Archinect
anchor

feeling impulsive

Spackle

I haven't applied to any programs to date, but I have spoken with Woodbury in SD and I could begin attending the MArch 1 + MSRED this fall. 

I know I could go to a more prestigious school if I applied. MIT, Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Michigan are my top choices. No order.

I've also been wrestling with MArch vs MBA vs Entrepreneurship for so long I can't remember. 

• If I did a MArch I, I would do it with a Real Estate focus. I really enjoy building good communities (i'm an urban planner / decent human being). I also love developing retail and commercial areas. (I do urban design for mixed use developments now.)                                                                                                          The outcome of this degree would lead me to start a design, build, development business. I know it will take a while to achieve the desired effect but the possibility brings me piece of mind.                                                                                                                             
  • If I did an MBA, I would go to Spain and do a 12-16 month program. Business schools state side are weird to me.

Anyway, I really enjoy the business development / marketing and branding side of business. Also advertising. In my 5 years out of school I have had the fortune in dabbling in this quite a bit. Everything from web design, copy writing, marketing materials, managing and developing office cultures, to renaming businesses and more...

I have even started a small part time business working with foreign aid agencies and small businesses in developing countries doing this. missionsupportsolutions.com. Yes we do DOD work as well. The site content is currently being revised and edited so if somethings are weird, that's why :) 

I work for a small architectural and real estate office now and it's okay. We have a couple huge projects that are truly exciting but with a small office like this, there are massive lulls with little to do. Sitting and staring with nothing to do makes me suicidal. And often when there is something to do, I completely disagree with our course of action and our general strategy. 

Anyway, I have no idea which direction to go. Should I just pull the trigger on Woodbury this fall, wait it out and apply to the big schools next year, go do an MBA in Spain or just move into my moms basement, eat ice cream and watch GoT. 

Apr 23, 13 12:47 pm
curtkram

you might have a future with an MBA, so that's something.

mom's basement sounds appealing if you like game of thronse (i assume that's GoT) but long-term financial aspect isn't much better than pursing architecture.  unless mom is rich and you stand to inherit enough to retire on.  if that's the case, follow your heart because dreams do come true.

Apr 23, 13 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Spackle

haha.

Thanks Curtkram. I didn't expect to get a response from that tangent.

Yes, Game of Thrones is what I was going after.

As for mom, unfortunately water aerobics doesn't pay as much as it used to, so to answer you que there is NO inheritance what so ever.  

Apr 23, 13 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
VB21

Hi Spackle,

What did you  land up doing finally? I am facing a very similar dilemma!

Jul 14, 14 3:09 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Spackle, I would suggest a MArch with speculation in real estate development, and get licensed! With a shingle you’ll always have an employment ticket. There are posts on this site discussing these things.

I had a 40 year career as an architect/contractor/developer/realtor and I found it rewarding and profitable. I have written on this subject elsewhere on Archinect. If you are defiantly yearning to go on your own which schools do not matter but if you are considering a conjoined career names matter. Hired a local guy years ago who had graduated in this line from Harvard. Could not keep him. Some recruiter swept him up and he’s now a millionaire somewhere. Architects remain very snobbish on this. It does not need to be Harvard but Woodbury? Going off shore is always jaundice to employers.

Good luck on your journey.

Jul 17, 14 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: