Archinect
anchor

REMINDER: GSD Cost of Attendance is Approx. $200,000

Non Sequitur

^ why reopen this shit storm?

Mar 16, 15 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Alternative

Because a lot of prospective students are on the verge of making some very bad financial decisions.

Mar 16, 15 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ah...

but however bright the lighthouse, most will ignore the warning light and head straight for the cliffs.

Mar 16, 15 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

every time we say 'don't go into architecture,' the kids say, 'it will be different for me'

Mar 16, 15 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

I think most people attending GSD either get a heavy discount or don't care about the price tag. The ones who come from modest means and get admitted with a $0 scholarship: it's a soft rejection. Don't be swayed by the siren song of Harvard. They're really saying: "Yeah you're portfolio was good enough, but we don't want you here."

Mar 16, 15 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Alternative

flatroof - you're wrong, but nice attempt at rationalizing.

Mar 16, 15 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Non Sequitur and Curtkram are right, ignorance is bliss, reality is the floor they hit blindly once they get a few years on them outta school. Happens to most everyone that comes outta architecture.

I still can't think of anyone I graduated with (2006) that has designed a building that they were happy with. A couple(very few) individuals that I graduated with have stamped their own drawings but you wont find them boasting about the new Arby's they designed on facebook.

Life can be a bitch, stay high!

Mar 16, 15 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Because a lot of prospective students are on the verge of making some very bad financial decisions.

yep...

Mar 16, 15 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Alternative

Good morning! Just a reminder: six figures of debt for a master's at Columbia will not improve your life; it will likely destroy it. Have a blessed day!

Mar 17, 15 8:21 am  · 
 · 
Alternative

reminding students.

Mar 29, 15 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Alternative... you re-bumped this thread again.... oh boy.

Mar 29, 15 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

That's why I am probably not going to waste my time with architecture school or possibly licensure at that because some of you just seem to like living in debt and never ever be able to live long enough to pay off your loans.

Hell with the debt. It isn't worth it and no one ever gets paid well enough to pay it off in this profession. We be economically better off getting rid of the architectural licensing laws or institute reasonable experience based path to licensure recognizing education from community college.

Seriously, academic institutions are pricing themselves out of reach of 90% of Americans.

Students shouldn't have to be accumulating debts more than $50,000 if colleges are going to be realistic  about being affordable to students. 

Mar 29, 15 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Alternative

I am just bumping the thread because I keep seeing posts that say things like "where should I attend? I'm not considering cost."

Cost really should be your number one factor in the calculus of deciding where to attend. 

Mar 29, 15 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

You can't put a price on preſtige! (ſpelled with the "long s", becauſe it is the moſt preſtigous letter.)

Mar 29, 15 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

The pay often still suck... just that you have even less money to live on because more of it is sucked up by the loan payments.

Mar 29, 15 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Mr Almost Architect

If it makes you guys feel better, in tuition+materials my B.S in Arch rounds to $62,300.00 at UNLV....but no debt...or prestige lol

Mar 31, 15 4:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: