Archinect
anchor

Archinect's The Plagiarius Awards Gallery

Call for Entries

Plagirazing the plagiarism busters, I would like to kick off Archinect's first 'The Plagiarius Awards'. I'll start with an all time classic to illustrate the mind set. It is limited to examples of plagiaristic architecture.
Better than the original plagiaristic examples are welcome and encouraged.
In chess, they say, "every move you make has been done before." Chicken or the egg?
Award; TBA

Feb 9, 08 4:57 pm
liberty bell

Is hat car really big, is that Villa really small?

Feb 9, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

They missed a great opportunity when designing their museum. Should have been a mini Bilbao or Louvre.

Now someone needs to copy their design.

Feb 9, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

Ronchamp in China

Feb 9, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I think this was missed back when I was a full-time school blogger.

Feb 9, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Anyone know what ever happened in this case?

Feb 9, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

o'neill house, beverly hills.
gaudi love.

Feb 9, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
AP

in the shine vs. som case judge Michael Mukhasey (now the US Atty General) ruled that there were enough similiarities in the 2 designs for the case to proceed, but i haven't seen anything further on it.

Siza, Souto de Moura and Balmond/Arup

Per Corell

Feb 9, 08 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

for a whole item on plagiarism and copycats, check MARK Magazine
, one of the back issues #5, dec/jan 2007.
on-line only in flash, but anywho, it's mostly about established architects that are being copied in China, almost litterally, it's shocking but also fascinating at he same time, enjoy if you can...

MARK

Feb 9, 08 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

AP, I posted a picture of that from our Arup lecture on TC! How funny.

There's a Ronchamp in China?!?!

Feb 9, 08 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
ChiTownCritic

Burj Dubai:

One Museum Park:

Feb 9, 08 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
Le Corbusier v. Antonin Raymond
Feb 9, 08 10:28 pm  · 
 · 

city hall of boston, mass.

city hall of izmir, turkey

Feb 10, 08 12:07 am  · 
 · 

The reenactment Villa Savoye pictured at the top of this thread is not necessarily the product of plagiarism, for, if the architect of this new house acknowledged Le Corbusier and his Villa Savoye design, then no plagiarism is involved. The architect of the Villa Savoye reenactment may be guilty of copyright infringement, however. (Plagiarism and copyright infringement are not same exact thing.)

Likewise, the reenactionary City Hall of Izmir is not necessarily the product of plagiarism if the architect acknowledged the City Hall of Boston. Moreover, the powers-that-be of Izmir may have even requested that their new City Hall be like the City Hall of Boston. Here, copyright infringement is not an issue because the City Hall of Izmir is not a close-to-exact reenactment of the City Hall of Boston.

Architectural design inspiration often manifests a form of reenactment.

Orhan, You acknowledge Le Corbusier now, but did you acknowledge Le Corbusier and his Olivetti Center design back in 1980?

Q: What comes after Infringement Complex?
A: Architecture of the Loop-Hole Universe.

Feb 10, 08 10:35 am  · 
 · 
nb072

what about studio projects from school that look suspiciously like something famous?

Feb 10, 08 11:09 am  · 
 · 

Again, architectural design inspiration often manifests a form of reenactment.

If a student acknowledges their inspirational source, then there is no plagiarism involved.

Reenactment is a(n often utilized yet unacknowledged) powerful learning tool.

Feb 10, 08 11:24 am  · 
 · 
AP
Should we be too afraid of precedent or influence we could do nothing at all. It does not matter from where we take anything but what we do with it.

-Antonin Raymond

taken from Smokety's link, posted above

Feb 10, 08 11:26 am  · 
 · 

^^yes, i acknowledged.
the studio project had to be mimicked and inspired by corbu. each student had a different architect to work with. some did mies, flw, aalto, sterling, there were even meier, bofill and graves projects, who were huge names back then. somebody wanted to do a gaudi project but teacher said it would be too specific!
i could change the name of the thread but i like the sound and impact of the plagiarism better. and remember, we are awarding not punishing.
thanks for republishing my school project.

Feb 10, 08 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Raymond is wrong in stating "It does not matter from where we take anything" because the first thing that should be done with what is "taken" is to acknowledge the source.

Raymond's not acknowledging Le Corbusier's design is exactly what got him in trouble.

Feb 10, 08 11:34 am  · 
 · 

Orhan, it's funny, I never imagined the clarifying of a situation as a form of punishment. Then again, it has often been said that "the [impact of] truth hurts."

Feb 10, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Hi, Gorgeous. Haven't I Seen You Somewhere?

i need pictures...

Feb 10, 08 11:42 am  · 
 · 
O, the reenactment of it all.
Feb 10, 08 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
aml

well, this is one i've been wondering about lately...

posted at bldgblog on feb 2007

and

developed during fall 2007 at columbia

Feb 10, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

George Washington Slept Here:

Feb 10, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

My memory about these things is not good ,and I know I tend to over expose --- but do anyone remenber some towers simular to these ;

The funny thing about it is, that something very simular was in play, I was surprised about that, as years before I published this at another Yahoo group --- and very soon after I here, in this fora , placed this image documenting that, --- these towers was forgot about.
I don't know it that had anything to do with that. --- But they was quite simular.

Feb 10, 08 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

See, I told you Architecture of the Loop-Hole Universe comes after infringement complex (with acknowledgement, of course).

when two isn't enough

Feb 10, 08 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

Hey twist 1 and twist 2, welcome to the neighborhood!

Feb 10, 08 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Agrea ,there are some thing smooth about them .... now that leave for me, one important question though, -- how to make the foundations the structure , as smooth. See I wonder if today's structural aproach is enough.

Feb 10, 08 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
waterhouse

and now you have an eighties era Hadid

Feb 10, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

metamechanic, once you're in the Loop-Hole Universe you find there's room for just about anything, so infringement doesn't even exist.

Feb 10, 08 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

"Ha, ha, did your sister."

Feb 10, 08 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

the trouble is context...strictly speaking, no two projects have the same context and conseuently no two projects could really be the same unless they were in the same spot...the only differene would be (possibly) a temporal one...which reminds me...isn't there a japanese temple that has been built, demolished and rebuilt for something like the past 1500 years?...i'm streching my memory here (and i'm re-enacting my forth drink this evening now) but i think it was called something like the shinjin temple

no...that's not right...maybe it is right...i don't know...somebody please confirm or deny this for me

Feb 10, 08 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
aml

puddles, i think you're thinking of shinto temples, which are rebuilt after a set number of years.

Feb 10, 08 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

Holy helix, Batman, we have a winner!

Feb 10, 08 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

puddles, you might be thinking of the Ise Shrine, which is rebuilt every 20 years on an exact copy of the site right next to it. So one site lays fallow, with the shrine built on its copy.

Feb 14, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

via
Mar 5, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

here a quack, there a quack

everywhere a reenactionary quack quack

Will the metaphor ever be shed?

Mar 5, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

plagiarism lineage of the death star:

Heerim Architects - Hotel Full Moon in Baku:

OMA - Waterfront City, Dubai:

OMA - Ras al Khaimah Convention and Exhibition Centre (self referential plagiarism?):

Panasonic - R-70 transistor radio:

various galactic empire contractors - Death Star 1:

various galactic empire contractors - Death Star II (on hold):

God(s?) - saturn moon Mimas:

Mar 5, 08 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I was at the firm that did 1 museum park when it was being concieved and Burj Dubai was well past designed by then, and starting foundations.

Mar 5, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

either way theyre both horrendous buildings

Mar 5, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Mar 11, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
waterhouse

CHRIST

Mar 11, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

i thought the monorail ran right next to the EMP

Mar 11, 08 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Remove the cello and that project could actually be completely serious ^^

Mar 19, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Orhan, I bet its got a great piano nobile.

Mar 19, 08 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
@ £1650

, screw you. screw you anyway.

Mar 19, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LOL, Liebchen!

Mar 19, 08 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
DeAtHsTaR

inspiration. open 24 hours....

Mar 19, 08 11:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: