Archinect
anchor

Publications in CV / resume ?

George85

I would be very grateful if somebody could explain me a bit more about the "Publications" category from architectural CV. What exactly is it?
If by "publications", they mean publications in some scientific journal, or magazine, or any journal, then I do not have any of my work published in those.

Can a website be a "publication"?
Is for example: Archdaily.com a source for a publication? Or any other architectural website? If your project has been published in it, can it be called a publication?

If yes, could you please post some sample preview. I tried googling but with no success.

The only part useful thing I went to is this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4558748_list-publications-resume.html

But there are not samples and examples.

Thank you for your time and reply.

Mar 16, 13 5:10 pm
citizen

I use two different headings: first is "Publications," under which I list book chapters, articles, and reviews I've authored and which have been published in traditional outlets.  The other is "Media," where I list op-eds and a couple of interviews I've done.  (This is where I'd be tempted to include websites and the like.)  This two-fold categorization lets you list all kinds of work that should be included, but still keep it clearly organized.  You could also use the heading "Web Publications" to keep it clear.  Good luck!

Mar 16, 13 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
George85

Thank you Citizen.

Mar 19, 13 1:44 am  · 
 · 
bindunarayan

If your work has been published in any of the well-known publication journals like IEEE, you can go ahead to add a separate section titled "publications" in your CV. You can make use of any of the best practiced citation methods, for instance APA, to include the separate publications section in your CV. 

Mar 19, 13 8:37 am  · 
 · 
George85

Hi bindunarayan,

Thank you for the reply.
My question was not directed towards journals, but online publications of projects in any well-known architectural website.

For example if your project was published in ArcDaily, then to what category(section) do you need to put it, in your CV?

Mar 20, 13 5:27 am  · 
 · 

Depending on how you organize your resume, you might try a subcategory to where the work was done, such as:

2001 - current,     Architecture Firm

Key Projects:

- House, 2003, featured on ArcDaily (publication date and/or link)

There isn't necessarily a right or wrong way to go about it, it's easy to make the argument that a website can be a "publication" (electronic publishing, websites have a "publication date," etc.) but I agree with your instinct to make the distinction.  

Architecture resumes are often less conventional (more designed) than any stock samples online, so you might want to look at some architect resumes for ideas on how best to incorporate these publications in your own layout (or even revise yours).  I frequented the AIA SF resume board to get ideas when I was reformatting mine.  They can be hit or miss, but I've found a few gems on there in the past.  I know I've seen a few other local aia chapters host resume banks, but don't remember off hand which others they were.

Mar 20, 13 9:02 am  · 
 · 
George85

Thank you Joseph.

Mar 20, 13 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

I do the same thing as citizen: publications vs. media.

Publications includes anything you authored or co-authored in some way. Media includes interviews, opinion pieces, and stuff other people have written about you or your work.

Generally, I only include the publications and media references for academic or pure PR purposes. I omit it for regular professional purposes.

Mar 20, 13 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
George85

Understood.
Thank you.

Mar 20, 13 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
I separate work by stuff I've written as academic and the stuff where others have written about my office (or where our work is included in a book or whatever). They are mostly non-overlapping domain so it makes sense as categories go. I put articles that I've written online in cv just as part of normal list, usually at the end.

I don't put anything like archdaily in the list of publications (of our work) because the number is extreme when it comes to digital media and the ease of getting on those sites reduces their legitimacy in a way. Archdaily is a special case as is archinect but it can be a fine line.
Mar 20, 13 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
George85

Thanks Will.

Mar 22, 13 4:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: