Archinect
anchor

Masters program at GSD - MARCH II or MDes?

mcho

Hello world!

I have a 5 year professional degree in Architecture and I am interested in applying for the masters program at the GSD.

I have worked for a year + and will be working for about 9 months after before pursuing the masters program. I have a special interestst in the Tchnology part of the Mdes or I could try to apply for the March II program at the GSD and focus on similar stuff.

I need advise on what I should do, which degree would be much easier to get in to,etc

Thanks guys!

Feb 27, 08 4:48 pm
walldrug

From what I understand the MDes is considerably easier to get in to. But the programs are quite different: MArch II is studio-based, MDes is not.

Feb 28, 08 4:16 am  · 
 · 
ha_no

mdes is not a design-oriented degree i believe

Feb 28, 08 7:48 am  · 
 · 
mcho

Hmm.. interesting.

There are things that I like about both programs. If I get into MDes I can focus on what I really like to explore while getting into March II will toughen up my skills all roundedly.

Ive read sth about the possibilities about applying for 2 degrees simultaneously, would the application appear weaker because it might seem like I dont know what I want?!

Feb 28, 08 8:32 am  · 
 · 
aml

mcho, can't tell you anything about the dual application part, but i am an m.des. alumni- although the program has changed since then, it used to be shorter. this is my impression of what the m.des. is- lots of time during arch school, people say [some people], "i wish i didn't have studio right now so i could focus on this class or on this particular research" - if you were one of those people, and would like to focus on a particular research area, it's a great program.

yes it is easier to get into, which is why it sometimes doesn't get much respect. you need a thick skin. if you're really into your own thing, you won't care, and will soon have professors interested in working with you. after a very succesful theory seminar with several m.des. involved, our teacher told us she had talked with rem koolhaas about the potential of m.des. students, and how they focused more than m.arch.s because they didn't have studio. non-studio professors [like koolhaas] are interested in m.des.'s because they can give them more time. this also includes technology profs.

but you'll miss studio- if that's going to be too strong, you can always do an m.arch. and take some electives in the area you're interested in. you can always try to get a studio that focuses on your area of interest also [if its available].

good luck!

Feb 28, 08 8:46 am  · 
 · 
aml

ps. i did my m.des. after an m.arch. somewhere else, because i wanted more focus on theory. so i guess i did get the graduate studio experience, which is an important thing to have. depends on your undergrad studio experience and how happy you are with it.

Feb 28, 08 8:49 am  · 
 · 
mcho

Well Thanks for your insightful advise aml ami.

I am currently finishind up my degree in Australia. it's definitely lacking something. I will be graduating with March I (i guess that would be the equavalent) and have 9 months before any programs in the states would start. I figured I would be able to gain some experience before getting into any prorgams.

Question is - did you do a March I or II before the MDes? I might either apply for both at the same time and see which one I get in (if that's allowed) or MDes first then MarchII later if Im soo keen on not making any money when I turn 30! haha

Feb 28, 08 8:57 am  · 
 · 
aml

i did an undergrad diploma in south america, then an m.arch.ii at georgia tech, and then the m.des.- i wanted to focus on history theory because i had fun with the theory seminars at tech.

it depends really on what you want to focus on next- this tech research by itself or involved in studio? because really the studio oportunities at the gsd are fantastic. also, you should really look at this problem from the point of view of the degree, not the school. meaning, instead of asking 'which degree at the gsd?' you should ask 'which school has the program i want?'- broaden your search. you also want to apply to several schools, in order to be able to pick.

Feb 28, 08 9:14 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

i don't know much about the m.des program, but i have a friend who applied to both m.arch and mla programs at gsd at the same time and got into mla, so you're definitely allowed to apply to more than one program.

that said, you might want to try and define more specifically what it is you want to get out of going back to school, and then see which program is a better fit. eventually you'll have to choose - either when deciding which to apply to or when deciding which to attend if you are accepted. there's also the possibility that you will be accepted to one and not the other, and then the choice will be whether to go or wait and reapply to your first choice next year.

as much as possible i'd try to avoid making any decisions based on which program is "easier" to get into - they're both incredibly demanding once you get there. they both require significant amounts of your time, energy, and money, so you want to make sure you'll really get what you're looking for out of the experience. if you don't get into the program you really want, you can always reevaluate your application and apply again the following year, and once more after that if necessary.

it also bears mentioning that as an m.arch II at the gsd, all of your studios will be option studios, so you can certainly tailor the m.arch program to your research interests - the real question is whether or not you want a design/studio-oriented experience.

Feb 28, 08 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Sean!

mcho.....im interested in studying at the GSD too. i've been talking to some co-workers in my office and im under the impression that the Master of Architecture in Urban Design (MAUD) is the easiest to get into? so, if you're really concerned about getting Harvard on you resume you might want to look into that. I don’t think Harvard publishes their acceptance rate anywhere so im sure it’s based on pure speculation.

Feb 28, 08 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

Fyi....im split between the MAUD and MarchII programs myself, so we're kinda in the same boat.

Feb 28, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
aml

sean, i recommend you read the advice above and instead of applying to the easiest program on the gsd to get the name on your resume [they can usually tell when you're doing that, it sort of shows] try finding out what type of program fits your interests and apply to that program in several institutions.

Feb 28, 08 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

Not less than above, don't forget about how much money it might cost you (unless you're bankrolled) because in all likelihood you won't be making much more after you graduate (truth be told) no matter what program you go into.

Feb 28, 08 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
sponge

I went to the MArch I program at the gsd. For the person deciding between the MAUD and the MArch II, l would ask the school whether MAUDs can take any option studio they want (including those offered in architecture) explaining that you have a degree in architecture already. Then look at the MAUDs required curriculum and how many electives you can take. It may be that you could take similar courses as an MAUD and an MArch II. What usually prevents people MAUDS etc from taking architecture option studios is lack of a background.

I agree though, don't choose the degree based on which is easiest to get into. COnsider other schools too. There isn't any financial aid for international students at the gsd so keep that in mind.

Feb 28, 08 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
mcho

I understand that and my interest for GSD from the start was the March II and the technology part of the MDeS. I am well aware of the strength of the school and my interests and skills that needs to be toughened up if I get in.

I have been looking at other schools at the same time but I think some other school focus too much on digitl technologies (GSAPP) and they're lacking a holistic approach in architectural design.

having said that I am definitely interested in the studio environment of the GSD or any other grad schools in general but I think 1.5 years at the GSD's not gonna be sufficient. So the plan is to try to apply for MDeS and MarchII at the same time and hopefully Ill at least get into MDeS and equip myself with some tools for further studies in the MarchII course (in order to explore the my area of interest and increase the likelihood of succeeding in it).

It would be a plus if I get into both programs and choose to choose more MDeS subjects during the first years but I could always try to apply for MArch II straight after MDeS(although it would be a waste of another year!). Does anyone knows how long it would be to complete these 2 courses in this aprticular combination?

Feb 28, 08 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
walldrug

mcho,

I'm pretty sure that GSD doesn't offer a concurrent program between MDeS and MArch II, so that means doing both will not save any time. MDeS was just a year long program, but there was a push to add an extra semester - so it could be up to 1.5 years now. If you really want to focus on a specific topic and are willing to spend extra time, I might recommend looking into the DDeS degree, though this is considerably tougher to get into than the MDeS.

As for MAUD vs. MArch II, both programs are typically comprised of crazy talented designers, who almost always already have a BArch degree (ie. lots of architecture experience). Not sure which is more difficult to get in, but for both the expectation is that those students have proved considerably talented in previous architecture/design studies. If I remember hearing correctly the most competitive programs (in terms of # of applicants to # accepted) at GSD are MArch II and MArch I AP.

Comparing MAUD to MArch II: MArch II has very little restriction on the schedule and all studios are options. The MAUD requires an intense introductory urban design studio followed by two option studios. In addition there are a few other requirements that ensure this degree gives one a sufficient background in larger urban issues.

Feb 29, 08 8:03 am  · 
 · 
estyle

mcho,

Echoing the advice above.

Figure out what you want before even picking the school. It sounds like you want Harvard on your resume more than anything else.

I have an MArch I from the GSD (within the last decade). When I was there the general perception was that the MDes degree existed to make money for the school. That may have changed but from what I see above I wouldn't bet on it. But remember the GSD is a very large school and you will have to squeek a lot to get attention. There are plenty of great schools that offer post professional technology oriented degrees worth looking at. Columbia and MIT come to mind right off.

Personally, I would say work for a few years and then decide if you want to get a post-professional degree. The work world is very different and you may find out that you don't want more school or want a degree in Landscape or something totally new. And work experience is just going to help you get more out of school.

GSD on the resume helps sure (if you aren't in Boston) but why spend the money when you could get a great education _and_ a good name.

Feb 29, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
chaps

Haha, I've been to Wall Drug

Apr 8, 08 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

It seems the MDes students are somewhat 'outside' of the GSD culture, since they don't take studios. I've been here for a year and I'm not sure what they do.

Apr 8, 08 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
mcho

on the other hand, I have been offered a place with Mark Burry as a phD student in digital design research. Do you think it's worth committing myself to a 4 years program or is it a better idea to pursue with an MarchII degree?

Kakacabeza, you're in MArchI or II?

Apr 8, 08 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
sandhilldesign

Any updates on the MDes program?

Sep 21, 12 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Narcus

Im trying to apply to Mdes Technology and Smarch Computation any updates?

Nov 8, 14 5:24 am  · 
 · 
smg25

what kind of jobs Mdes graduates land up with ?

Nov 9, 14 10:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: