Archinect
anchor

working in abu dhabi, in Atkins

cj w.

hello

Does anyone have information as to the typical living standards e.g. housing costs, food costs, and other expenses in abu dhabi?

Also, what about salary rates for an architect with 3 1/2 years experience?

and lastly, about work environment and ethics in Atkins? What about the processes and work flow that happens in their studio?

Any information is totally welcome! Thank you in advance

Apr 13, 08 10:28 am
MacRoen

I am not familiar with the work of Atkins... I only know that they are super big. Salary rate for you should be between 25k and 30k Dirham. Housing costs / rent go through the roof although Abu Dhabi is slightly better than Dubai. Food can be as expensive as you make it and you need a car because of lack of public transport. Please make sure you get flights and insurances...

If you do not go alone, check your situation as it is illegal to live together without being married. And check what you "leave behind" regarding tax / pension etc.

Do you have experience abroad already? Good luck!

Apr 14, 08 6:13 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

25k - 30k Dirham? shurely shome mishtake? 7Dirham = £1

Apr 14, 08 7:52 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

maybe per month?

Apr 14, 08 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

Sorry, it would be 25k Dhs / month ( = 6.800$ / month).

<Mac>

Apr 14, 08 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

And for everybody that is getting excited right now: a large chunk of your salary will go to rent and utilities. After that you need a car and maybe some food and clothing would be convinient. If you live sensible you could save a nice amount of money but as always: the more you have the more you will spend....

<Mac>

Apr 14, 08 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

typo: that = who

Apr 14, 08 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

Hi macRoen,

Thank you so much for your input and comments. Are you based in Abu Dhabi as well?

re: the salary you mentioned, that is for westerners right? i reckon there is some sort of discrimination for those from asia? also, is that a typical for the experience i have, or is it already considered good enough? (the 25k-30k)

understand your concern for the rent.. i guess its skyrocketing even faster now. any idea whats a range of values, to start with?

and yeah, i had a few years experience abroad already, though not in the MENA (middle east north africa) region

also, do you have any idea how offices there go about their work? i mean, yeah its a boomtown of sorts for all kinds of design, but is the actual design / brainstorming / analysis being done in the middle east or are the local architecture offices just production facilities?

many thanks for reading and commenting! much appreciated! ;)

Apr 15, 08 11:25 am  · 
 · 
MacRoen

@CJ. that is for Westerners. You can have a look for housing costs on internet....

<Mac>

Apr 16, 08 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
tempo01

Hi MacRoen & CJ

just reading through your comments on AD...After coming back from Hong Kong i was looking for jobs in the UAE and after some hassle with recruiters i got a job offer (35 to 40k) with a large company under Aecom´s hood based in Abu Dhabi.

Reading through lots of expat sites the last days i´m not so sure anymore about AD, rent is skyrocketing and no fun anymore: paying 120.000 for 1bedroom apt in Khalifa outside the city is topping what i paid in HK for a studioapt. On top comes costs for car etc.

Is all this overweighed by a good experience with nice projects ? not sure yet if i take this offer and not better go back to China or SIngapore...

What are your experiences with housing in AD ?

@CJ: have fun with Atkins, i can tell you stories about them ;-)

Oct 30, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
yashkhatkar

Hi, everyone I know that I am not qualified to participate in the talk going on but I would like to ask A QUESTION, I am a student pursuing my b.arch degree from India, I will Complete my education in 3 years and I am looking forward to doing work in Dubai or Abu Dhabi , so can you guys can help me, like is their something like Indians get less salary and is it very difficult to get a job in Abu Dhabi for a fresh graduate from INDIA, like I am in a good and well known college but your comments will help , thank you

Mar 13, 17 5:25 am  · 
 · 
Aldea

I am a fellow Indian from a not so renowned university but I'm not sure how that affects this. In any case, yes. There's a fair bit of difference in salary if you're an Indian or from the Indian subcontinent. But perhaps that changes after a few years of experience. This is my second year here, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Mar 17, 18 1:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Do you enjoy slavery? If so, you'll love it there.
Mar 13, 17 6:13 am  · 
 · 
yashkhatkar

Sry, I am not able to understand. Is it bad out their

Mar 13, 17 6:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Nah, I kid. Everyone gets a new Ferrari when they step out ofh e airport.
Mar 13, 17 7:39 am  · 
 · 
amirkhan

what is fresher architect salary in atkins..

Mar 16, 18 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Mar 16, 18 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Aldea

@ NS. Hilarious, but I don't think many will get the reference.

Mar 17, 18 1:38 am  · 
 · 
amirkhan

what 42??

Mar 16, 18 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
amirkhan

plz tell me salary in Aed/month

Mar 16, 18 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

42. Are you really that obtuse?

Mar 16, 18 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: