Archinect
anchor

Taubman vs UIUC vs SCAD vs GIT

vinee

I recently got admitted into a few schools in the US, and i need help to come to the best decision. 

Firstly i have gotten admission at Taubman UIUC and SCAD(Savannah College of Art and Design) as well as at Georgia Tech. 

According to everyone here, which do you think would be the best choice? As i hear from some people in Michigan, the courses are extremely strenuous and draining.

UIUC has great faculty and a lovely history and campus, with interesting courses.

SCAD is a design school, has that pinned again all mixed disciplned universities!

Georgia tech is awesome as well.

Here lies my confusion! 

A little about my academic background. Ive finished a Bachelors Of Architecture(5 year program) from India, and i will have one year of work experience before i start this Fall.

I hope you someone can point me in the right direction!

Apr 1, 13 11:55 am
observant

You didn't tell us what program you are heading into.  Is it a M.Arch. 2?  Or the non-accredited M.Arch. or MS that last one year?

For me, it would be a tie between U of M and Georgia Tech.  GT sits in the middle of Atlanta, and that's a good thing.  After that, UIUC.  An finally, Savannah College of Art.

If Georgia Tech were in some college town, I'd say Michigan without hesitation.  However, Georgia Tech enjoys a great location and is also a well-respected American university.  Between those 2, it's a tough one, at least for me.

Apr 1, 13 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
vinee

Hey ive gotten March the 2 year track all accredited in the three universities except for GIT where theyve given me a three year program but ive asked for advanced standing.

Yes im leaning towards U of M, but trying to find out more information from students who study there. 

What are your schools? or rather where do you study?

Apr 1, 13 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Hey ive gotten March the 2 year track all accredited in the three universities except for GIT where theyve given me a three year program but ive asked for advanced standing.

If you have 2 year at Michigan and you have to "fight for it" to get 2 at GT, then go to Michigan.  That's easy.  School for me ... well, that's been a while.  Would have loved to have gone to GT, got in, but they were 2+2 M.Arch. 1, and on quarters.  When I was going to school, I was NOT going to go for 4 years for a masters.  Not happening.  Sounds like you've got good schools to pick from.

Apr 1, 13 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
vinee

Yes ive literally had to "fight for it " !! but lets see ive got time to decide. 

Costs are also of concern, big loans! I am trying to get in touch with someone at Taubman to find out details about the course. Anyone here who can help with that? 

@observant 4 years for a masters is crazy! i think 3 is crazy on its own! after doing a 5 year bachelors! You don't have any information about SCAD? if you do pleease pass on!

Apr 1, 13 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
dijomathews

Hey finally which university did you choose?

I am confused between UIUC and UMich

Mar 21, 17 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
harshikaseth

I got into GIT as well as Uni of Michigan - both are two year m.arch courses. Michigan has better ranking on some websites but some rank GIT as a better college for M.arch. What should I pick? any advice on what the criteria should be? Keep in mind that Uni of michigan costs twice what Gtech costs.

Mar 10, 20 2:59 am  · 
 · 
Laurila

I'm from Atlanta and I went to Taubman for M.Arch. I would say, if you want to make Atlanta your home base after graduation, then do GA Tech. It's a great campus with a strong Bauhaus presence and it's in one of the most vibrant districts in a very sprawled out city. 

But I've really enjoyed the reach from Michigan's alumni network, as well as the network of professors. It stretches across the entire country. With Michigan, you won't have a problem finding a job anywhere in the States, west coast to east coast. That also means the professors come from a diverse set of backgrounds with a diverse set of disciplinary interests. 

Mar 11, 20 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
soham86

Guys, please advise me best graduate schools from these, for Master of Architecture program. I am looking for curriculum which has the strongest program of specialization in sustainability.

M.ARCH (Master of Architecture)

1. University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign - (Has specialization of Building performance in it)

2. University at Buffalo (Has specialization of Ecological practices in it)

3. Arizona State university (Has electives in sustainability subject)

4. University of Arizona (Has electives in sustainability subject)

Considering all aspects.. like excellent job opportunities, landing up in good jobs early,  top notch payscale , how good is the university overall, course, curriculum, location and overall ranking?

Which one is first class in all aspects? All in all, which one should I prefer?

Thank you.

Apr 8, 20 12:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: