Archinect
anchor

COLONIAL CLUBS

shaili

inputs invited...
i am an undergraduate student doing an architectural research thesis on COLONIAL CLUBS on india, and looking at the case of Kolkata. the selected british clubs on my list are calcutta club, saturday club, tollygunge club and royal calcutta golf club... but i am not being able to collect enough data, or any kind of architectural drawings/documentation on it.... it would great if anyone could suggest me how to go about it, whom to connect, and where could i find some material on the same...
thank you.. ur inputs on this are WELCOMED.....

Mar 29, 08 7:15 am
PsyArch

You might find that the East India Club in London can help.

Mar 30, 08 7:04 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

you could connect the Chicago Architectural Club, which as an institution was modeled on colonial clubs. Hasbrouck wrote a huge book on the subject.

Mar 30, 08 11:05 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

You might want to compare them to Studio 54 in New York City.....it was a raging Club during the Sex Revolution.

Mar 30, 08 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

Not drawings or data, but if you're looking for how these clubs functioned socially, who was excluded when and why, you might want to look at

"Britishness, Clubbability, and the Colonial Public Sphere: The Genealogy of an Imperial Institution in Colonial India." Mrinalini Sinha
The Journal of British Studies, Vol. 40, No. 4, At Home in the Empire (Oct., 2001), pp. 489-521

Mar 30, 08 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
farhansarfaraz

i am an undergraduate student doing an architectural research summer project on vernacular architecture in kolkata , and looking at the case of  tollygunge club  but i am not being able to collect enough data, or any kind of architectural drawings/documentation on it.... it would great if anyone could suggest me how to go about it, whom to connect, and where could i find some material on the same...
thank you.. 

Jul 19, 14 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: