Archinect
anchor

2013 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

rrnkenshin

@New ARch

So they're just contacting the best candidates first, or they're just doing it alphabetically or randomly?

Mar 4, 13 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
New ARch

@ Bwatson

No, I'm talking about Washington U in St. Louis (WUSTL).

I am waiting for UW Seattle as well.

Mar 4, 13 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
New ARch

@rrnkenshin

Don't know. I forgot to ask.

Mar 4, 13 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
clack

Has anyone heard anything from University of Minnesota?  An email from the department in  early Feb. said they expected to announce decisions starting March 1st.  

Mar 4, 13 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

In case this helps you a bit... I checked online the admissions notification dates for the programs (M.Arch I)I am waiting for:

GSD - Early March
U Penn - March 14th - Results available Online
UBC - Middle March
Berkeley - End of March
MIT - April 1
U of Oregon - April 1
Columbia - First week of April
U of Washington -No later than April 15th

Hope it helps. 

I just got an email from I.I.T. with the official offer for admission. They gave me AP plus $24k. 

Good luck everyone!

Mar 4, 13 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
New ARch

@juventus7

Congrats on the scholarship:)

Are you an international student? just wanted to know if they give scholarship to international students.

Mar 4, 13 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

@NewArch

Thanks! Yes I am, I didn't even apply for it so I was very surprised/excited for it. Are you applying to IIT?

Mar 4, 13 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
New ARch

@juventus7

Got admitted to IIT with advance standing. A few days ago they sent me the official letter, but they didn't mention any thing about funding. So I think that I didn't get it.

Mar 4, 13 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

@NewARch

Congrats! Maybe we will meet over there. Where else did you apply?

Mar 4, 13 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
mknutson

Can anyone tell me anything about Northeastern?

Mar 4, 13 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
mtt9999

I think it is the Northeast... but I'm not sure about that, I might go look that up...

Mar 4, 13 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

@rrkenshin

Ugh! I just want to know you know? I want to know if I should be sad or happy. SOMETHING.

It's obsessive to check  your email every 5 minutes. Also! Check your junk email often, current colleagues of mine told me they didn't see their email until later because it got sent there.

@New ARch

That does give me some hope! That they're scattering the results.

Anyone know about Cornell?

Mar 4, 13 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

@jawknow

actually, im muucchhh more into the scientific/engineering aspect of architecture than the artistic one... because it provides an irrefutable, robust, raison d'etre... so im aware of the passive design strategies and technological innovations that SOMETIMES come into place.. but the prob is that MOST of the times design is carried out in such an arbitrary, subjective way that it is left to the artistic opinion of the designer.  It starts with the program organized into extruded boxes, and a subsequent "dressing up" of these boxes...  the goal seems to be the nice composition of beautiful boxes, and the architecture ends up looking "nice"..  but not much else, so boring seems an appropriate description.  It is this design method aimed towards achieving an elegant, muted demure mainly thru the reliance of artistic instinct that i find very old school. Most of the works here are so derivative and safe that it is rarely intellectually engaging or aiming to do anything new.  Its just business as usual... hence boring.

Mar 4, 13 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

THUMBS UP IF YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO BE AN ARCHITECT AND ARE A B.ARCH OR M.ARCH II!

Mar 4, 13 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
ciennac

Just got ACCEPTED TO MARCH 1 AT GSD via email!!!!!

I'm not trolling, I've been refreshing my email every five minute.

Looks like no one else got it yet, but let's see if we hear more good news from GSD!

This was my third try at GSD, so I feel very emotional right now.

I wish you all the best with the 2013 acceptances. Never give up. I didn't. If GSD didn't accept me this time, I was to literally never reapply due to their policy.

Mar 4, 13 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
blyang

Just got accepted to GSD! I'm shaking from excitement!! Check your email guys!

Congratulations @ ciennac!! Third time's the charm!! I'm glad your hard work paid off.

Mar 4, 13 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
caryatid

So far (M.Arch. I):

In: Harvard GSD, YSOA, Taubman.

Waiting: MIT, PennDesign

Pretty excited to look through these programs again, congratulations to everyone who just got accepted into Harvard :)

Mar 4, 13 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
haptic-urbanism

accepted to GSD! Unbelievable and such a relief after waiting for so long.

Mar 4, 13 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
clack

For people who are sharing their results - it would be helpful to hear anything about your background that you are willing to share:

Undergrad degree

GPA

GRE scores

Experience

etc.

Mar 4, 13 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
observant

THUMBS UP IF YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO BE AN ARCHITECT AND ARE A B.ARCH OR M.ARCH II!

That's right.  You're the guy who thinks M.Arch 3s (or M.Arch 1s at the Ivys) are strange birds.

OTOH, kudos to all of you with the balls to undertake the 3+ M.Archs. if you a) either wanted to be an architect earlier in your life, or b) your studies in civ. eng., const. mgt., interior design, or WHATEVER steered you toward architecture and you are taking that route.

Mar 4, 13 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

Congrats to all the GSD acceptances, guys! Impressive! So excited for everyone achieving their goals!

to the WUSTL acceptances, what program did you get placed in? 3, 2+, 2?

Mar 4, 13 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
ACAN

Big Congs to all the GSD acceptances, are you all M.arch 1?

Mar 4, 13 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia
Contrats to those accepted to GSD!! Do you know if they send all the notices at once? I haven't gotten any yet :(
Mar 4, 13 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

So is it safe to assume that not having an email from the GSD means a no?... Were there any for MArch II? Congrats to everyone on their acceptances to Harvard!

Mar 4, 13 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

yes... has anyone been accepted to MArch II or MArch 1 AP? I hope they haven't gotten to those yet.

Mar 4, 13 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

im waiting on M. arch II too

Mar 4, 13 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Has anybody who has been accepted to UMich planning on going?

Mar 4, 13 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
enmod

i think they sent out all the acceptance email first and waitlisting or others later

Mar 4, 13 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
leif.estrada

Any MDesS letters yet?

Mar 4, 13 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
jesusmaldonado

got into u of h! no email from gsd so i guess i'm out

Mar 4, 13 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
realestate101

Hey guys- Congrats!  Lelf.estrada- I am also waiting on MDesS. What program did you apply to? I applied to the real estate program. 

Mar 4, 13 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
batman

i guess no email by now from GSD means we're out?

Mar 4, 13 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Kamu Kakizaki

got call from U.VA! 

Mar 4, 13 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
deals on wheels

bummer. no email yet either. this limbo is slowly sapping my life-force (even though it's not looking good...)

Mar 4, 13 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

What program did the Wash U acceptances get into?!?!

Mar 4, 13 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia
I just called Harvard, the person there told me they are sending notices as they go. They have not sent all of them at once and we should expect the notices in te next two weeks. Good luck!

617.495.5453 - In case you want to check.
Mar 4, 13 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
tylerhopf
We're they able to tell you your status when you called?
Mar 4, 13 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
fdnshvrn

anything from Princeton SOA ?

Mar 4, 13 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia
@tylerhopf they said they cant tell you by phone and we should wait fr an email.
Mar 4, 13 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
realestate101

S$%#& im bugging out.....

Mar 4, 13 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
deals on wheels

Lets not all call the number and get their bees in a bonnet

Mar 4, 13 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
deals on wheels

Also, two weeks???!? I'll never live that long

Mar 4, 13 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
realestate101

Why do they do this? Reject people first then give acceptances out later.. makes everyone crazy!

Mar 4, 13 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
twix

hey congrats to those accepted so far! 

just heard from gsd 

mdes and maud for 2013

still waiting for MIT and Columbia. 

Mar 4, 13 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
realestate101

Twix ^ You got into mdess and maud- both programs? Congrats. What mdess concentration  did you get in for? 

Mar 4, 13 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
blyang

@Clack 

I'll copy and paste from the applicants thread a while back.

22/male/Asian American

Brown University

BA History of Art and Architecture, Architectural Studies track
Graduated 2012

GPA: 3.76

Summer Internships with SOHO China and PJAR Architects Shanghai

Did Intro to Arch.@ GSAPP and currently in NY/P @ GSAPP

Applying to:
GSAPP
Yale
GSD

Portfolio: 

http://issuu.com/avaninecommuter/docs/portfolio-final-print

Recommendations: 2 professors, 1 employer.

GREs: 

V:165 Q:161 AW:4.5

Statement of intent:  A risky SOI about Roller Coaster Tycoon and how the restrictive interface sparked creative thinking and solution finding in my work. 

IN: GSD

OUT: YSOA

TBA: GSAPP

Best of luck to those still awaiting their decisions!

Mar 4, 13 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
twix

@realestate 101

thanks! yes, i got into both programs. mdes concentration in risk and resilience.

fingers crossed for everyone! 

Mar 4, 13 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Seaway

In:

GSD MLA 1-ap

Rice March2

out:

Yale

Mar 4, 13 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Why do they do this? Reject people first then give acceptances out later.. makes everyone crazy!

I once spoke to the graduate architecture admissions office at a popular school with about a 1 in 8 acceptance ratio.  They know right away from the pile who they want and who do they don't want.  They wait a little bit, in layers, to see which of those they want will accept their offer.  They then work out the wait listed group, if at all.  Sometimes, the yield ratio is higher than they want, targeting about 25 to 35 spots, and they don't like it when they get a larger class than they had anticipated ... even by 5 or 10 people.

Mar 4, 13 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
mtt9999

Im in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Harvard for making my night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 4, 13 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: