Archinect
anchor

Working in Seoul, Korea.

charlizedesign

Hello there,

Has anyone worked in Korea, Seoul to be specific?

Im trying to understand the architecture/design scene there.

I consider myself a multidisciplinary designer, hold a B.Arch. from Brazil with 6 years experience. I`ve been involved in many graphic design / exhibition design projects.

I was wondering how hard it would be for a foreigner to get a job in Seoul.

Any ideas, where to start from?

Thanks.

Feb 17, 13 9:46 pm
r0sef1nch

Hi, I am like you willing to work there. Have you been able to do it? If so could you give me advice on that? Thanks

Sep 3, 22 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
jaewonchoi

The architectural work environment in Korea is not accessible. Not only is the wage low, but there is also a lot of overtime work. There were many cases where I worked over 100 hours of overtime for a month at my firm. Also, English is not commonly used in Korean architecture firms, so you should consider the linguistic problems.

Sep 15, 22 12:01 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

Sorry this maybe a dumb question, but do Korean firms pay for overtime, comp hours, or give them bonus at the end of the year?

Sep 18, 22 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

It depends on the firms. Usually, Korean companies don't pay for overtime or pay only a small fee. For example, even if you work an extra 100 hours, the firm may pay only money for about 30 hours of overtime. I don't want to recommend starting an architectural career in Korea.

Sep 18, 22 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

Thanks. I figured. Too late for me to start another architectural career anyway. So I guess you are not working in S. Korea anymore?

Sep 18, 22 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

I restarted my career in America. I hope I can work here for a long time.

Sep 18, 22 10:55 pm  · 
 · 

It depends on the firms. Usually, Korean companies don't pay for overtime or pay only a small fee. For example, even if you work an extra 100 hours, the firm may pay only money for about 30 hours of overtime. I don't want to recommend starting an architectural career in Korea.

Sep 18, 22 7:33 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: