Archinect
anchor

Internship & Resume Etiquette

yellowgradient

Hi all! I am among one of the many students that will be entering their first year of graduate school in the fall (Congratulations to everyone who got into their school of choice!).

Since I'll be moving to a different city, I'm preparing myself with looking at the firms in the area and reaching out and trying to network to get an internship for the fall too.

I'm currently updating my resume and was just wondering, when I send my resume out should I add the school I will be attending onto it or will it be proper only to put it on after I have started attending classes?

Or for those who have gone through a process of getting an internship, do you have any tips? Or stories of what made you stand out?

Thank you much!

Mar 23, 13 6:51 pm

If you are in and will be attending, it is acceptable to put the school on in my opinion. Just make sure it is clear that you will be attending soon (example if you put dates say beginning August 2013 or something similar).

As far as my internship experience went, my interview was landed from a job fair visit where the representative of the firm and I talked more about baseball, Chicago, and Wrigley Field. I  failed to mention that as a Reds fan, I hate the Cubs. Then once they found out I had been using CAD for 10 years (I was an older student and had drafting classes and an internship in high school), my ability to jump right in and get going probably made me stand out. Talking baseball definitely got me the interview though, just like being from Columbus, IN most likely got me the first interview where I now work.

Mar 23, 13 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Josh!

Yeah I find with my other jobs that I have a better chance when you are able to make conversation and finding common interests, it becomes important for the employer to know that you are open, friendly and you get along with them right away.

Also, another yay because I'll be moving to Chicago in the Summer!

Mar 24, 13 2:23 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"explore yourself"

In the words of the wise Quagmire: Gigiti gigiti goo

Aug 1, 14 8:04 am  · 
 · 
9093bsbk
Hi!

Congratulations on your upcoming endeavours as a graduate student. That is so exciting.

I am currently doing an internship at a landscape architecture firm in Toronto and the market here for interns can be tough at times. I applied to approximately 25 firms and received 5 offers. Instead of doing the standard emailing a long portfolio and wordy resume, I took a different approach to try to stand out. I did my homework on which firms I was most interested in, regardless of whether or not I knew they had any openings and I sent an email to the principal(s) of those firms explaining who I was, what I'm studying, and that I am simply just interested in and inspired by the work they do. I asked if they would have the time for me to come and visit the firm, meet the team and ask questions.

I made sure that I didn't email the general office email but specific people, and clarified that I would be following up with a phone call. People and firms are usually really busy, so I got a lot of 'no' or simply no reply at all/getting their voicemail. But you'd be surprised by the feedback you do receive. A few practitioners I spoke to I did an interview with over the phone, and others I were able to meet face to face. This technique worked with the firm I am with now. I got to come into their studio, meet the two principals and we simply clicked. I brought a professionally printed and signed portfolio and told them at the end of our chat that I am so excited by their work that I would love to be a part of their team. We looked at my work together- they weren't looking to hire anyone at the time, but they still offered me a placement.

I recently spoke with them and they both said they wished more job seekers did it this way. It is so easy for them to overlook resumes and portfolios, and they are interested in people who will go above and beyond to be noticed.

Give it a try! If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message. Good luck.

Katie
Aug 1, 14 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: