we talking about? Lol. What textbooks do you have? 

Jun 14, 13 12:17 am  · 
 · 
observant

Thanks for coming back and reporting.  Some do and some don't.

What tipped the decision toward USC?  Either way, you'll get a good education and strong alumni ties!

Jun 14, 13 12:25 am  · 
 · 
HeyImNew

Well everyone here said many great things about cal poly and it was actually my first choice. But then i found out just 2 days ago that USC covered my tuition and fees, I only have to worry about housing. So financial was a big part of it. This other reason might seems weird to some of you but I realized that it will help me become more prepared for the industry. So cal poly placed me in the 3rd and USC placed me 1st year second semester. What I realized is that I went to community college and they did not prepare me much at all in terms of architecture education. So by going to USC, I will be able to take more classes and understand the major a lot better than I would at cal poly. Plus I am afraid that I will not be able to catch up with the 3rd year students at cal poly because of my previous education. Yes, this will push back my graduation but I just feel like it will benefit me more in the long run. 

Bottom line is, everyone here helped a lot and i really appreciate all the help that was provided here. However, there were many more factors that i had to consider than just the reputation and ranking of the program, there were personal issues as well. But just for those who will read this post in the future that will be in the same situation that I was in, I highly recommend going to the school that will give you the most funding. You will feel a lot more relieved and stress free (well at least for me). Lol overall, thank you guys so much for all the help, I am grateful and I really appreciate all the feedbacks. Thx.

Jun 14, 13 4:16 am  · 
 · 
pheoj

Hi! it's late but which college did u graduated? I was in the middle of confusion when i saw this page. I'm interested to take Arch, though i still haven't decide wether its BS/BA(could get some advice here). And which college that could improve my arch skill(since i'm really an average) and help me in university? or is it better to get in uni immediately? what are you suggestion? thx!

Oct 16, 18 7:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: