Archinect
anchor

2013 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

helenakeys

@yyymmm

I have the exact same concerns about Yale being "old school"... and i am too waiting for all acceptances before weighing in on a decision.  But as tinson mentioned, it is in the same caliber as harvard, mit, princeton, etc.  So im perfectly happy to go to Yale, although i would like to live in a more fast-paced city.  If it eases ur concerns, my best friend rejected harvard/yale/mit for columbia and after 3 yrs in their prog she says it matters very little where u go since they are all on the same level.  It only matters what specific research u do during ur MArch and the networking you make... since all events/firms are in NYC its much easier to get a foot in at a NY area school. Harvard grads are always trying to work at NYC firms anyway. 

The pedagogy of each school varies very little since ull get out of ur education watever u want to get out of it.  Yale and Harvard are both pluralistic in approach and dont endorse a particular style... ull be fine at either one.  Altho some schools do endorse a specific pedagogy like Columbia and SCI-Arch, more digital/parametric design (a turn off for me...)

At the end of the day, the right university will have chosen you too.  

Mar 2, 13 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

yale's pedagogy can be summarized as:

focus on the 'building'
focus on design rigor

in other words, they will focus you on the concept and design of your project's building. this is important to them. yale is not the school to go to if you want to focus in technology or urbanism. i think that yale's strength is that you come out more skilled as an architect and designer. when people go to MIT or GSAPP, for instance, you may come out very -skilled-, but oftentimes the sensitivity and eye of those graduates is not really that great. 

if i go to yale i hope to hone my design ability and understanding of the building / aka 'real architecture'. i don't want to screw around in grasshopper and fabricate sculptural installations, and i wouldn't want to do really bizarre, abstract art-projects.

if you look around at yale's prominent alumni you can see commonalities in their work. it's not crazy, its not wild or trying too hard... its generally more mature (and oftentimes beautiful). a gross oversimplification which i will venture now: if you love williams & tsien, yale is your place.

anyways thats my two cents, which i've gleaned from LOTS of archinecting and talking to many graduates of Yale's program.

Mar 2, 13 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
observant

The pedagogy of each school varies very little since ull get out of ur education watever u want to get out of it.  Yale and Harvard are both pluralistic in approach and dont endorse a particular style... ull be fine at either one.  Altho some schools do endorse a specific pedagogy like Columbia and SCI-Arch, more digital/parametric design (a turn off for me...)

What is the pedagogy at UMich, at which a good number of you have reported acceptance, and at UVa?  I would expect pluralistic at UMich (and at any of the big Midwestern schools), which could be considered "old school," and UVa to be somewhat overly tied to historical context and theory?

Mar 2, 13 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
avesl

@observant

I would like to know about the pedagogy at UMich as well :) 

Mar 2, 13 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
jacobcohen

Anyone know much about Wash U I. St. Louis's master of architecture?

Don't know much about the program besides why I've read on the website. Any info welcome, including job prospects after graduating. How well known is the school?

Mar 2, 13 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
observant

@ avesl:

Well, I think they have the best of the 3+ year curricula.  The UMich link is below.  They use the summer before.  They were on a 7 semester set-up, with a Dec. finish, when I was shopping, which I wasn't crazy about.  I wanted to finish in the summer.

http://taubmancollege.umich.edu/images/sample_syllabus/sample_syllabus_arch_3_year_large.jpg

They call some subject area required optional courses "selectives."  On the building fundamentals sequence, one could add a course in programming.  On the structures sequence, one could/should add steel and concrete.  On the history sequence, one could add 2 histories (Ren and Modern) or 1 history + 1 theory.  On the systems sequence, one needs to add an additional course.  It is put together well.  That's probably why it has climbed in the rankings.  Not only that, it's one of the best public universities in the States.

Still, I don't know their overall philosophy.  If someone could weigh in ...

Mar 2, 13 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
tomahawks619

Regarding people wondering about U Mich .... if you guys are again'st parametric ... well Michigan is one of the schools in Midwest who is is pioneering in parametric and fabrications. 

Now don't take it the wrong way just cause its parametric doesn't mean you don't learn how to create real buildings (which seems to be the belief among everybody who doesn't know how to use the programs), the school has some of the best facilities in honing  on (if you can dream it we have the tools to build it.)

Look some of the blogs on the website by the students from UMICH to get a better understanding.

Sci Arc, Columbia and UMich are in that same boat of design driven by technology.

Hope it helps who ever is considering umich , I would say go for it 

Mar 2, 13 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Then it has changed a LOT.  The layout of the curriculum can be made to look traditional, though.  This vehicle must show up in the design studios ... and in some of those fabrication optional courses.

Mar 2, 13 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

Do anyone think UMich MArch1 is easy to get in?
I get rejected by RICE and probably UCLA with the same material.

Mar 2, 13 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
tomahawks619

@tinson49 where else have you applied, and I highly doubt michigan is an easy school to get in

@observant Yes a lot of the schools don't update their curriculum cause they are teaching the same thing just in a different manner. Based on student work and the faculty you can usually  weed out what they are leaning towards. Your best bet would be going to the open house

Mar 2, 13 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@tomahawks619

Well. I just randomly say that sentence. I know it is a good school.I just a little pessimistic right now. Since I get rejected by UCLA, which I think it is my back-up school(not receive rejection yet, but I guess I am rejected). But I accepted by UMich, which I think it is a better architecture school than UCLA AUD.
And get rejected by Rice as well, so I really doubt whether I can accepedt by the big dogs in the following weeks.

Mar 2, 13 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
New ARch

Hey guys.
What about UW Seattle. Is it hard to get in?

What do you think of the school?

Got rejected from Rice and Austin. Got accepted to IIT with an advance standing.

can't afford the tuition of IIT, although like it more than Rice and Austin. Now I 'm 90 percent sure, if I get admitted to UW, I 'll be in Seattle. really like the city.

Unfortunately, have heard that UW don't accepts international students in general. Don't know about the architecture department. Should I wait for a rejection?

Mar 3, 13 3:36 am  · 
 · 
jll3

UMich is quite easy to get into for MArch1 simply because they accept a much higher number of students than actually end up enrolling. Last I checked their acceptance rate for MArch1 was roughly 68% 2 years ago. I had a business background and was accepted last year, but their tuition is ridiculous, which is probably why many people decide not to go, despite getting accepted. 

Mar 3, 13 4:00 am  · 
 · 
mvda

@Ann_L

Found out about UCLA M Arch II acceptance on March 1st, through e-mail with an attached 'unofficial' PDF.

Mar 3, 13 4:00 am  · 
 · 
LLJKedge

@tinson49:

I wouldn't place so much emphasis on the GPA.  There are a lot of other categories and factors that will take part in the admission process.  I must admit though, that you probably have a better chance of admission than I, because I am applying with an arch undergrad (I did a lot of eng stuff in my last year of school), but I am still hopeful.  

We'll see, I suppose. 

Mar 3, 13 4:11 am  · 
 · 
Ann_L

@mvda

Havent heard from them as yet, not sure if that means bad news! Which studio did you apply/get accepted to?

Mar 3, 13 7:15 am  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

Rejected from Rice yesterday.

As somebody mentioned acceptance letters from WUSTL already, while I still have not got it , probably one more no from Saint-Louis for me.

So far:

In:

USC (M.Arch 2+ with 18k)

IIT (M.Arch AP with no $)

UIC (M.Arch AP, still waiting for $)

Out:

Rice (M.Arch AP)

Waiting:

WUSTL (star shot)

Syracuse (moon shot)

Berkeley (sun shot)

Mar 3, 13 8:08 am  · 
 · 
melivola

Hey All,

Applying for M. Arch I (BFA in animation)

I am now completing a year course at GSAPP for the NY/Paris program.

I got into UMich a bit ago with a decent merit scholarship. Waiting on financial aid to see if I get any more money. Very excited because I wasn't expecting to received any award.

Rejected from Yale - came a few days after my acceptance from above, so wasn't really stunned by it. I knew it was a reach school so I was prepared.

Still waiting on GSAPP, and UT Austin.

Best!

Mar 3, 13 9:00 am  · 
 · 
New ARch

@ rrnkenshin

Your choices are so similar to mine. Don't think WUSTL send out the letters on SATURDAY.

I am waiting for WUSTL and UW ( Seattle).

With rejections from Rice and AUSTIN, I am losing my hope for UW:(

Mar 3, 13 9:09 am  · 
 · 
eternalized

@New ARch

actually, WUSTL did send out emails on saturday (yesterday), if you read the posts on here. I got my letter to my first school on a sunday (last week). 

I too also applied to WUSTL and didnt get the email yesterday, so I'm thinking...a) they're still emailing or b) I didnt get in. I think its the latterrr but we shall see

Mar 3, 13 9:27 am  · 
 · 
kelena

I think all the schools are trickling out acceptances, and some are working on the weekends. I had received a call from RISD last Sunday, and an email from WUSTL yesterday. I would give each school a few days to reach out to all applicants (even though it is torturous).

In: RISD (call with letter to follow), VT (letter/online status check), UMich (email), WUSTL (email with letter to follow)

Waitlisted: U of T-Austin

Out- Yale

Waiting on a bunch more still...

Good luck everyone!!!

Mar 3, 13 9:42 am  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

@New ARch

Keep your faith! Admission chance at Rice and Austin is higher than to UW, right?

Schools said in their mails that the number of applicants is much higher this year, is this because of the global economy recession?

Mar 3, 13 10:37 am  · 
 · 
observant

Hey guys.
What about UW Seattle. Is it hard to get in?

What do you think of the school?

Where do I start?  If you didn't get into UT-Austin, I doubt you'll get into UW.  It is way too popular.  It has a better curriculum than Berkeley or UCLA, but their faculty is also divided between realists and dreamers, and is really the only public school on the Pacific Coast that isn't that loose. It's on quarters, which suck.  It is not better than UT-Austin or UMich, just harder to get into.

Mar 3, 13 10:42 am  · 
 · 
observant

UMich is quite easy to get into for MArch1 simply because they accept a much higher number of students than actually end up enrolling. Last I checked their acceptance rate for MArch1 was roughly 68% 2 years ago. I had a business background and was accepted last year, but their tuition is ridiculous, which is probably why many people decide not to go, despite getting accepted.

You're onto something.  First, I have an affinity for the school because they have they are the highest ranked combination of M.Arch/MBA, the latter of which is moot.  However, what it does say is that they won't be saying "Eew" to the previous business or economics major.  Their acceptance rate is high because their yield rate is low.  Not only is their tuition high, they will not reclass self-supporting adult out-of-state students the next year into resident status because their criteria to establish residency is stringent, knowing the state of Michigan is not a destination for relocation.  It's a better school than Berkeley, UCLA, UW, and Texas for a first M.Arch., yet location and price change the admissions picture.  Where did you wind up going?

Mar 3, 13 10:51 am  · 
 · 
jacobcohen

@Observant

What are your thoughts on Wustl. So far my only acceptance but waiting on many others. This will be my first arch degree, did a BA at mcgill in geog and art history prior. GSD and Toronto are my top choices but also very interested in Penn and Cornell. Not sure what to think about Wustl.

Mar 3, 13 11:01 am  · 
 · 
observant

@jacob:

I only chime in on this stuff because, when I did M.Arch., I applied to 8 and got information on about 15 or more, remember the aggravation like it was yesterday, and have watched their curricula change via the internet.  WU StL is a well-respected private school, mostly known for the health fields actually, and its reputation probably carries over into architecture.  I'd go with Toronto if you get in.  Toronto will instantly recognize McGill and hopefully give it the weight it deserves; better "laboratory" than St. Louis, too.  All of the U.S. Midwest schools tend to have higher acceptance rates, so if you have to go to WU StL, then that's a choice you'll have to make ... In general, my mantra is that you're going to have a design studio every term, then there is no dilution by including 2 construction courses, 2 environ. tech. courses, and 3 structures courses in the curriculum. I can't see how, over 3 to 3.5 years, that would be so hard.

Mar 3, 13 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Seaway

Hey guys.

anyone have news about Notre Dame ?

btw I got into Rice March 2 (option3)

anyone know about the program?

how many students are in the program each year?

Mar 3, 13 11:42 am  · 
 · 
mvda
@Ann_L

Hang in there! I actually applied to all three studios. Got accepted into Greg Lynn's but no mention of Gehry or Mayne.
Mar 3, 13 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
haptic-urbanism

Any GSAPP Intro to Architecture alums here? 

Mar 3, 13 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
yyymmm

@tinson: thank you!! I'm sure you'll have great offers!

@helenakeys: I too am little bit concerned about the location...New Haven is in the middle of no where, but it is not too bad since it is about 2 hour's ride to NYC/Boston. In terms of networking, I guess both schools have really good pool of alumini and the ivys have good connections with each other as well. I agree that what really matters is how you take advantage of the resources and connections. Have you thought about working outside the country? I am guessing GSD probably has better connections internationally, and I know several students who went there and got jobs in China after they graduate. Since I am an international student, I should take that into consideration then.

And yes, I believe it is a mutual selection process, and the school will choose those who suit their culture the best. So I wouldn't complain if GSD does not want me haha. But let's keep fingers crossed :)

@ jk3hl

Thank you for your information. I do think that Yale pays more attention to Architecture/building itself which seems a little bit old school to a lot of people. As I browse through their website, they do seem to care more about the designing process of the building, and their student work are more mature as you said.

"Architectural design problems start at limited scale and by the spring term of first year progress to an investigation of dwelling. During the spring term of first year and until mid-June, a community building project is undertaken, which provides an opportunity for the design of an affordable house as well as the experience of carrying the design through the building process when the class builds a final design. The fall term of second year undertakes the design of a public building, and the spring term of second year is devoted to urbanism. During the fall and spring terms of third year, students, through a lottery system, are at liberty to choose from a variety of advanced design studios, many of which are led by the profession’s leading practitioners and theoreticians. With faculty approval, students in their final term may undertake an independent design thesis (1199b) in lieu of an advanced studio. "I

I think this is very important to me, and the only thing, if not many, I would like to get out from my MArch training is to become a good designer. I know it is vague and I'm sure all of these school teach you how to become one, but I would rather stay true and modest and focus on the buildings and hand-draw through the three entire years rather than using computers (Geez..how old school I am?). Maybe Yale is better for me? What do you think about GSD then? I liked GSD because the legendary reputation and the fact that it is more on the edge of trends and stuff, but I really have little information about what it is like to be in GSD...

Mar 3, 13 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Dima Srouji

@helenakeys and @yyymmm I wouldn't worry about the location too much. New Haven exceeds your expectations. I've lived here since August and I spend my weekends in New York, Boston and Providence. We've got great restaurants and really nice bars! Also, the architecture school is the most beautiful I've ever seen! I'm a big fan of Paul Rudolph. It's also really easy to get around New Haven, there's a free shuttle for all students that you can call 24/7 to pick you up and drop you off at home if you happen to have a late night in studio.

@jk3hl I agree, if you like Williams and Tsien or Organschi you would really enjoy Yale. However, they have people like Tom Wiscombe teaching, so you can experience "wild" architecture if you wish. 

@yyymmm I didn't even consider applying to GSD. I might be wrong, but graduates seem to be producing very similar work... becoming products of the school. Yale gives the student more freedom to follow his or her interest. GSD is definitely the "diagram" school and I'm not so into that. 

Mar 3, 13 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

i guess in architecture no one likes to think of themselves as "conservative"... altho thats misleading. im conservative in the sense that i HATE BS architecture... which is usually bombastic in shape, based on some shallow manipulation of information data  (eye candy diagrams) that does not really solve or respond to anything, becoming completely self-serving. Parametricism is cool, neat, and interesting, but its not architecture, its a tool.  What I find more often are lots of students just seeking crazy shapes and geometry because it stands out, like a derivative, obvious, cheap and easy way of exciting ur senses (visually) and proclaiming their uniqueness... It is never beautiful, and will never make ur heart beat faster... it just looks "cool" (and kinda ugly). Good architecture is an acquired taste and it takes time.. in that sense Yale is def more "mature"

Im not advocating for an architecture of "nice boxes" either....I find that in Canada 95% of the works considered good are just boring, nice, boxy extrusions designed on the guttural artistic intuition of the master architect. This is what i see as true conservatism... without a robust, logical, rigorous methodology, its just a race to be the same.

@yyymmm

Actually Ive never thought about staying in the states in the long run, I definitely want to work abroad.  Im currently working in Canada, but im a citizen of somewhere else (intl student too).  I also think columbia is better than harvard in terms of international experience, with all the initiatives they have for cutting edge collaborative efforts (such as Studio-X).  But I really dont like their cramped studio space and general gloomy/dirty atmosphere... its too stressful and depressing...

well....the week of March 4-8 starts tmr... EVERYBODY BRACE URSELVES!!!

Mar 4, 13 12:10 am  · 
 · 
Jono Lee
@helenakeys

Have you ever considered the technology that might have been considered to extreme detail to what you call, "boring, boxy extrusions"?

You may think it's boring by just looking at them from face value(which I suppose, i can't really argue with). But if you choose to learn about what measures were taken to ensure that the building is green, and how it's particular ordering of geometry was necessary to help realize that, you may find that those "boring, boxy extrusions" to be a lot more interesting beyond face value.

Simple does not have to boring. Simple can be very sophisticated and complex. And maybe those buildings you saw really had a little more than what was in front of you.

But that "race to be the same" is true. At least in Vancouver, the Greenest city by 2020 initiative is a common goal many architects have bought into, to be LEED gold.
Mar 4, 13 12:51 am  · 
 · 
jll3

@observant

I ended up going to Wustl, with the scholarship they were the cheapest of the schools I got into. The first year was front loaded like crazy, most people struggled through it, but we all survived. The work ethic at this school is pretty crazy, some really good work though.

Mar 4, 13 3:03 am  · 
 · 
ziazia
Just got admitted to GSD, M.Arch (2 years). Financial packages next week. I got an unofficial email!!!

NOT... Just Kidding... Haha.

I just wanted to wish good luck to everyone this week!!
Mar 4, 13 8:56 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

dammit, juventus!

Mar 4, 13 9:30 am  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

Does anybody know when Syracuse send out their letters?

Mar 4, 13 9:44 am  · 
 · 
ChineseMarco

Wowwwww. Man. So many people with these rumors, jokes....don't even know what's for real anymore.

Mar 4, 13 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Bwatson

Man I should have applied to Yale, seems like they have "mature work" , and early acceptances , hahaha

Mar 4, 13 10:07 am  · 
 · 
jacobcohen

@Bwatson

ahaha I feel the same way!

Mar 4, 13 10:13 am  · 
 · 
cubicfeet

Did anyone here apply for the SMArchS?

Mar 4, 13 10:19 am  · 
 · 
mtt9999

Anyone here apply my the MDesS degree @ Harvard? I was looking at GradCafe and those accepted to that program last year received their acceptance letters beginning March 6th VIA THE POSTAL SERVICE. Keep your eyes out - and don't forget, always tip your postman...

@architintin: Did you apply for the MArch program at McGill - which concentration? I don't want to crush your hopes, but decisions for McGill are due on March 15th - thus I imagine that those who got in have been notified. But it's never over until the rejection letter so keep your head up, they may just be filling in the final spots now.

Found some statistics online, McGill's MArch is the hardest program in Canada to be accepted to, only 17% of applicants get accepted - so don't be too discouraged. I had a conversation with Alberto Perez-Gomez on the phone Friday, he said that they can't offer financial aid except for the PhD. Yup. Name Dropper.

For the men on the message board, also note that McGill has the highest female to male ratio out of all universities in North America @ 62%-38%!!!

Mar 4, 13 10:21 am  · 
 · 
mtt9999

"Did anyone here apply for the SMArchS?"

Its funny actually, before the applications were due, I sent an email to the director of the History and Theory concentration in the SMArchS - my proposal was to research 20th century cosmology to ascertain ancient cosmological archeypes (ya know... the whole history & theory thing). They wrote me a very short and abrupt email that I would not be a good fit at MIT... in the History and Theory Concentration... uh?? huh?? my research interest screams history and theory. huh? Turns out they hate Martin Heidegger there, and I mentioned him as a possible source of information... I have heard from a very reliable source that a huge rift exists regarding Heidegger, hate or love him depending upon the school.

I guess I should have been like most of their students and studied urbanism or technology, because it is the savior of architecture and our world!! Parametric Design is awesome!!!! (sarcasm)...

Mar 4, 13 11:17 am  · 
 · 
mtt9999

Ok. Seriously. I am tired of waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 4, 13 11:17 am  · 
 · 
ziazia

I still want to understand what seems to constitute "Mature" work. 

@helenakeys 

" guess in architecture no one likes to think of themselves as "conservative"... altho thats misleading. im conservative in the sense that i HATE BS architecture... which is usually bombastic in shape, based on some shallow manipulation of information data  (eye candy diagrams) that does not really solve or respond to anything, becoming completely self-serving. Parametricism is cool, neat, and interesting, but its not architecture, its a tool.  What I find more often are lots of students just seeking crazy shapes and geometry because it stands out, like a derivative, obvious, cheap and easy way of exciting ur senses (visually) and proclaiming their uniqueness... It is never beautiful, and will never make ur heart beat faster... it just looks "cool" (and kinda ugly). Good architecture is an acquired taste and it takes time.. in that sense Yale is def more "mature""

I think your argument is a little hollow when you understand that architecture and design also play big roles in sociological areas of humans. I, for a long time believed that architecture should always be purely functional, austere, modern, simple, "mature" or whatever you want to call that. Architecture is a luxury (we can argue about this for a long time, but I believe so).  I think that architecture, apart from all the functional needs it has to fulfil, also is a demonstration and celebration of identity and status... culture. We are always in the search for a new identity, to differentiate ourselves, of a new way of showing ourselves to the rest of the world. Wether to attract others, to demonstrate power and status, or many other reasons. Just like in nature, you see cases "peacocking" everywhere. In flowers, in animals, in so many ways. We are no exception to this.

In a way, parametric architecture and that "BS Architecture" that you are talking about have nothing wrong, they are just playing that game and I thinks it is valuable that many seeks to find new forms of expression instead of staying in the past. (As long as excellence is always regarded in functional needs and the impact on the environment). 

Mar 4, 13 11:33 am  · 
 · 
gg_r

Haven't heard anything back from  Wash U. Are these bad news?

I AM GOING CRAZY.

Also, anyone know about Cornell, Pratt or Syracuse? When will they release?

Mar 4, 13 11:41 am  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

@mtt9999

me too man, though my choices are much "easier" than yours.

Sometimes I don't know what the hell I am waiting for anymore...

Mar 4, 13 11:44 am  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

@gar_e

I'm dying waiting desperately for WashU too man. There are already people receiving their good news. But it seems that it's just for the 3year option only, I hope so.... hope so hope so...

For Syracuse, it's still that scary silence.

Mar 4, 13 11:48 am  · 
 · 
New ARch

@ eternalized

Yeah, it seems they did.

@ rrnkenshin

Thanks for giving me hope.

@observant 

Thank you for your info:)

@gar_e

WashU said, they are too many applicants, and they can't contact all of them at the same time. They'll let us know within a few days!

Waiting is like a torture, especially when you have a limited budget:(

You don't know where you will be in the following year.

Mar 4, 13 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Bwatson

@ new arch

are you talking about UW Seattle releasing results in a few days.

I applied there and according to last years thread, people posted acceptances around march 11

Mar 4, 13 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: