Archinect
anchor

Revit Testing for an interview....

Mar 7 '13 10 Last Comment
Carlos Diaz-GutierrezCarlos Diaz-Gutierrez
Mar 7, 13 9:00 pm

After months of polishing and sending out my work/ resume with endless coverletters interviews are now pouring in, but one firm caught me off by wanting to test me on AutoCAD (I laughed) and Revit (oh snap)! I was a wiz at CAD butnever really used Revit so after brushing up on some basic stuff and online tutorials I feel a little better going into this interview. Has anyone else been tested or conducting tests for Revit? And if so aside from knowing what skill level one might be at, what are they ideally looking for?

Thanks

Gregory WalkerGregory Walker
Mar 7, 13 9:09 pm

proficiency in producing documents in revit. in short, they want a cad monkey. (i've told my staff that, in addition to ever ordering a logo polo shirt for our office, they can shoot me if we ever 'test' anyone during an interview. although, sometimes, i'm really tempted to do bruce mau's test just for fun...)

Joseph WassellJoseph Wassell
Mar 7, 13 9:33 pm

I've been asked very specific questions about programs, but no one has set me in front of a computer for an interview.  It was a "rate yourself" on photoshop, illustrator and revit, with question tailored to where I placed myself.  My revit is sub-par (I'm running through tutorials every night now), and I told them that, but here are a few things I had to describe (either what these things are used for, how to perform the tasks, or both); Design options, schedules and material take-offs, creating custom curtain wall grids, making a new family, and using phases.

What you have to do in this "test" is likely going to be specific to the type of work they do.  For example if they do much renovation work, you'll likely want to make sure you're fully comfortable switching between construction phases, and maybe having different design options within one model.  Consulting work might have you doing some energy modeling and HVAC reports form the analyze tab.

You're probably on top of this already, but I'd recommend knowing your shortcuts for navigating the workspace, and don't leave windows open that you won't be using.  WT and ZA shortcuts are my two best friends in revit.

Best of luck!

Rick Feineis
Mar 8, 13 12:36 am

Carlos, I co-wrote the certified examinations that Autodesk sells.  You can contact me directly for tips on how to prepare for their certifications.  I have several free videos that you can watch to prepare.

You can also go here to take self assessments or to find a local certified testing center

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=14238652&siteID=123112

or

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=14238655

poop876
Mar 8, 13 6:00 pm

You know, I totally understand that. This kid we hired the other day said he's been using AutoCAD for 5 years, so I'm thinking great...but only few days into it I realized he uses one hand and the mouse and uses only the menu for commands, no shortcuts no nothing. His left hand was mostly in his pocket. When I asked him why he wasn't using shortcuts, he tried to convince me that menus were more efficient.

He no longer works with us!

accesskb
Mar 8, 13 6:15 pm

gotta use custom shortcuts... even the default shortcuts are not too helpful.. they're all scattered all over the keyboard which requires you to take your eyes off the screen to locate the keys.  You'd be faster using the menus.  Key is to customize shortcuts to the left hand (or vice versa) so you don't have to look down to press keys or use two hands to press shortcut keys

Xenakis
Mar 8, 13 6:20 pm

When I was using Maya - we had to use shortcuts + marking menus - "we don't hire button pushers" 

firm principal

Xenakis
Mar 8, 13 6:34 pm

I have had to take Revit tests on 6 different occasions - I always bring in a copy of my kbd shortcut file on my stick - I am usually tested for speed and accuracy - that's all that counts in most places, somebody else does the design anyway.

poop876
Mar 8, 13 6:38 pm

Xenakis, are you crazy....from all these discussions nobody wants to be a "cadmonkey" and everybody wants/is the next greatest architect haha.

Not sure how many on here are realistic, but most architects still draw, or whatever you want to call it, and are cadmonkeys!

Xenakis
Mar 8, 13 6:56 pm

How many can realistically aspire to be actual architects anyway? I think BIM expertise offers a more realistic alternative to aspiring to full fledged architecture - I don't want to discourage people from wanting to be an architect - it's just not realistic for most of us.

rpeer
Mar 9, 13 10:21 am

@Xenakis Don't discourage people. It's realistic if you work towards it.

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading