Archinect
anchor

UCLA AUD Graduate Program

greathensby

Hello All,

I recently got into UCLA AUD around the end of Feburary. I was very pleased and excited. I was researching it for a while about the school before and after the application process but I just can not understand why UCLA AUD is not even on the rankings in several publications. I mean SCI-Arc is ranked, UCB CED is ranked but not UCLA AUD. Does anyone have answer for this?

Also, I am choosing between Syracuse University M. Arch 1 program and UCLA AUD. Anyone can help me with this decision?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 14, 13 4:19 pm
Tanuja

An advantage to UCLA is that it is in LA, so there are more opportunities for internships and networking. Syracuse is a well known school, but it is in the middle of nowhere.  

Are you from the east or west coast? Since I'm from the west, I would prefere to go east for a new and different experience but if I had a choice between Syracuse and UCLA, I would pick UCLA. Ideally you want a school with a good rep and location, and I feel that UCLA has both.

Also, I've heard UCLA is more theory based, but I'm not sure about this.

Just my thoughts =]

Mar 14, 13 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Many of the goofball ranking lists are based on feedback from practitioners.  UCLA's program is relatively small compared to Berkeley and SCI-Arc, and has both less alumni to report favorably on the program, and less folks who have experience with their graduates.

Here is Los Angeles, I think there is consensus that recent UCLA grads are on average higher quality than those from SCI-Arc.  But that's just in my peer group, and the older Sci-Arc grads (pre-EOM dynasty) are maybe better... if they are still in architecture.

To make it more complicated: Make sure that you visit UCLA and talk to recent grads.  It's not cheap if you are out of state, and over the last few years the program has suffered quite a bit from cuts to higher ed.  Many of the good, younger studio professors have fled elsewhere...

Mar 14, 13 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

And because reputations are regional, it's worth thinking about where you want to work afterwards.  Syracuse has little name recognition on the west coast, but is well regarded in NYC.

Mar 14, 13 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
greathensby
@ Tanuja

I am from West cost and did undergraduate at Berkeley. I would like to experience the east cost but I think It is not that worth a try to go to Syracuse. Thanks for your comment!

@Janosh

I see. I did not know that UCLA is a young and small school in terms of graduate program. I heard that it is rapidly growing school tho. How is Syracuse grad school program compare to other programs in the east? Do firms like students from Syracuse? Thank you for your input!
Mar 15, 13 12:40 am  · 
 · 
greathensby
@ Tanuja

I am from West cost and did undergraduate at Berkeley. I would like to experience the east cost but I think It is not that worth a try to go to Syracuse. Thanks for your comment!

@Janosh

I see. I did not know that UCLA is a young and small school in terms of graduate program. I heard that it is rapidly growing school tho. How is Syracuse grad school program compare to other programs in the east? Do firms like students from Syracuse? Thank you for your input!
Mar 15, 13 12:40 am  · 
 · 
Juma N.

Also, I am choosing between Syracuse University M. Arch 1 program and UCLA AUD. Anyone can help me with this decision?

Some would say this is one of those questions that answers itself, in this case, a third option: choose neither. To not already know how fundamentally different these two schools are is to not be ready for graduate school. Perhaps you can defer enrollment at both, take a year to do the do the research, and decide then. 

Mar 15, 13 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

Juma N.

I don't agree on this with you. Maybe he/she already had the answer him/herself, but still want to collect more insight information and advices from people who went to these schools or know more about the locations. It is what this forum is made for. We don't know then we ask. For international students like me, all the info I can get is through google and schools' website. And sure they can't tell everything, that's when I need this forum.

Besides, deferring is easier said than done. He/she may has other personal constraints that won't allow it (family, age, funds, jobs...)

Lastly, I believe choosing a school is not a completely rational decision. Hesitations is understandable. And when I hesitate, it's natural to ask for some outside opinions. And it is not very constructive an answer like the one you made.

Mar 17, 13 6:19 am  · 
1  · 
tim770503

I got the same question wondering why. And I am choosing between UCLA and WUSTL. I love UCLA and the city but WUSTL is ranked 4 and 9 in graduate program these two years. 

It's very difficult for me to make a decision.

Can any one give me some advises?

Mar 18, 13 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
jjanke

Rankings are meaningless. Your best bet is to literally go down the faculty list, Google their names, and look at their websites. Are they doing actual work or are they just talking about it? Are they contributing to Scholarly publications such as Log? Go where your heroes are. Be careful though...make sure you single out core faculty, not visiting professors from 10 years ago.

I had to make the same decision between UCLA AUD and SSOA (and other schools) a couple years ago. Not even close! UCLA in a heartbeat. Syracuse was so depressing...the city and the student's work.

Can't beat Greg Lynn, Thom Mayne, Neil Denari, Hitoshi Abe, Jason Payne, Heather Roberge, Georgina Huljich, Sylvia Lavin, Dana Cuff...I could go on. I'm loving my UCLA education.

Mar 26, 13 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Jono Lee

@jjanke

Are you taking part in the new IDEAS program? If not, were you able to register into studio time under Mayne?

Mar 26, 13 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
jjanke

Nope. I'm in my third year, about to graduate. The IDEAS program is just now being implemented and doesn't start until next fall when I'm gone. I am currently in Thom Mayne's yearlong Haiti NOW studio.

Mar 27, 13 12:01 am  · 
 · 
Jono Lee

That still sounds amazing. Do you plan on working in LA after you graduate?

Mar 27, 13 12:10 am  · 
 · 
jjanke

Yeah I like it a lot. It's a really tough studio...not a sexy topic but I've learned a ton. Thom and Eui-Sung Yi (another Morphosis principal) are great teachers. With this studio and the rest of my UCLA education, I feel totally prepared to go out and dominate the professional world. And I am planning on working in LA. Job searching now actually.

Mar 27, 13 12:57 am  · 
 · 
windmill67

In general, how do you feel the job prospects are for you and your fellow MArch I graduates? Are most people staying in LA? What sort of jobs are people you know from school getting?

Mar 27, 13 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
jjanke

In general, there's a lot of opportunity in LA. There are tons of firms. I'm not worried about getting hired; the question is what type of work and what size firm? I don't know what everyone's specific situation is, mostly because we've had no time to talk about it. This is because the quarter system adds an extra layer of brutal on top of what architecture school already is. Some people already have jobs working part-time. Other people are gunning for super corporate/ max money positions to pay off student loans (although I would say UCLA AUD is anti-corporate). Some are trying to get positions at international design firms or with faculty.

There are a couple recent grads that ended up at UNStudio. At least 1 person ended up at Morphosis. There are also some that are kicking ass at Gensler. I think UCLA prepares you to go wherever you want, do whatever you want...if you take the grad experience seriously.

Mar 28, 13 6:23 am  · 
 · 
jjanke

And I just want to mention one more thing about the quarter system because I think its important. At UCLA, there are 3 studios per year, 10 weeks each. If you compare a UCLA project to a SCI-Arc, USC, etc. of the same studio level, I think you will find that UCLA is highly competitive if not better (depending on your own subjective metric). UCLA does 16 week quality in 10 weeks. UCLA teaches you to do more with less time and with less revision. This has been very valuable to me and is one more reason why I am not worried about landing a job. Its just one more skill that gives me at an advantage over USC and SCI-Arc grads.

Mar 28, 13 6:42 am  · 
 · 
dawnchorus

Does UCLA offer advanced placement into their 3 year program? I've been offered admission but I have taken most of the first year classes in my undergraduate degree already.

Mar 28, 13 10:08 am  · 
 · 
jjanke

You have to talk to admissions about that one. They might if you're a special case. But you can waive most of the first year classes anyways...all you need is some proof that what you took in undergrad is comparable. But there a a couple first year classes you don't want to miss, such as Sylvia Lavin's Theories of Architecture. Amazing class. Maybe the best teacher I've ever had, period.

Mar 30, 13 4:45 am  · 
 · 
windmill67

Was anyone on here able to attend their open house this weekend? How was it?

Mar 31, 13 7:26 am  · 
 · 
Jono Lee
It should be starting in about 5 hours and 20minutes... Unless I'm terribly mistaken..
Mar 31, 13 8:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: