Archinect
anchor

2013 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

observant

@observant

2 year ,Master of Architecture, Path 2 degree program

Bachelor of Science in Architecture at The University of Texas at Arlington.

Congratulations!  Your portfolio must be impressive.  When I went through this, no UVa 3 for me.  Thin letter, baby!  I had a "most wanted" school and a "dream" school, which was UVa.

Mar 7, 13 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
lopes0421

Bachelor of Science in Architecture at The University of Texas at Arlington.

GPA: 3.21

Portfolio:  http://issuu.com/lopes0421/docs/ml_final_port_issuu

Mar 7, 13 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
weissleim

hey guys, does anyone know the class size of M.Arch I at GSD? and studio size?

Mar 7, 13 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Lopes:

Nicely assembled and tasteful throughout.  Especially like the library and the community center.  You also show you are a talented artist through your graphics after the arch. projects.  Well deserved.

Mar 7, 13 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
lopes0421

Thanks!

Mar 7, 13 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

@lopes0421

how did you find out about UVA?

Mar 7, 13 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
lopes0421

I just happened to check my "grad page" and my decision letter was posted.

Mar 7, 13 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
observant

lopes:

Times have changed ... and quickly.  Is your architectural portfolio done exclusively through computer graphics?  There is a concurrent thread on portfolio review, where the student is seeking input, and that seems to be the case. 

Folks, when did hand graphics go away?  I'm thinking mid 90s?

Mar 7, 13 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

anybody got the letter from GSD yet? they said a few days, wonder how long...

Mar 7, 13 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
tomahawks619

@anyone

Anyone hear applied to Sci Arc seems like this year no body is even bringing them up

Mar 7, 13 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

@Leif Estrada

I think, instead of posting the statistics of applicants here, we should do it by starting this year's traditional thread "201x M.Arch applicant Final results....". It's easier for future applicants to collect the info. Maybe the best time to do it is the end of next week, when most people already received answers from their schools.

By the way, I got the rejection mail from WUSTL yesterday.

Mar 7, 13 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

No word from Pratt or WUSTL...where you guys at?!

Mar 7, 13 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
thinkgreen

@Tanuja

Still no word. So anxious. Where do you think you might go? Syracuse is looking like my plan for now. Although I did apply to Pratt and WUSTL as well. Pratt is extreeeeemly $$$, so for me to consider that ALONGSIDE living in Brooklyn for an arm and a leg....the aid needs to be pretty helpful. 

Mar 7, 13 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@thinkgreen

Unless I get into UPenn or something, it's Syracuse for me. I haven't heard anything about financial aid or advanced standing though. And you're right about Pratt- expensive school and in an expensive city! Let's see what happens...

Mar 7, 13 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
ibp_2305

To those of you who applied to the GSD and got accepted, I was wondering how you prepared for applying. It has been a goal of mine to  get into the GSD M-ARCH program and I hope to apply this fall. If you have any advise I would greatly appreciate it.

Mar 8, 13 12:19 am  · 
 · 
lopes0421

@observant

Yes. Mostly computer graphics. 

Mar 8, 13 12:45 am  · 
 · 
Ericryanbarr

Happy to announce that i've been accepted to the M.Arch Path 2 (2-year) at UVA! The decision letter was on the web application, but no (e)mail yet.

In: UVA

Out: UCLA

Waiting: GSAPP, GSD, Princeton

Something I want to throw out there: I'm 23, have a BS Arch (4yr) from a public school, and I'm working full-time for a large, well-known firm as an arch. designer. Two of my project teammates went to Yale for their Masters, and they're doing the exact same tasks that I'm doing on a daily basis. The education, personal growth, industry focusing, and networking opportunities that result from graduate school will be totally amazing and worth it. I personally can't wait! But, please know there are so many Ivy league grads out there with 100k+ in debt doing many of the same jobs that graduates from UKentucky or Ball State (who have zero debt) are doing alongside them. I know a few students who pay $1000/mo in student loans (and will for 12 years), and that's a scary thing in our industry. So, for those who are trying to weigh decisions and awesome opportunities, definitely keep this kind of thing in mind, otherwise get those scholarships and TAs and have an awesome time in grad school! Good luck guys!

Best wishes,

Mar 8, 13 1:51 am  · 
 · 
New ARch

Anyone knows about WUSTL scholarships?

How many students will get financial aid? How hard is it to get half tuition waiver?

Mar 8, 13 5:55 am  · 
 · 
cubicfeet

Just got my GSD packet via FedEx - apparently I'm "admissible" for the MDesS in Critical Conservation, but since I'd listed the MUP as my first choice (mostly because I didn't think I'd get into the MDesS programme) I've been waitlisted unless I'd like to do a double degree. So technically I'm in for both the MDesS and MUP - woo!

Mar 8, 13 6:05 am  · 
 · 
spudsrfr123

@tomahawks619

I received a phone call from the Chair last week and was told I was accepted (M.Arch I, non-arch background). I'm waiting for more details via post. I'm sure more news will be coming out soon for all applicants!

Good luck everyone! We're almost through this, and the world will keep spinning. 

Mar 8, 13 9:10 am  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

Fish bad days! forget about admit I am not even receiving spam emails :(

Mar 8, 13 10:03 am  · 
 · 
agoodwinbrown

@lopes0421 and Bazookatooth. Was your letter under "Fall 2013 Admissions Process" column? I assume it'd be pretty easy to find so I'm thinking a no go for me or a waitlist. Unless it's tucked away somewhere in all that information on the mygrad page.

Mar 8, 13 10:06 am  · 
 · 
lopes0421

@agoodwinbrown 

I just logged into my application and it was at the bottom of the page.

Mar 8, 13 11:08 am  · 
 · 
watts
Hello guys i wanted to share the good news with everyone.. I just got in at the GSAPP Columbia. Ms urban design..man it feels Good, and good luck to all applicants..

In: Cornell, Columbia, Angewandte

Out: Yale

Waiting: gsd
Mar 8, 13 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Ann_L

@architintin - ditto :/

Mar 8, 13 11:23 am  · 
 · 
lopes0421

@watts

Congrats! Were you notified via email or did you just check the website?

Mar 8, 13 11:23 am  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

I just got an acceptance email to GSAPP! And University of Illionis at Urbana Champaign...

Still waiting on the GSD though but I'm guessing it's a no.... Does anyone know when we're expected to hear if we're still waiting?

Mar 8, 13 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Ann_L

@ e.m.g. - which programs did you apply to?

Mar 8, 13 11:31 am  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

Mar 8, 13 11:31 am  · 
 · 
ChineseMarco

Congrats, I picked the longest waiting schools to apply to....gsd and princeton results never coming out.

Mar 8, 13 11:32 am  · 
 · 
haptic-urbanism

@ e.m.g are you MSAUD/ urban design like watts?

Mar 8, 13 11:34 am  · 
 · 
maidle

oh man.. GSAPP MArch is the only program I applied to this year. Today will be an anxious day. 

Mar 8, 13 11:37 am  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

I am MArch/MS in Preservation

I got an email that they updated the status and it's available on the webpage. Log on and check!! Good luck everyone!!

*I should clarify that I received two emails one for each program..

Mar 8, 13 11:39 am  · 
 · 
bclfan
This is my first post, time for me to contribute after using this for so long! Just got an acceptance email from Columbia MSAUD!
So far my results,
In: Columbia
Out: Cornell MarchII
Waiting: GSD(doubt it) UMich Penn
Good luck everyone!!!
Mar 8, 13 11:40 am  · 
 · 
xdfwx

In: Upenn MLA2, Cornell MArch2, GSAPP MSAAD

Also still waiting for GSD with the guess of a no......which is really tough.....

Mar 8, 13 11:41 am  · 
 · 

woot woot!!!

i got an Ivy League Trifecta: Harvard, Yale and Columbia!!! SO freaking stoked!!! 

Congrats to those who got in!!!

Mar 8, 13 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
watts
@lopes0421

I got notified through an email directing me to the link on their website.. Logged in and boom
Mar 8, 13 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher
Any GSAPP MArch1 news ?
Mar 8, 13 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

i got accepted to Columbia's MS.AAD! my top choice!!!

and I only applied to three schools lol

God is too good

Mar 8, 13 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Cizz

@ Jmaher

any news on cornell

Mar 8, 13 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@Cizz

They should already sent you an email about the admission things

Mar 8, 13 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
spudsrfr123

I just received an email from Columbia as well. In for M.Arch I with a non-arch background. 

Congrats and good luck everyone!

Mar 8, 13 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
blyang

Results are in!

IN: GSD, GSAPP

OUT: YSOA

And cheers to no more waiting! Time to decide begins... now.

Congrats to everyone - seems like the hard work paid off!

· 

GSAPP MSAAD LOL ACRONYMS

· 
j.maher
No news from gsd, gsapp, or cornell.. Schools just seem to have forgotten me
Mar 8, 13 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
ChineseMarco

@Leif. GSD send out notice today ?

Mar 8, 13 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
AA23

@spudsrfr123

You talked to Alonso !!! Did he ask you anything or just BAM! told you, you were accepted?

Did he say anything about scholarship?

My top choice is SCI-Arc, I got in last time but without any $. 

Does ANYONE know how much they normally offer ?

Mar 8, 13 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

Good afternoon! An update on my status:

In: GSAPP (3years - email today) , uPenn AP, IIT AP
Waiting: GSD, Berkeley, UOregon, UWash, UBC, MIT

Good luck!

Mar 8, 13 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

Update:

IN: RISD, Berkeley (MArch + MCP), GSAPP (MArch + MSHP), University of IL @ UC, ASU

Waitlisted: Michigan MArch (2-Year AP)

Still waiting to hear from: GSD, University of Maryland, Clemson

Good luck everyone!! We are almost through this!!

Mar 8, 13 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

Columbia just in :D!!!!  for MArch 1 (with arch bg)...no rejections as of YET 

IN: Yale, Columbia, Cornell

waiting:

-GSD: expecting first rejection :(... had very average GRE scores and ok match with their school...

-Princeton: sure reject.. i dont think my interests align with them at all.  It is at the bottom of my list

-MIT: sentimental fav and the one im really looking forward to...

It has been unbelievable... just a month ago I was hoping to maybe get into cornell and so far im shocked at the options in front of me... when i first started bachelors i wouldnt even have dared to dream this big.... coming from a limited income, uneducated family (Im the first one to go to college), this is overwhelming... I am very grateful for this opportunity because education is a real privilege... 

Dreams do come true!

Mar 8, 13 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: