Archinect
anchor

How on earth do you organize trace paper

Mar 22 '13 7 Last Comment
backbay
Mar 22, 13 6:21 pm

How the hell do you organize trace paper!?  Its just everywhere in the office because we have half a dozen projects in schematic design, and it drives me nuts!  Has anyone figured out a way to store/organize this stuff?  Its all different sizes and blows away when you walk by, and I'm going crazy.  I need everything in labeled binders and folders nicely organized on a shelf, and I can't for the life of me figured out how to stop suffocating in a pit of trace paper, and put some order to the chaos.  Somebody help.

citizen
Mar 22, 13 7:18 pm

Trim to a standard size or two... which means keeping your sketching within those general size boundaries (8.5x11, 11x17, etc).  Or don't trim, but fold to those standard sizes.

bowling_ball
Mar 22, 13 8:22 pm

Use a binder. Three hole punch the trace, then fold to fit the binder. Citizen's advice helps. Right now I'm working on a 24"x36" piece of trace... Having a huge scanner really helps with the archiving.

accesskb
Mar 22, 13 11:08 pm

use an artists portfolio/binder

wurdan freo
Mar 22, 13 11:27 pm

Use the round file!

Through that shit in the trash.

Welcome to 1999. 

saimgee123
Mar 23, 13 4:49 am

I think artists portfolio/binder is best way to organize these trace papers perfectly.

asocialcelebrity
Mar 28, 13 4:38 pm

Where I work, they're a bit anal.
We code the drawing, take a photo of it, print it as an 11"x17" to place in a binder (though now we're going paperless finally!),  and then roll the original trace up in a cardboard tube with the same code number. We can usually fit quite a few in each tube, so it's pretty easy to organize. Extremely tedious, but they're pretty easy to find should we need them and if the binders are organized by project half the time we don't even have to pull the drawing if the clarity of the print was good enough. It's been a lifesaver, because clutter drives me insane.

gwharton
Mar 28, 13 5:33 pm

Get a bunch of 11x17 manila folders. Use them to hold trace for a particular project or phase together. Stack on desk or in flat file as necessary.

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading