Archinect
anchor

MArch 1 UOregon or MArch 1 UWashington

Mrvanwest
Which school would you recommend? Thinking about green/sustainable architecture.

Mar 12, 13 11:21 am
ziazia
Eugene Or Portland?
Mar 12, 13 11:34 am  · 
 · 

I would say oregon. From looking at the work of the schools Washington seems more into theory, while oregon seems mostly interested in sustainable urban design

Mar 12, 13 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Mrvanwest
Eugene
Mar 12, 13 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Washington - Seattle.

Bigger market for jobs.  There are a lot of professional practice electives toward the end.  How MUCH do you have to learn about sustainability?  Those classes are also available at UW and that whole region is all about sustainability.  Not only that, it's a more dynamic campus and a good department ... and a nicer place to be for grad students.

Mar 12, 13 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
observant

One more thing:

Washington's Seattle campus is great, though Eugene's is nice, albeit rural.  It's about half the size of Washington's, so it's cozier.  Since there is now a Portland program, there is NO U of O campus in Portland - any programs they have are carried out in downtown buildings.

Mar 12, 13 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

There is technically a UO campus in Portland - it is the Whitestag building in old town portland.  http://pdx.uoregon.edu/school-architecture-and-allied-arts

Either way since you're deciding between Eugene & Seattle you need to strongly consider if you want to be in a rural area or a big city.  Most of the architecture jobs in Oregon are in Portland & Eugene is several hours away.  In Seattle you're in the city you'd be closer to potential jobs in the city and honestly as a UO Alum who spent my grad school years in Portland at the Whitestag Building I would NOT go to Eugene I'd pick Seattle.  I don't know how it is at UW but I do know for a fact in Eugene you are integrated with undergrads in classes & studios as well as sharing resources such as the laser cutter etc. with a huge number of people.  Its definitely something else to think about as you make your choice.  

Mar 12, 13 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

Right.  I figured it would be in "Old Town."

UW has a 4 year BA with a smaller enrollment, given that there is a 5 yr. B.Arch. across state, so it's a smaller school altogether, even though it's in a larger school.  The first year M.Arch. is large enough that they can run separate sections, but there might be some mixing, like in history.  Facilities are shared with u.g.s and g.s.  Between Seattle and Eugene, it's Seattle hands-down.  

Mar 12, 13 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Cizz

@Imnop15

How is the job outlook for UO of Grads in Portland, or west coast in general. 

I was just admitted, and am curious to about the amount of weight the school has in the area. Also I thought you could transfer/apply to Portland after your first year in Eugene.

Mar 12, 13 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
freebrowndeer

@imnop15

I also just got admitted to UO-Eugene. Could you please share more of your experience in UO's grad program. Such as pros and cons or any tips/ comments would really be helpful.

Thanks. 

Mar 13, 13 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Cizz

Or any u of Oregon grad

Mar 13, 13 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
clack

I visited UO but didn't apply.  As I understand it, you can apply to be on the Portland campus after at least 1 semester in Eugene.  It sounded like there was very little interaction with practicing architects on the Eugene campus as opposed to Portland campus, but that the Portland campus didn't have the same focus on sustainability that the Eugene campus does.

Mar 13, 13 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
JReynders

I'm in to both schools for the M.Arch II programs and am pretty torn. Anything else I should know about either program?

Mar 16, 13 12:17 am  · 
 · 
nycdesigns

If your intended focus is urban design, I say UO (Portland). Being that I am heading to the grad prgm there, I may be a little biased and less in favor of UW. I don't know about that prgm also.

Portland is about 2 hours drive from Eugene. Yes, Eugene has the campus but from an Urban Design / Development  viewpoint....you have much more to plug into in Portland. When you hear people say Eugene is a rural campus, don't read all the way into thinking that Eugene is some small town. The campus is enjoyable while things off campus could be a little faster and more up tempo but that's just my preference.

If you are applying to the M.Arch 1, you are looking at just over a year of classes, right. The first term is going to have a lot of your fundamentals i.e research / writing.....that are only offered in Eugene from what I have been told. It seems like there are more practicing faculty in Portland. The job market, while better in Portland that Eugene, is a slow mover. Grads make use of alumni connections all up and down the West and move eg up to Seattle or down to San Fran after school.

In Eugene, you are either going to really on someone in AIAS who may have a finger on the AIA pulse in Eugene to connect to practitioners. You may also have to just go to AIA chapter events yourself. Portland has a student liaison from what I have heard. Which doesn't mean more open doors but it's someone working to try establish firm connections. Bigger questions? I would ask Architecture Admissions and be nice, they are going to be with you for a while. I would also start sending feelers to the Eugene and Portland AIA chapters.

Mar 18, 13 5:54 am  · 
 · 
duomo

Go to Washington.

Mar 19, 13 1:03 am  · 
 · 
trail.runner

I did my undergraduate at UW and my Master's at UO, so I thought I'd throw my two cents in. First, Eugene is not rural. The city was surprisingly great after living in Seattle, and there is a great nightlife and music scene. I was never bored (it helped that I was also doing an M. Arch) and I think that not being in a big city helped me focus more on my studies. I got involved in research and campus events, which really rounded out my whole experience. Most of the graduates from my class in Eugene left Eugene, and I believe everyone was employed by the end of the year. Most of my classmates went to Seattle, SF, NYC, Minneapolis, and Boston for work, clearly we went all over the map.

As for some differences between the programs. Seattle was a lot more professional practice. All the professors there are part time and have practices of their own, which is great because you get to see job sites, it is also a bummer because they were often hard to reach and meet with outside of class. UW has more fabrication classes also, if you are into that sort of thing. At UO, the professors are super involved in school, they often have class dinners at their houses, come in for extra studio hours during review times to help/answer questions. I really felt like they wanted me to succeed.

The other main difference is the type of reviews you get. At UW we had the standard review: stand up and present in front of the whole class and a panel of 5-7 professors and practicing architects. Sometimes it could be brutal. People laughed, lots of people cried, and although it was usually constructive, sometimes it was just critical which is not conductive to learning. At UO, the reviews are done a bit differently. There are 2-3 simultaneous reviews going on, each with 2-3 people. The idea is that it is a conversation with you and the reviewers, and you get 2-3 reviews, rather than 1 at UW. Overall I prefer the UO style, since I think my projects were better because of it, but sometimes I wished for the UW style, where I would really be attacked and need to defend my project on the verge of tears. There was one studio at UO where we requested a panel review, so the professors are definitely open to suggestions. There are also a lot more opportunities for research at UO. Everyone professor is doing something, find one you are interested in and dive in!

Mar 19, 14 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: