Archinect
anchor

2013 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

jacobcohen

@Alexander Morley

Thanks for all the info. Good to hear it from someone studying there. I've decided I will no matter what be checking out the open house.

@red_d

I got into the M.arch 3 (7 semesters). I have no background in arch so that's what I was applying to.

Mar 5, 13 7:08 am  · 
 · 
cubicfeet

anyone who applied for the MDesS in critical conservation? have you heard back yet?

Mar 5, 13 7:58 am  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

How about any MArch I - AP?

Mar 5, 13 8:44 am  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

Sorry, or MArch II**

Mar 5, 13 8:49 am  · 
 · 
New ARch

@juventus7

Thanks, yeah, maybe... Who knows :)

I'm waiting for UW Seattle, WUSTL, UPenn....

I've got admitted to UIC, and IIT so far...What about u?

Mar 5, 13 9:13 am  · 
 · 
freebornman

checked gradcafe - looks like a few MDesS emails have gone out...

Mar 5, 13 9:30 am  · 
 · 
ziazia
@newarch

Aldo appli es to UW Seattle, U penn and a Bunch more.

Come on GSD!! Just send those rejection letters, this agony of waiting and being on limbo is killing me!!!
Mar 5, 13 9:54 am  · 
 · 
realestate101

@ CubicFeet

I also applied to mdess- real estate. On grad cafe it seems all ecology, urbanism MDesS heard. I'm hoping we still have a shot. 

Mar 5, 13 11:03 am  · 
 · 
gg_r

Everyone!

Thanks for getting back. Especially, @Alexander Morley.

I know a couple of people that currently attend to, my star shot is Cornell, but WUSTL is definitely among my top choices. Thanks everyone for their insight! I guess now we wait the waiting game. AGAIN.

@Alexander Morley

Do you know what is the likeability of being placed in the 2+ program if you have a solid architecture background?

Or why they have sent out what seems to be a lot of the non-architecture acceptances first?

Godspeed I get admitted, I will definitely attend the Open House.

Mar 5, 13 11:53 am  · 
 · 
gg_r

The torture of this wait.

Mar 5, 13 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
jesusmaldonado

Same, man. I just really want to get into Cornell, UMichigan, Columbia or the GsD but I doubt I will.

Mar 5, 13 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher

Just got my rejection by UCLA and acceptance  from University of Miami. Both were 3-year. Funny how both emails came around the same time. 

Like Rice, UCLA first sent out a batch of acceptances, waited about 4-5 days, and sent out rejections. Harvard will probably do the same. When you call these schools they would tell you they send decisions in waves, but that really is a vague response to abstain from telling you that you're rejected on the phone. 

I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) WUSTL is on par with Rice and UCLA. So getting into WUSTL still keeps my hopes alive for good news from other top schools..

Mar 5, 13 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

red_g, 

I do not know the specifics of how WUSTL determines 2+ vs 3+, but I can tell you that it most certainly has to do with your portfolio, and whether or not they determine you can demonstrate an ability to communicate a strong concept, process, and final work. While there certainly seems to be some weight given based on your undergrad program, I have seen people with BA's, BS's and even BArch's get placed in the 3+ program, and vice versa. I would say if you have a BA in Architecture, you are more likely to get into the 3+, but there are always exceptions.

I had a pre-professional BA from undergrad, I applied to the 2+, and I was admitted to 3+. I wasn't thrilled about it, especially since I got advanced standing at other schools. In the end (debt aside of course), it was an absolutely valuable extra year that made me a more confident, diverse, and skilled designer.

Mar 5, 13 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
observant

What I found is that evasiveness on the phone was generally NOT a good sign, or they are good "poker faces" because they haven't sent out responses and are trying to be fair.  In a few cases, one could tell from the phone.  In one case, I could tell that my going on campus for an informational session knocked me out of one school because I think the chemistry with the graduate admissions guy (not an architect, but a school employee/bureaucrat) was lacking.

Mar 5, 13 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@j.maher
Same here. Just get rejection from UCLA. I totally agree that GSD probably already sent out all the acceptance letter.

Mar 5, 13 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
mtt9999

@leif.estrada: What is your proposal about - or better, which concentration are you applying for - history and theory?

"Can't eat or have a normal conversation without constantly blabbing about how desperate we are to find out what the hell with our schools!"

Yeah. Pretty sure everyone that knows me hates me by now (shhh... jealousy is a bi***). It's ok, I will meet new people at school...

Mar 5, 13 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
mtt9999

First off I have pretty much decided I am going to accept GSD's offer for the MDdesS (History and Theory).  I am going to go to the open-house, specifically to meet some new incoming students in my program, and meet the professors. For those who did get accepted to GSD, is everyone planning on going to the open-house (perhaps with the exception of international students)?? What about the New York party a few days after?? I found cheap one-way flights to Boston, and a one-way out of New York. Thinking I will probably go to both.

Us newbies need to stick together....

Mar 5, 13 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
mtt9999

and yes I did get drunk last night in celebration. Cancelled all my plans and celebrated my accomplishments

Mar 5, 13 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

@mtt9999

Hahaha. Your post cracked me up.

I keep telling myself to expect the worse so if something good happens, it will be miraculous. Let's see if anything new happens today!

Who else applied to Cornell?

Mar 5, 13 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

@mtt9999

WOW Congrats! its really something to celebrate upon. Have a great time!!

Mar 5, 13 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
batman

1. how man M.ARCH I does GSD Accept?

2. Will they notify you if were put on the waitlist?

Mar 5, 13 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
mtt9999

@architintin: thanks. where else did you apply other than McGill?

Mar 5, 13 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@batman

as far as I search on grad-cafe, totally 23 people are accepted in GSD for all programs (M.Arch1, M.Arch 2, MAUD,etc.)

I guess they won't email you when you are in the wait-list and I guess all the offer are already sent out, so the people who didn't get the email notification, we are out.

Mar 5, 13 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

I called the GSD this morning, and they said that they still are sending out notifications and they're not doing it in any particular order. Though I do feel kind of like it's a sign to not be notified now, (disappointed..) I guess if you think about it only 23 people (assuming of course there are more that have not been recorded on gradcafe, and that some of those are duplicates/spam) to ALL programs and the GSD isn't nearly enough.

Last I checked only 8 or 9 people in this form alone had heard back from the MArchI program, and none from MArch II or I AP. So taking that into account, I'd have to assume more are on their way at some point.

From what I understood the GSD has around (give or take) a 15-20% acceptance rate. Fingers crossed although I am personally doubtful, the numbers and the fact that no rejection letters seem to have been sent out aligns with their statements that the admissions will come in 'waves'....

Mar 5, 13 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
leif.estrada

@realestate101

i got my Harvard acceptance yesterday; i spoke on the phone with them, and they will be sent out in multiple waves during the first 2 weeks of March! do not lose hope! i was surprised to have received the MDesS, since out deadline was the last ones... 

anybody heard from Columbia yet?

Mar 5, 13 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
avesl

@Alexander Morley

Thanks for posting some good insights in the Wash U program!

Since you've experienced through your first year of M.Arch, do you know if the first year students have the chance to choose studios with certain critics or there is basically only one critic for the first year studio? I ask because I realize that sometimes the work students produce are greatly influenced by the teaching and practicing style of their critics. :)

Mar 5, 13 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

@leif.estrada I called Columbia as well and they aren't sending anything until around 16th of March!

Mar 5, 13 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
batman

@tinson49

i don't think we should base our conclusions entirely on grad-cafe.  We gotta keep in mind of those who don't know or unwilling to post in grad-cafe. 

but for sure i'm out and it was worth the try. still waiting for UCBerk and MIT (not counting on this one since Im out at Yale and GSD)

Mar 5, 13 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

Who is else waiting to hear from WUSTL?

Mar 5, 13 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@e.m.g.

I guess probably some may come on the road. But since not everyone know this forum and grad-cafe, and even they know these websites, they won't post their information online. So I highly doubt that GSD will send much notification now.

23 is a huge number tho, if it's the case that not everyone will post their information, so I guess the number GSD will enrolls probably comes to limit. I guess if there is another waves of notification, it may comes next Monday, Mar 11.

But according to what Rice and UCLA did, if GSD did it in the same way, we probably will get rejection letter next week.

Mar 5, 13 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

@batman, did they send an email that you're out? What program are you applying to for Berkeley? That's my top choice right now... I wish you the best of luck!! :)

Mar 5, 13 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

Tinson49. I think you're probably right but at least it's worth a try. Of course I assumed and stated that not everyone posts on this fourm or on grad cafe it just seemed like there were SO many more from last year than this year so that's what kind of made that judgement call...

I just wish they'd send it all at once so at least it confirms, you know? :(

Mar 5, 13 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@batman

same situation here. I guess this year, much more competitors apply the M.Arch 1 program. Except the portfolio, I can't find anything competitive than those guys (I only get 3.4 GPA and 153+169 GRE). But according to the information they posted in the grad-cafe, they almost have 3.7+ GPA and 160+160 GRE. So I guess I can only enroll if the admission committee love my portfolio. 

What's worse is that these most of these guys may not only apply GSD, MIT or Yale, they also applied Berkeley, Rice, Columbia,etc.. If we were out for one school, we probably will out for these as well... Unless they enroll much more people or we are in the wait-list

So I am pessimistic right now, since I believe UCLA is not that hard to get into (but I received rejection letter this morning). And I get rejected by Rice as well. (Although I got into U Mich and USC for scholarship, but someone in this forum told me that UMich accept 66% of the applicants....) So I guess I don't have much hope for the rest schools: Cornell, U Penn, Columbia and UC Berkeley.

Hope you good luck!!!!!!

Mar 5, 13 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@e.m.g.

Yes. It's a torture if they just send out acceptance letters. I mean, if they could send out rejection letters, all right, we don't have any hopes. But right now, it seems we still have 1% hopes and we should made ourselves believe that we still have chance. 

I really want to get to GSD, but as what I posted last thread, I guess those guys who get admitted are too eminent. Great GRE, GPA, Portfolio and even background. I just don't have any hopes now. And these guys will probably apply the same school I applied in the rest. And they still will get the advantage.

Mar 5, 13 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

I wouldn't be too down on yourself, to be honest I still think that the numbers don't add up right now. I could be completely wrong but It's just a feeling at this point..

However I feel that you just can never really tell with schools... For example, I got into Berkeley and I got a 1/2 ride at RISD but I was waitlisted at Michigan. Totally unexpected since I thought that was a 'back up school' for me...

So all in all you just really never know. Things work out for a reason though, no matter how hard rejection is..

Mar 5, 13 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@e.m.g.

OK. What let me down actually is I am accepted by UMich (which I think is a very great architecture school, especially for M.Arch1) and I am satisfied. Then, someone told me, well, they accept 66% of the applicants.

I just couldn't believe it. But then I continuously get rejected by UCLA and Rice. So I gradually believe what that guy is saying.

for you, I guess you can receive good offers from big dogs. Probably GSD next week. I guess you will do it!!

Mar 5, 13 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
batman

@e.m.g "@batman, did they send an email that you're out? What program are you applying to for Berkeley? That's my top choice right now... I wish you the best of luck!! :)"

They did not send an email, but I'm almost 90% positive that if we did not receive letters by now, we're out for sure.

I applied for M.ARCH I only, but I am considering a Dual Masters wherever I can get in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@tinson49 

@batman same situation here. I guess this year, much more competitors apply the M.Arch 1 program. Except the portfolio, I can't find anything competitive than those guys (I only get 3.4 GPA and 153+169 GRE). But according to the information they posted in the grad-cafe, they almost have 3.7+ GPA and 160+160 GRE. So I guess I can only enroll if the admission committee love my portfolio.

What's worse is that these most of these guys may not only apply GSD, MIT or Yale, they also applied Berkeley, Rice, Columbia,etc.. If we were out for one school, we probably will out for these as well... Unless they enroll much more people or we are in the wait-list

So I am pessimistic right now, since I believe UCLA is not that hard to get into (but I received rejection letter this morning). And I get rejected by Rice as well. (Although I got into U Mich and USC for scholarship, but someone in this forum told me that UMich accept 66% of the applicants....) So I guess I don't have much hope for the rest schools: Cornell, U Penn, Columbia and UC Berkeley.

Hope you good luck!!!!!!

I wouldn't necessarily think like that. Last year when I applied to several IVY league schools + UC's, I got rejected across the board but got into Columbia. I still have Columbia in my pocket as I speak, but I applied again this year because I wanted more options.  However, after much thought it seems like Columbia is still the best opportunity for me despite USC acceptance +  scholarship.

are you considering USC at all? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mar 5, 13 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

@tinson49.....I don't think 66% is accurate. I visited their campus a year ago and they told me that they accept closer to 45-49% but it really depends on the year of the applicant pool. What I don't know, however is whether or not this is counting people like me who were "waitlisted"...

I don't think that acceptance rates though dictate the quality of a program. I heard at one point that Sci-Arc accepted almost anyone, and that shocked me because I assumed it had to be really difficult program based on things I"d hear from others. (btw idk their acceptance rate for sure..)

Ultimately it's a two way street though. What you're looking for and what they are looking for have to match. I know someone currently at the GSD that had a 2.96 GPA, and someone with a 3.87 that was denied admission. I think things like acceptance rates, GPAs and stats all stress people out but ultimately firms and the success of your work isn't going to depend on the 'brand' you came from or how hard it is to get into wherever you went. It's going to depend on what you make of it.

Michigan is a great school and plenty of people would be VERY excited about any offer there. And it sounds like you still have others you are waiting on so don't lose faith!!

Mar 5, 13 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
korrego

And after days of reading this blog and watching Les Mis and singing along with Fantine: "I dreamed a dream in time gone by..."  yesterday I checked my email and got the acceptance letter from Harvard GSD for MArch I. 

I'm still speechless. That was my top and unrealistic option, yet I got in.

So guys please stay positive. I never lost hope till the end (and I was rejected at YSOA). Good Luck to everyone! Gonna go ahead and post my results in gradcafe. 

Mar 5, 13 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

@Kit.Kat congrats!! That's wonderful news!!

I am just a bit confused since I don't think anyone has reported any acceptances to MArch I AP or MArch II yet...am I wrong?

Mar 5, 13 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
korrego

@e.m.g. Thanks!! Yep I guess you're right. I didn't apply to AP because the rate of acceptance is pretty low. Haven't heard of March II from anyone yet...

Mar 5, 13 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
rafidlf

For any alumni who recollect for those admitted who already received their financial aid package at YSOA: What is a good scholarship amount typically there? 

Mar 5, 13 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@kit.kat

congrats!!!! I guess you should have a party for that!!!!!!! 

Mar 5, 13 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@e.m.g.

yeah, you are right. I guess it's not fully depend on GPA or GRE. But as what I am concerned, probably the acceptance for low GPA/GRE student is a sign for those school to show applicants the faith that everyone has the chance to get in. But after all, the chance is really low!

OK. let's get our fingered crossed to hope our good news!!! 

Best luck!!!!!!!!

Mar 5, 13 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
korrego

@tinson49 Thanks dude!! And to think that I wasn't having too much confidence in myself...

@rafidlf One friend of mine got last year to YSOA and got very little in the financial package. And he had perfect scores and all.

Mar 5, 13 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@batman

USC probably isn't my final place since I guess U Mich is better for architecture education.

But it still good, and locates in LA, not bad choice. I will weigh choices after all results are out. 

Since you already in for Columbia, so I guess it's not a bad situation you have right now, just wish other big dogs can accept us!!!!!!

Bless!!!!

Mar 5, 13 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Folks- congrats on your jobs, but I regret to say- savor the moment- all that money you will be paying for the M.Arch may not pay off immediately!

Mar 5, 13 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

Ok. I guess today we won't get any notification letters.

@e.m.g. @batman

let's wait for another day!!! 

Mar 5, 13 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
batman

@tinson49

@batman

USC probably isn't my final place since I guess U Mich is better for architecture education.

But it still good, and locates in LA, not bad choice. I will weigh choices after all results are out.

Since you already in for Columbia, so I guess it's not a bad situation you have right now, just wish other big dogs can accept us!!!!!!

Bless!!!!

LA is a great city to be. I was here for Undergrad and I'm still here currently. Good weather, good food, lots of things to do. 

Fingers crossed for both of us

Mar 5, 13 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
batman

I have to make a decision ASAP. columbia needs to know my offer by next week so I need these schools to tell me now.

Mar 5, 13 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: