Archinect
anchor

Integrating Architecture, Biology, Materials

May 7 '13 3 Last Comment
Brendan LeadbeaterBrendan Leadbeater
May 7, 13 3:41 pm

I find the integration between biology and architecture to be highly interesting and I was wondering if there are any PhD or Masters programs that heavily explore this integration.  I currently hold a 5 Year accredited B.Arch degree and I am studying for the BS section of the ARE's.  While the professional and licensing aspect of architecture is important, I am finding myself more interested in researching and integrating the latest scientific discoveries and breakthroughs into architecture, creating a more integrative relationship between building and nature (synthetic). 

What do you guys think?

Izsari
Aug 20, 13 12:34 pm

Brendan I'm with you. I too am having a hard time finding archi schools in the USA  that are considering biology or protocells. I do believe this is a result of a rigid NCARB and NAAB standards. In the states it seems we'll have to study biological systems as a complete different field.

I know that Rachel Armstrong is sort of the leader in  protocell architecture (http://www.ted.com/speakers/rachel_armstrong.html) and she does this all in England. As well it seems other countries like German are on board but...yeah nothing so far that I've found in the states. 

-Sarah

EKE
Aug 20, 13 8:50 pm

I recommend reading anything by Nikos Salingaros and Michael Mehaffey.  Here's a link to some of their essays at Metropolis:

http://www.metropolismag.com/Search/index.php?urlprefix=%2F&search=&mod=CoreSearch&query=Michael%2520Mehaffy%2520and%2520Nikos%2520Salingaros&Search=Search

empea
Aug 24, 13 2:19 pm

check out labstudio and the things they teach (jenny sabin and peter lloyd jones). i think they're at cornell now, used to be at penn.

also carnegie mellon has a program that integrates studies of biology and physiology with design and art; i'm unsure though how much of an architecture choice there is.

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading