Archinect
anchor

Which way do you roll?

... or unroll your trace (canary, bumwad, onion skin, etc.)?

Left, right, up, tear it off first?

Apr 18, 13 8:07 pm
citizen

<< to the left, of course!

Apr 18, 13 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

that's a great question! i do two things, when sketching ideas, roll out left, which in and of itself is interesting, because that's sooooo not western. when i am working on multiple layers, i tear, and create registration marks.

Apr 18, 13 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
observant

The roll is moved to the left, leaving more paper on the right.  I move the roll with the left hand, and tear off the desired quantity with the right hand.

Apr 18, 13 9:46 pm  · 
 · 

Almost always tear off first.  And for the last seven years I've been using my former-partner-still-BFF's method of getting if loose enough form the roll to grab" blowing into the space between the end of the sheet and the roll.

Apr 18, 13 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Hold the end on the right. Roll to the left. Place metal meter stick at desired length, tear.

Apr 19, 13 8:22 am  · 
 · 

Roll to the left (I'm right handed). Sometimes I stack rolls to explore options and work out details.

Apr 19, 13 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Jadzia

Do you share your rolls?  ^^

My roll keeps disappearing. Someone borrows it ("Just for a minute"), and then I never see it again...

Apr 19, 13 11:30 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

"Sometimes I stack rolls to explore options and work out details."  i discovered this trick second year arch. school, genius!

Apr 19, 13 11:54 am  · 
 · 
observant

A lot of lefties in architecture, at least more than I was accustomed to seeing.  I'm not that good with my left hand.  Well, let me think about that ...

Apr 19, 13 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Unroll with left hand, right to left, tear it off with a quick flick of the left hand, and turn the piece over so it won't roll up on itself.

Repeat five hundred thousand times.

Apr 19, 13 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Really sorry about that last post, you guys.  I was on my phone.

Point is: I tear it haphazardly.  And if the roll is tight, I blow into the very small gap where the loose paper starts and that magically opens it up enough to grab.

Apr 19, 13 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Alas, I was trying to visualize your prior post.

Apr 19, 13 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

that photo puts the Jack in Jack Kerouac.

ahemmm.

pardon me.

i roll right and im a righty. ambidextrous? go figure. rip n flip y'all.

Apr 20, 13 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Keep my roll in a tin foil box so I can tear it easily. 

Apr 20, 13 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

^ Nice. I have a Mayline 36" tear-off dispenser for vellum.

Apr 20, 13 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: