Archinect
anchor

laptop recommandation for Architect

cmrhm

Happy New Year, GUYS!

I am thinking of buying a powerful laptop for the design, rendering, and internet surfing. Anyone have good recommendations?

The paramters influence my decision in following sequence:
1. nVidia graphic card
2. price ranging around $2000
3. RAM
4. processor

Here is one from computer magazine:
http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=29186

I wonder if there is a website comparing the laptops for AEC industry?

Jan 7, 08 1:24 pm
simples

cmrhm...in the spirit of being helpful, on the archnect discussion homepage, at the bottom, there is a search engine...type "laptop" and you will find many many many threads re. laptops for architects...you might find the information you are looking for in one of those pages! one from last year:

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=64662_0_42_0_C

Jan 7, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Thanks simples. It did help me. But I have a more specific laptop to consider, hopefully someone can put some critics on it.

Jan 7, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Sorry. I need to make it clear. This is the one I am considering to buy:
http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=29186

Jan 7, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Not sure I've ever seen a reliable hardware review source dedicated specifically to the needs of the AEC industry ... but, in case you're not already familiar with CNET, you might want to check out their site - they have a pretty good way of helping navigate through the various options: cnet laptop reviews

Jan 7, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

A CS buddy of mine and I kicked around the idea of a design-world oriented hardware site. got as far as the domain name and mock ups, and then ran into various issues re advertisers and content (ie. there's alot of info nvidia and ati would prefer you not know)

But such a site would be useful.

Jan 7, 08 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I knew someone who had a sager laptop a few years ago and I was not too impressed.

pros:
a lot of horsepower for the money

cons:
ugly
extremely heavy - you might as well just get a desktop
poor build quality

Jan 7, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

to answer your question: Gaming laptops generally aren't the best performers or the best value for most design-oriented uses. Performance is generally good, but for most scenarios you could do better for similar or less $

Jan 7, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

Check the discussion groups for your primary software. Users will usually post about the software's ability to take advantage of dual processors, dual/quad core, processor speed, faster RAM, graphics card specs, etc.

Jan 7, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Get a Tablet if you can is my recommendation

i would never go w/o one now.

Jan 7, 08 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Thank you, guys. I will do more research tonight and post my thoughts later.

Jan 7, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

i'm a dell fan (running an xps desktop, veryy happily)

i priced out one of the new xps1530 laptops, which rang-in around $1500 decently equipped for what i need.

today i browsed the dell outlet store, and could not pass up an inspiron 1720 heavily equipped for dirt cheap.

there are deals out there!

Jan 7, 08 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

That sager is made by clevo, I had one of the other 17" clevo re-brands. It was really big and heavy, I don't think I'll ever buy a 17" notebook again. I couldn't find any bags aside from huge timbuk2 messenger bags that it would fit in nicely and it seriously hurts your shoulder to carry it around.

Also if you step it up a notch to the next level Sager (don't remember the model) you'll be running a desktop processor. The thing you have to watch with these guys is they get REALLY HOT. You really need to run them on a notebook cooler in order to keep from frying the mother board (mine is fried) and it's a pretty common problem. It may not be as big of a deal with this particular model, but it's just a caution. They are really amazingly fast and a delight to use, but you have to maintain it properly or it will not last.

Most of the components in the Sager's are quality parts and are the same parts Dell and Alienware and Voodoo all use.

Also if you're going to spend that kind of money on a 17" machine with a bad ass graphics card spend the extra $150 and get the WUXGA. I love mine and will have a hard time getting anything less in the future.

Jan 8, 08 3:17 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

psycho-mullet:

WUXGA="WUXGA stands for Widescreen Ultra eXtended Graphics Array and is a display resolution of 1920×1200 pixels (2,304,000 pixels) with a 16:10 screen aspect ratio"

Is this what you refer to?

The sager is heaveier than others. Why? Because it is dulable even if I drop it to the floor?

Thanks for your opinons.

Jan 15, 08 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

Yes that is the screen I refer to. I really like it.

I'm not sure the one you are looking at is quite as heavy, but in part just due to the large size and a 17" glass screen. On certain models they use desktop components which tend to be a bit heavier, and it has all the bells and whistles, great sound, lots of speakers, a built in webcam, bad ass videocard, built in card readers room for multiple hard drives, these are features most notebooks don't have and it all adds up.

I wouldn't dwell on the weight too much depending on your intended use, it didn't hamper me really, but if you're planning on traveling the world and taking your computer with you I'd advise looking for something lighter and more compact. If you're going back and forth to school or work or something it's probably not that big of deal. I just thought it was worth noting. I have multiple computers and need a really fast desktop so I think in the future I wont try and get a desktop replacement so much as a notebook that can get me by for some modeling if I want to work from a cafe in the afternoon, but I'll still use my desktop as a render node for the serious work.

Jan 15, 08 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

wow you guys have way too much time on your hands.

Jan 16, 08 12:24 am  · 
 · 
trace™

yup, I am with pyscho - don't get a 17 incher. I love my Dell M90, but it weighs a TON (you wouldn't think a few pounds would kill you a few times a week, but it takes its toll).

IF you want a 17", the Dell M90 is still the best that I've found (Quadro card, etc.)

Next time I won't try a desktop replacement either. That 13.3" Dell XPS is looking really nice.

Jan 16, 08 9:04 am  · 
 · 
shaner

its very very important you have at least 2gigs of RAM

i like the sager

Jan 16, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

shaner:

With 2G RAM, what nVidia card I need to have? Geforce or Quardo?

I will always go nVidia instead of ATI. Here is nVidia link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebooks.html

Jan 17, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

trace™ :

I just noticed you mentioned DELL M90. The people in Dell recommends me XPS instead so I am very curious about M90. Is it better than XPS series?

For price/quality, I am more inclined to buy Sager 5793 since it is cheaper than customized Dell1530( 2GB RAM, 8700 GeForce GTX and others). But Sager have no international support since I might bring it to Asia someday. That is bothering me. Dell can offer second country warranty. What do you guys think?

Feb 25, 08 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Good Day everyone, i am looking for a Laptop for my Masters in Architecture and Professional work, a laptop that i will use for the next 5 years if i can.

please feel free to provide any feedback or information that could be helpful. 

my main concern is for the laptop to not lag or to take longer time to process things than a desktop. 

Programs expecting to be used: 

Rhino + grasshopper - modeling (algorithmic calculations)

Autodesk - CAD, Revit, Maya, MAX - rendering

Adobe Suite - Photoshop, Illustrator, ect.  

Lumion - animations

i recently purchased a Mobile Precision 7510 XCTO BASE, with following specs

Intel® Core™ i7-6920HQ (Quad Core 2.90GHz, 3.80GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W, w/Intel HD Graphics 530)

346-BBRH1Smartcard Reader

490-BCPK1Nvidia® Quadro® M2000M w/4GB GDDR5

391-BCFI115.6" UltraSharp™ FHD IPS Touch (1920x1080) Wide View LED-backlit, camera and microphone

370-ACSV132GB, DDR4-2133MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMS, Non-ECC

400-AFGV1512GB 2.5 inch SATA Class 20 Solid State Drive

some problem dell had with Windows and their software not being compatible with the hardware.but as i received the laptop, the mouse-pad kept freezing and lagging, this was a concern i had and had to troubleshoot the laptop and eventually send it back, the problem is that the laptop software was not install properly and the hardware was faulty. 

is there another laptop that is similar or better than this one 

thank you for your time everyone.

Best

Daniel 

-- 

Jul 30, 16 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Get the model suggested earlier in this 2008 thread. I am sure it's good enough to run internet explorer. Looks like you'll need some time to learn Google first.
Jul 31, 16 6:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: