Archinect
anchor

GSAPP Accepted Students-Open House 4/3/13

sensation

How was the open house? Please share your experience..... :)

Apr 3, 13 5:46 pm
bdc145
Overall I was impressed. The studio spaces seem pretty tightly packed, everyone for the most part had a desktop that was university provided. Wood shop w/ CNC wasn't as large as I was expecting for the size of the school but it was adequate. Avery library was pretty great. The incoming class seemed very diverse in interests, backgrounds, and nationalities.

My favorite idea behind the program was how the students have the ability to choose the type of studios, electives, & visual studies that suit ones interests. Both of the students describing the AAD program were pretty different in their interests (one was all digital fab & the other was history & theory) this gave me the impression that there is a broad range of ideas that everyone could pick their course of study...

Still unsure if I will end up here but it seems like a place where I would learn quite a lot.
Apr 3, 13 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

Thank you so much! I'm actually going to be in the AAD program. I'm so glad that the students are able to choose what they would like to study because I was afraid that everything would be about parametrics. 

Are the desktop computers iMacs or PCs? Are these computers equipped with necessary architectural programs? 

Did they talk to you about on-campus housing? My biggest dilemma right now is figuring out where to live. I already applied for housing, but I haven't heard back. I think they will start reviewing housing applications in late April or early May.

Thanks again for responding to this thread.... I wanted to attend the open house, but I was in NY in mid March for spring break.

Apr 3, 13 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
bdc145
No worries... The desktops were PCs (dell)... I believe all the necessary software is included... They said that graduate housing is usually pretty available. Also if you don't get it for summer, most people get it the next semester, I don't know how this works. I have also applied for housing and am still waiting to find out as well... Fingers crossed...

At the end of the open house Mark Wigley spoke in a round table discussion with the leaders of every program & he seemed like an awesome leader for the school. Much of the talk was about the globalization of design & the speed of the 1 year program. It sounds intense & like a great experience.

Hope this helps!
Apr 3, 13 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

Thank you so much! You just made my day! I'm even more excited to attend the school. I hope you get housing as well :)

Apr 3, 13 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
watts

I think it is a great school.. Every year consistently 2nd in urban design amongst ranking. Very dissapointed not much faculty were there, only directors of the programs. In our case, he seemed very deflated. But hey, it is Columbia, gramshane and kenneth frampton. You know, people don't get as lucky. We have it good.

Apr 5, 13 9:54 am  · 
 · 
sensation

Thanks watts!! Did they mention how many applicants applied this year or how many they accepted? I can't wait to meet the directors. I'm really impressed with their bio. Which program will you be in? I'm in the MS.AAD program..

Apr 5, 13 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Tabata

I accepted my offer for MAUD! Unfortunately I couldn't attend the open house as I live on the other side of the world but I'm now more excited after reading the comments.

Thanks for sharing!!

Apr 8, 17 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: