Archinect
anchor

Architecture = Career Suicide...Yahoo's Latest

LITS4FormZ

I love these "articles"

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/degrees_not_to_earn.htm?kid=1NUJI

Opportunity Killer #4: Architecture
Unemployment Rate for Recent College Graduates: 13.9 percent*

There are few things as inspirational as a beautiful building or home. That said, thanks to the massive hit the housing and commercial real estate industries took in the past decade, this degree may not lead to a good job outlook.

Consider the fact that it got the highest unemployment rate among the degrees examined in the Georgetown study.

"This is a tough major that usually requires five years of study instead of four, and I don't expect housing to come back for many years," says Heathfield. "Not enough to put this degree in demand." Although she acknowledges that architects do also work outside the housing industry, she still isn't big on this degree.

What to Earn Instead: Bachelor's in Engineering
Unemployment Rate for Recent College Graduates: 7.3 percent (electrical engineering), 8.1 percent (civil engineering), and 8.6 (mechanical engineering)*

A bachelor's in engineering, particularly electrical engineering, is another top pick of Heathfield's, mainly because of its demand in computer technology. "There will be a lot of well-paying jobs for these graduates for a long time to come," she says.

Click to Find the Right Engineering Program Now.

*All unemployment figures per the 2012 report by the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce called "Hard Times: Not all College Degrees Are Created Equal." The report defines "recent college graduates" as degree holders of 22-26 years of age.

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/degrees_not_to_earn.htm?kid=1NUJI

Feb 8, 13 12:20 pm

Believe whatever numbers you like.

Feb 8, 13 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

my theory is that arch grads are more stubborn (in a good way) and hold out for arch jobs a little longer than the average grad.  Passion and ego breed stubborness.  It may also have to do with the personality type that architecture school attracts, (introverts).  The truth is that 50% of all grads do not find work in their area of study. This figure is only looking at unemployment not underemployment.  I am also skepticle of how they measure unemployment among grads when grads are not able to get unemployment benefits.

Feb 8, 13 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
JosephK

good. 

hopefully these articles slow the flow of new graduates so that I can actually get a job !

Feb 8, 13 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

jl-x

So true - and when you go broke, it's amazing how flexible one becomes - When stubborness leads to financial irresponsibility - holding out for the architectural job while not paying off debt, bills and taxes? where does it end? 

Feb 8, 13 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

As it's been said before...I hope these articles persuade students to choose another major. The party is already above capacity. 

Feb 8, 13 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
observant

What is this saying?  It's saying that 6 in 7 architectural graduates find a job and 1 in 7 doesn't.  Do well, and be in the 6 in 7 that does.

It's also saying that 11 in 12 civil engineering graduates find a job and 1 in 12 doesn't.  Clearly, that's better.  But the person who really wants to be an architect really doesn't want to be a (civil) engineer, even if they enjoyed their technological core courses and enjoy integrating building technology into a design.

Feb 8, 13 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
littlebee

observant, you are so not aware of the truth of this industry.

I am so glad that the truth is coming out. And in today's digital world, it will become more and more transparent. All the poor pay, years of stagnation, politics, retraining softwares every 2 years, the looting in the name of AIA and NCARB. Finally, some souls and careers will be saved. I wish I had known better.

Feb 8, 13 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Every two years? try 6 months - I am on Revit 2013.25 and will get 2014 in about 3 weeks and am learning Windows 8. or WinBalmer as I call it.

I love relearning software and learning new programs - trouble is - is that I haven't set aside the time to get proficient on the NCARB 

Feb 8, 13 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I am sure people will start disagreeing with me here, but ours is the profession that has been screwed by over-regulation, which leads to peer pressure. I was recently at an interview for a position handling projects in foreign markets, but they really wanted me to have a US license. Why? because the other candidates  who had little to no experience compared to me had their license.

We are in a situation where we make no money, and have no fun either. Would have been better to be a poet.

Feb 8, 13 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
How did they get a license without experience in USA?

As far as the op ref article goes does anyone know how many offices do housing? It must be quite small percentage.

Almost all education lately gives poor return on investment. It is a worrying trend.
Feb 8, 13 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I meant to say that they had no experience in the foreign markets the interview was for.

I am not sure if all education gives poor ROI - the Science, Engineering and Medical ones, though cumbersome do start paying up rather quickly...

Feb 8, 13 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

As long as kiddies know about Art Vandelay, we'll always have asspiring architects.

Feb 9, 13 12:20 am  · 
 · 
observant

observant, you are so not aware of the truth of this industry.

I am so glad that the truth is coming out. And in today's digital world, it will become more and more transparent. All the poor pay, years of stagnation, politics, retraining softwares every 2 years, the looting in the name of AIA and NCARB. Finally, some souls and careers will be saved. I wish I had known better.

What are you saying?  I was addressing the stats of 14% and 8% for architects and civil engineers, respectively, by roughly translating these figures into "person equivalents."  I'm saying that the person who really wants to be an architect would not enjoy being a civil engineer, or any type of engineer, or, at the very least, will feel unfilled. 

No one is saying the profession is without its troubles.  It has MANY, and I dislike the very bureaucracies you mention.  The AIA has not given me anything other than an appendage to my name, because no one knows what R.A. is, and NCARB runs the IDP program, which I am against.  What we've seen in the last 6 or 7 years is unprecedented in most of our lives.  Prior to that, everything was humming along,  for the most part, politics, risk,  and all.  I personally think software is changing at an accelerated pace without corresponding returns or benefits.  It doesn't change the output, for the most part.  Another thing, it's also a GIGO problem - garbage in, garbage out.  You start with  catty / lone wolf / eccentric / poor collaborators into the funnel, and you're going to have a profession where its participants are constantly infighting and shooting the profession in the foot.  Some stay in.  Others get out.  It all depends on how much one loves the craft.  I've known some who have made drastic career changes out of architecture, and have never looked back.

Feb 9, 13 12:56 am  · 
 · 
Ah I get you sameold. I can understand the difficulty for the hiring staff. they wanted someone like you but with the credentials a license brings. Don't think that is a regulatory issue, though I understand your frustration with the North American system. Would you prefer licensure was not regulated ?
Feb 9, 13 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
RONEL CONSTANTIN
Fuck the bullshit fallow your dreams.
Feb 10, 13 12:32 am  · 
 · 
boy in a well

is that a typo or are you

a SuperTroll?

Feb 10, 13 1:25 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Yes Will, sucks for me though! Actually what we need is a radical rethink of the educational system here, so that the licensure topics could actually be taught in school. A lot of the newer grads from "reputed" schools here could script the hell out of a voronoi tesselation, but do not understand something as simple as lineweights in a section drawing.

Feb 10, 13 3:02 am  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

From Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition, Architects, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/architects.htm 

Employment of architects is projected to grow 24 percent from 2010 to 2020, faster than the average for all occupations.

Current demographic trends will result in a greater need for architects. As campus buildings age, many school districts and universities will build new facilities or renovate existing ones. The population of sunbelt states continues to grow, and residents there will need new places to live and work. As the population continues to live longer and baby boomers retire, there will be a need for more healthcare facilities, nursing homes, and retirement communities.

There should be demand for architects with knowledge of green design, also called sustainable design. Sustainable design emphasizes the efficient use of resources, such as energy and water conservation; waste and pollution reduction; and environmentally friendly design, specifications, and materials. Rising energy costs and increased concern about the environment have led to many new buildings being built green.

During the construction boom, some architecture firms outsourced the drafting of construction documents and basic design for large-scale commercial and residential projects to architecture firms overseas. Recently, however, this trend of outsourcing overseas has slowed considerably.

Job Prospects
With a growing number of students graduating with architectural degrees, applicants will experience competition for jobs. Competition for jobs will be especially strong at the most prestigious architectural firms. Although those who have completed internships will have an advantage, the best job opportunities will be for candidates who can distinguish themselves with their creativity.

Employment of architects is strongly tied to the activity of the construction industry. Therefore, these workers, especially the self-employed, may experience periods of unemployment when the overall level of construction falls.

Feb 10, 13 7:19 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

I stopped taking government statistics seriously a long time ago.

Feb 10, 13 9:25 am  · 
 · 

Lots of growth in India, many projects being outsourced there for production.

Feb 10, 13 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I've never been out of work more than 2 weeks. I suspect part of the reason was the downturn when I graduated (years ago now...) many people my age got out - now people w my experience level are in short supply. You have to remember this is not the first recession nor the last.
Feb 10, 13 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
Snoopy316

Gruen, may I ask what is your age group?

Feb 10, 13 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Mothers don't let your kids grow up to be architects.

Feb 12, 13 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
med.

"Be an Engineer instead of an Architect"

That's when you know that article is a joke.

Feb 14, 13 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

well I was born to be an architect what am I gonna do 

Sep 5, 17 6:34 am  · 
 · 
randomised

stop necroposting perhaps ;)

Sep 5, 17 6:58 am  · 
 · 
sgmardini

lmfao

Sep 5, 17 8:37 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

World class come back!

Sep 5, 17 10:17 am  · 
 · 

Why are you following all my comments?

Sep 5, 17 7:05 am  · 
 · 
randomised

All your comments? Just this one by accident, don't flatter yourself...or do you have multiple accounts to post stupid comments in old threads? Why are you posting in a 4.5 years old thread to begin with? Nothing current that suits your needs? Congrats though on mastering the skill of searching archinect for dead threads and trying to resurrecting them. Also, nobody's born to be an architect.

Sep 5, 17 7:30 am  · 
 · 
randomised

No it's not

Sep 6, 17 1:04 am  · 
 · 
randomised

If those were my pick up lines I'd be hopelessly single. Just a few pointers, I think you're coming on a bit too strong/eager/desperate though. I'd be seriously creeped out by your posts if I were a 'nice looking lass', but that's just me perhaps.

Sep 6, 17 3:53 am  · 
 · 

rude 

Sep 5, 17 7:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No it's not.

Sep 5, 17 8:16 am  · 
 · 
randomised

'direct'

Sep 5, 17 9:21 am  · 
 · 

oh my god. It's literally my first day on architect and I'm getting roasted already! Sorry I don't know the rules about "necroposting". Seriously. I'll think ten times before posting any comment again ever. 

Sep 6, 17 1:22 am  · 
 · 
randomised

That's the spirit Purnia, you'll get the hang of it.

Sep 6, 17 3:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, I don't think this is the way to pick up girls.

Sep 6, 17 8:07 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Well, that's actually how you pick up girls but not how you pick up women though.

Sep 6, 17 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

Thank you RickB. Nice to be here, haha. 

Sep 6, 17 5:51 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It's working, congrats Rick!

Sep 7, 17 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It seems that he moved on to another "career"

Sep 10, 17 4:09 am  · 
 · 

@RickB thanks hope to see you around here :D

Sep 7, 17 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You will.

Sep 7, 17 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: