Archinect
anchor

M.Arch Transfer to another M.Arch Program

Bwatson

Just out of curiosity , is there anyone out there that has transfered from one M.arch program to another March program either because they didnt like it or any other reason maybe costs, or upgrade to another school or more urban area, etc.

Apr 18, 13 5:43 pm
observant

Two words:  good luck.

If you're thinking of going from a low-demand to a high-demand program, it's unlikely to happen. 

What I was planning on doing was an outright drop/add, leaving my M.Arch. after the first term and knocking on the door of a M.Arch. I had been accepted to see if I could defer that admission and then enroll the next fall, but that would have pushed back my graduation by an entire year, so I stayed put.

Apr 18, 13 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Bwatson

@ observant 

As you once considered transferring, Im sure there plenty of students out there who have done it. 

If graduate schools have dedicated space in their admissions section to mention March transfer students(e.g. Yale, Sci arc), then I would assume that there is some acceptance to the idea.

And no not coming from a low demand program by the way

Apr 19, 13 11:43 am  · 
 · 
observant

^

The curricula are so different that I don't know how the transfer credits would align.  At most, I could see them asking you to start over, in a sense.  I think some have done it, but not many.  The one person I know who did it, because of family relocation issues, essentially had to start over in our program. Keep in mind that these programs are extremely small and this would be uncommon.  Still, I could see how if a person does not mesh with a program in one way or another, it would NOT make for a fun experience.  I actually visited all 8 of the schools to which I applied, but I didn't get into all 8.   

Apr 19, 13 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
thinkgreen

what about doing one year and then beginning fresh in a new program with advanced standing? Is that more realistic?

May 6, 13 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

I'll be more honest.  I tried to do this with 2 fairly high demand schools and, essentially, you are applying right after the holiday break, with one term under your belt.  A high(er) demand school wants to deal with the new crop of applicants, not transfer in applicants they've dealt with before.  I'm sure it has happened, under exceptional circumstances and for exceptional students.  For them, they might knock off a history or introductory construction course, but not much.

For the one school that did allow me to come over (which I didn't pursue), I merely said nothing else except "Can I come next fall?"  They said yes.  I had planned to start over but, again, I didn't do it.

If you just reapply without mention of what you had already started, it might work.  To be stuck in the wrong M.Arch. 3+ could be a real drag.  They definitely have different personalities.  I think the ideal one is one that is full of smart diverse people, had competitive enough admissions, yet where people are competing against themselves.

May 6, 13 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
my.boo

Hey, I did just that this year. I will be transferring from UBC to the GSD as of this coming fall. If you'd like to speak to me you can shoot me an email: [email protected]

May 15, 13 9:11 am  · 
 · 
FYC87

@my.boo

I kno this post is 2 years old by now, but I am actually considering a possibility in transfering as well. I didnt get into the schools I wanted to for the upcoming year, but did manage to get into UBC and still waiting on SCI-Arc actually. I saw Yale has a section to briefly explain transfers, not sure how it all really works out. my.boo, care to share your experiences?

Mar 13, 15 2:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: