Archinect
anchor

Final Decision Wash U v.s. Columbia M.Arch I

WUSTL : M.Arch 1 with half tuition deduction scholarship Columbia: M.Arch1 no scholarship/FA I like both programs. I can absolutely save lots of money by choosing WUSTL, however, Columbia has more vigorous studio atmosphere and higher prestige. Should I put myself in debts to go to Columbia? Will WUSTL limits a student's potential growth compared to Columbia?? How should I make a decision between these two schools?

Apr 10, 13 11:32 pm
mdler

Seattle > NYC

Apr 11, 13 12:30 am  · 
 · 
deals on wheels

^ WUSTL = Washington University in Saint Louis.

FWIW, They are both good programs. The one thing WUSTL has going for it are the dedicated travel studios. You could concievably spend only 4 semesters in St. L.

Columbia has a lot of things going for it. If you think you might want to teach afterward, it's probably a better bet. But It all depends on what you think of the studio and studio environment. Go with your gut.

Apr 11, 13 12:50 am  · 
 · 
yi_0418

@deals on wheels

I agree! The reason I lean more towards WUSTL is its study abroad opportunities in Finland, Seoul, Barcelona, and South America. 

I don't think I will have the money to travel if I go to GSAPP. Also the studio space in GSAPP is quite limited. However, how do you think WUSTL's faculty/visiting professors? I do not know much about that compared to Columbia.

Apr 11, 13 9:04 am  · 
 · 
gg_r

I would go to Columbia. Hands down.

I am going to Wash U and hate myself for not applying to Columbia this past year.

Apr 11, 13 11:57 am  · 
 · 
observant

I had visited Columbia back in the day and NYC seemed too much for me, community from a NJ suburb.  It was impressive.  All things being equal, Columbia is probably better and more reputed.  On the other hand, WU-StL has coughed up some money.  They are respected, but not as much as Columbia.  I think people gladly drop 4 years of medical school tuition there, but watch it for a-school.  I think you could do well there.  St. Louis is ok, I guess.  Cheaper to live in. It's really the only high-priced private in the Midwest.  I never looked into it.  If you come from money, Columbia.  If you don't, WU-StL.

Apr 11, 13 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
anamikagoyal
@gg_r what were some of your choices and what made you decide on WUSTL?
Apr 12, 13 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r
IIT, Syracuse, Vtech, Pratt, and Wash U.

I was between Pratt and Wash U.
Apr 15, 13 10:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: