Archinect
anchor

new york city local law 58 showers

superinteresting!

wondering if people have knowledge or thoughts on this - we are working on a series of bathroom renovations in a typical nyc multi-storey apartment building with elevators. instead of bathtubs we want large shower stalls. local law 58 in nyc specifically seems to require that larger shower stalls (30x60 in illustrations and text) in all new or substantially new bathrooms be adaptable, i.e. be roll-in and have no curb. however, none of the typical shower base manufacturers i've talked to seem to know the difference between this law and a fully-accessible ADA standard. i'm trying to find out the specifics of the LL58 requirements beyond the very sketchy and rudimentary specs on the LL58 code and associated reference standards.

my questions are:
- am i reading the codes accurately?
- does adaptability (per nyc code) allow for a larger transfer shower (not roll-in) for showers bigger than 36x36?
- anyone have experience with not-ugly adaptable shower bases with removable curbs?

thanks!

Mar 23, 08 11:53 am
brooklynboy

You can get away with a 30" x 60" shower with a 6" high curb. A tub would be less expensive though. As long as you're not self-certing, you can just submit what you want to do and if you get an objection, you change it...

Mar 23, 08 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: