Archinect
anchor

how do i become a good architect

rbaez

ok i am going to be starting school in the coming summer and i went ahead and bought myself a pair of camper shoes and a started weaing one size too small ,hee hee, but what other things can i do to be a good architect. i am pretty goo dat drawing and i know i got to that point by always drawing and practicing but i have no clue what i should be "practicing" to improve my architectual skills. im not sure if this quesytion makes alot of sense but hopefully i can get some helpfrom everyone. thanks guys

Dec 31, 07 1:41 am
rbaez

oh cmon guys someone say somthing

Dec 31, 07 2:46 am  · 
 · 
crowbert

spellcheck.

Dec 31, 07 3:47 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

see, the way it works is, you've got to assasinate a starchitect. then there will be a power struggle. you've got to make sure in the end, everyone else is dead, and just you are left standing. it's like terminator crossed w/ scarface. termface!

that is what makes a good architect. none of this 60 hour workweeks for low pay bullsh*t.

Dec 31, 07 4:28 am  · 
 · 
trace™

borrow, steal and cheat. it's the only way to the top

then you can assassinate them all!!

Dec 31, 07 7:39 am  · 
 · 
some person

baez: You sound like you're off to a good start. Sometimes good drawing skills are half the battle when you are trying to convince a client to buy your idea or win a job. One can have all the great ideas in the world, but an inability to communicate them on the fly can be detrimental.

If you can get an internship with a local architecture firm part time while you are in school, it will help you immensely. Even if it's not actually doing architectural work (because assumedly you don't have any architectural skills yet - it's okay), you will still be exposed to how a firm operates.

You might also want to start taking more photographs of buildings - overall shots and building details. How do materials come together? What is the relationship to the windows to the rest of the facade? etc. Develop an eye for composition and building elements.

Dec 31, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Camper shoes are a good start. I think you need to work on your wardrobe a little more, though. I'd move to all-black outfits with a massive selection of brightly colored scarves - then get yourself some really wacky glasses.

After you've gotten your clothes, change your name to something vaguely Spanish/German-sounding, like "Francisco Kunstwerk" and develop an ubiquitous European accent

After this, anything you produce in studio will be praised as visionary just because you look and sound appropriate.

-to

Dec 31, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

couldn't help myself...

I wouldn't worry about becoming a good architect yet - you have several years to get there. Just keep an open mind - and have fun.

-to

Dec 31, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

I've always wanted to know what kind of personality one had to have to be a good architect.
I've learned you obviously have to have a thick skin and be able to withstand a lot of criticism-from clients, bosses, coworkers, the press, and the folks on Archinect :)

LOL @ the "assassinate the starchitect comment"...hmh!

Dec 31, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

"In order to be a great artist, you simply have to be a great artist. There's nothing to learn, so you're all just waisting your time here."

So says the great Marvin Bushmiller

Same probably applies to architecture.

Dec 31, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

I've often wondered if being arrogant makes you a more successful architect.

Dec 31, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

arrogant people are usually the ones who are trying to cover up for, or substituting something they don't have. do not fall for it. if you confront them at the slightest, they will tack their tail between their legs and leave you alone fearing you might blow their cover.
yeah some of them are good architects but their arrogance has nothing to do with that...

Dec 31, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I hope you all realize that the only reason I'm on this forum is so that I can learn all your weaknesses and exploit and then crush them. KING OF THE HILL BABY!

All seriousness aside...
IMHO, in becoming a "starchitect" involves many factors, two of them being luck and sheer talent plus those listed below.

To objectify a "good" architect (in no particular order):

Business and artistic skills.
Presentation and selling skills.
Know the business and know how to socialize (networking).
Never stop learning.
Become one with the (or your niche) market.
Know the current trend and/or be able to predict it.
Find your unique style of design?
Charisma probably helps.

Dec 31, 07 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Holz - you have to assassinate the starchitect by cutting off his head, then there is a giant lightning show and all of his power and knowledge is transferred into you.

Dec 31, 07 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i don't remember that at all.

it's all his fault...

but crowbert is correct on the technique.

Dec 31, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

become a good architect?? come on, set ur standard higher... be the greatest architect ever exist in mankind.

Dec 31, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

To become a good architect you must sacrifice a virgin to the gods.

Dec 31, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
vapor

you'll need to get some freitag bags too

Jan 1, 08 5:29 am  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

not many architects wear campers. most architects wear aging ugly black shoes from some neo-bladerunner-esque design that was popular about 7 years ago and for whatever reason they keep wearing them even though they're falling apart. they get a C in their fashionability. campers are cool but kind of goofy and kind of oh-so-2002, but they are better than what most architects wear. what the really cool architects wear: well, I can't divulge that because I don't want everyone knowing the secret. you have to be cool enough to figure it out.

Jan 1, 08 11:42 am  · 
 · 
crowbert

You know, like this Holz,

Jan 1, 08 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
BluLiteSpcl6321

Coke...lot's of coke.

You also need to learn how to ski. All good architects design the slope of the roof according to their current level of confidence at skiing. Example: FLW=bad skiier. Predock=Phenomenal skiier.
End of story.

Get to work!

Jan 1, 08 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

Do you guys believe that once you achieved a certain caliber of skill in architecture, you should venture out on your own (i.e. free-lance)? I personally have a very stubborn mentality of working for no-one except my self (and of course the client) after I achieved a certain amount of knowledge to be on my on. Meaning, I would most likely be a little "pesty" intern and ask the more skilled architects questions that will aid me later in the field.

Another question to the group, would you rather venture out on your own, or stay in a very prominent firm and work your way up. I am still naive to the business/firm world of architecture, but I believe it would be more challenging to grow in a firm, than if you were on your own.

Anyone want to aid my naivete?

Jan 2, 08 2:09 am  · 
 · 
trace™

one thing your forgot to mention as a prerequisite to starachitecture - money. You need to either inherent, or marry into money. you can't create beautiful drawings, enter endless competitions.

Examples: Morphosis built one house per three years starting off. Meier's claim to fame were homes in New Canaan for his parent's friends and his brother (one of the wealthiest areas in the country).

The #1 thing that most don't do, and this is applicabe to all things, particularly creative fields, is that they do not study their peers regularly. Read the magazines, buy the El Croquis, spend days in Barnes and Noble. Read, observe and learn.

This, imho, is the single most important thing to furthering your own talents (assuming you have some). I am always shocked how many call themselves professionals, yet have no idea who the top in their own profession are or what they are doing.

I have also learned that if I toss a few names out there, whether it be 'archinect' or a name of a top designer/architect and the guy I am interviewing doesn't know who they are, I don't want to hire them (at least not for anything creative).

Jan 2, 08 8:00 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

problem is trace, you never really get a "Lifestyles of Famous Architects" magazine that explains the background of these cats. I know Calatrava came from money and after that post i would assume alot of them do.

And here my solidly middle class ass sits, no prob though. I've got some actual work going on the side and I'm not even out of school yet.

Jan 2, 08 9:09 am  · 
 · 
aspect

how others become famous not my concern... i do what i like.

Jan 2, 08 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

If you want to be good, work hard and efficiently.

Same goes for almost anything I suppose. Being effective at getting work is more about the right business skills - work hard and learn everything you can to get the right skills and knowledge, politicking, managing, and marketing to the right people. Even better though might be to hire the right person or partner with the right person to do a fair bit of this for you.

If you're also talking about being good in design, as an architect contributing to the cultural landscape the same goes, but even more so - get to work, question what you're doing, if it's good or not, and keep going after it. Talk to people about it. Sweat over it. Agonize about it. Wake up at night thinking about it.

Chances are if you're experiencing fatalism about your work, you're not spending enough time actually doing it. So, that's my 2 cents - work hard and focus.

Jan 2, 08 10:12 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

trace, that's some good news for me. I came from money, AND I married into money. *whew*. Half-way there.

Jan 2, 08 10:33 am  · 
 · 

be stubborn.

decide what being a 'good' architect means to you, get on that path, and don't leave the path.

continually question your definition of 'good' and redirect as necessary.

remember that, in addition to client service and personal satisfaction, maintaining professional ethics are a big part of your job. the general public is, in many ways, a primary stakeholder in everything you do - not just you and not just your client. so: is what you're doing worth building? is it good for the community in which it sits?

Jan 2, 08 10:50 am  · 
 · 

word! I agree with Steven there has to be healthy dose of "gosh darnit - I know I'm wright" in there. I went to school with a cat that was committed to doing his way and after registration went out on his own, with not even a nickel to scratch with and is doing mighty well now...on his own terms

Jan 2, 08 11:02 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Keep your eyes and mind open.

Ask constantly of everything you see in the built world: "why is it like that?". Example: when you see a door knob that is symmetrical, ask why it is that way when our hands are not. When you see a deeply recessed window in a thick wall, ask if the sun is intense enough in that location to merit it. When you see Dryvit, ask why the architect thought a stucco simulation was a good choice here.

Very often you will find dissatisfying answers. If you can then come up with a satisfying solution, you are on your way to doing good design.

Jan 2, 08 11:10 am  · 
 · 
simples

keep your mind always open to new thoughts/ideas, and be eager to explore those new thoughts/ideas as far as you can...push while in school...push hard...

Jan 2, 08 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
crgixxer

To be a good architect is easy....DON"T go to architecture school at all costs.

Jan 2, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Orphan

don't just COPY and paste the idea but steal it...

Jan 2, 08 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yup, as the saying goes (first semester we were enlightened with this fact): "good architects borrow, great architects steal"

or something like that. Look at the consistency in the early drawings of Morphosis, Hadid and others. Even Meier had a style of drawing that complimented his designs very well. All very thorough and well thought out, from the diagrams through the models and into the plans, and, finally, into the buildings.

I should amend my earlier post - I would never suggest that the stararchitect's are not the best out there, just that there are many that are very good but don't get the luxury of exploring and testing ideas without the concerns of clients and the business world.

Good architecture can be great business, learn to answer 'why' with not only theory but sound economics, whether it be an iconic building that justifies no budget constraints or your neighbors garage.

Jan 2, 08 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
rbaez

WEll thank you you ALL very much fo all the advice. i didn't think i would get all this feedback butit is VERY helpfull but special thanks to liberty bell trace and Gabe Bergeron

Jan 3, 08 12:59 am  · 
 · 

gio ponti agrees with liberty bell:
The architect (the artist) must imagine for each window a person at the sill; for each door a person passing through; for each stair a person going up or down; for each portico a person loitering; for each foyer two persons meeting; for each terrace somebody resting; for each room, somebody living within.

another gem from ponti:
Every beautiful piece of architecture has survived its original appearance, purpose, and function, and many have served many functions successively. The right of an architectural work to last – and finally, its right to be – lies only in its beauty and not in its function. For it assumes a new function – beauty. Beauty is the most resistant structure and the most resistant material.

Jan 3, 08 7:15 am  · 
 · 
LameArc

bad architects copy ideas, good architects steal them

Jan 7, 08 5:04 am  · 
 · 

this thread isn't about starchitects - that's a marketing element; the architect as object and object creator...which oddly recalls Eisenman/Decon sign/signifier.

Good architects are thorough, independently creative, contextual lubricants, and with enough integrity to say no, thanks

Jan 7, 08 10:21 am  · 
 · 
rbaez

im not sure if i understand the whole bad architects copy ideas good architects steal ideas.

and to architechnophilia that sounds like a very good definition of a goo darchitect but what things need to be practiced in order to become that

Jan 7, 08 11:24 am  · 
 · 
SandRoad

Nice quotes, Steven... especially the second one I think is just really improtant .....Made me think of

"It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic,
Of all things physical and metaphysical,
Of all things human and all things super-human,
Of all true manifestations of the head,
Of the heart, of the soul,
That the life is recognizable in its expression,
That form ever follows function. This is the law."

which is of course sullivan... and so the form-follows-function abbreviation of sullivan's actual quote probably shouldn't be interpreted as pragamatically or basically as it tends to get thrown around... I think it's more related to the beauty as function idea as in your ponti quote... so that the function, say, of a sullivan skyscraper is to express its life: its tall-ness... which is its beauty.

Jan 7, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 

th@nks rbaez

here's the things to practice...

1. drawing...by hand; doesn't matter what, just draw
2. take pictures...b&w/colour...doesn't matter
3. write...place your thoughts on paper
4. get involved...even if its simple as a beach clean-up
5. listen...

Jan 7, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

go to an ivy league school, otherwise giveup.

Jan 8, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
mike de

if you wanna be good....
realize you're only worth as much as you get billed at. maximize your billable hours.
Thats the reality.

Jan 8, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
LameArc

how do i become a good architect? thats like asking, "how exactly is a rainbow made?" or "how does a sun set?" or "how does the posi-track work on the rear end of a plymouth?"

Jan 9, 08 4:26 am  · 
 · 
voila_phil

First, please spell correctly, not using slang please, this is a fly on a professor's shoulder.

Second, buy a sketchpad and start drawing whatever you can and see. Study perspectives and the principles involved.

Third, subscribe to a magazine service like Architectural Record or Wallpaper* (Wallpaper* is foreign and I have both as subscriber)

Fourth, buy an architecture dictionary and study its terminologies. I recommend Cyril M. Harris.

Fifth, pay attention in class and play around with software. Your first will probably be AutoCAD.

Sixth, anything you see, don't take it as granted. Sometimes your designs are born from your surroundings, like your cell phone, TV, mouse, or computer speakers.

Hoped I helped, good luck and God bless.

Jan 21, 08 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
rbaez

voila_phil yes this was some very helpfull advice. i especially liked your third and fourth points, they make a lot of sense but for some reason they just never crossed my mind. thanks again

Jan 22, 08 9:05 am  · 
 · 
voila_phil

Thanks rbaez!

Jan 22, 08 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
rbaez

schools getting closer and closer everyday im pretty damn exited

Feb 22, 08 10:10 am  · 
 · 
dutchmodernist

Be willing to collaborate. Don't get sucked into the arrogant architect asshole cliche.

Feb 22, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
rbaez

wow dutchmodernist I'm taking a drafting class and an intro to arch class this spring and in both classes it seems everyones has already been sucked into the arrogant architect asshole cliche. i thought it was just a people thing but i guess its an arvhitect thing haha. thanks for the heads up.

Feb 24, 08 8:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: