Archinect
anchor

Dumb question (why not) - in school, did people suit up for final juries?

observant

Yes.  We did.  At the very least, slacks and a jacket for men, though most put on a suit and tie.   Women wore nice outfits.  They were fairly "formal" events. 

Others?

Mar 10, 13 7:23 pm

No tie, but usually slacks and a jacket. Sometimes a really nice pair of jeans. Others went all out. And some others did shorts and a t-shirt. Most everyone went all out for thesis reviews however. 

Mar 10, 13 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

no.  not for decades at least at my uni (for m.arch)

i did wear suit to defend phd and for interview for positions at universities but that is about it when it comes to academia.

for me personally suits are reserved for meeting with govt officials and bankers and such.  

the only time i dressed up for position at office the partner interviewing me thought it was funny...cuz real architects don't wear suits (this was in UK, mind you). 

Mar 10, 13 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Back in the 70s, it was not unusual at all for whole classes to do their final presentations in the nude. Cameras were prohibited, but it was a great time to sketch.

I'm picturing Berkeley, the northern California coast, hot tubs, and free love. J/K.  Funny.

Mar 10, 13 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

I personally know Herzog de Meuron lost a major project in Istanbul in 90's for wearing jeans and sports jackets with no ties in front of board members while presenting their proposal.

It is different now.

Mar 10, 13 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

good for H+DeM.  suit purists are so passe.  Although I look amazing in my powersuit.

Mar 10, 13 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Mar 10, 13 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
kunal.ghevaria

People wear whatever they think is hip. And the definition of what is hip has changed. When Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg wear jeans in any situation, students will surely do the same. In fact, people pride themselves on not being a 'suit'.

Mar 11, 13 1:11 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Dressing up for final juries? What? Most times, we were so under-slept and unkempt, that all we did was shower the morning of the jury.

Mar 11, 13 1:21 am  · 
 · 
citizen

You showered?  Fancy!

Mar 11, 13 1:58 am  · 
 · 

most tried to dress alittle nicer than usual,

some "suited" up it was certainly not required

i think we just thought it was fun ... you know

to not look bummy at least a couple days out of the semester..

Mar 11, 13 11:50 am  · 
 · 
ncecchi

Suits are for funerals.

Designer jeans, designer jacket, button-down shirt, nice boots/ shoes. Basically trying to crib the style of your reviewers without being derivative. You want them to think you look good, and to wish they had found that jacket/ pair of boots/ accessory you have on.

Mar 11, 13 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Suits are for funerals.

For some, many final reviews are ...

Mar 11, 13 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Znaika

^ haha

Mar 11, 13 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Znaika

Remember to:

Mar 11, 13 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

observant - well said.

I appreciated when the students went out of their way to dress nicely, and better when their outfit played into/was somehow related to their presentation/project.

Mar 11, 13 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: