Archinect
anchor

Info/Data for Detroit, MI

CheMac

I'm a student and I am currently working on a project in Detroit, MI (specifically Highland Park, MI). My classmates and I are having a hard time locating detailed data for the area. The city and state website can only offer limited information as far as topography, land coverage/use, etc. Does anyone have or know of better resources for this information? We'd appreciate any help!

Jan 30, 13 3:13 pm
gruen
Umm.... It's flat. It's underpopulated. It's a rough part of town. Are you a u of m student? Drive there. Look on google. Us census. Come on.... Go to the library. Do some research.
Jan 30, 13 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
CheMac

No, I am in Iowa but we will be going there in a few weeks. We have already found all of the demographic (i.e. US census) and anecdotal information we need. I just wanted to see if we could get any more technical information. Topography maps (USGS has *very* little info), building footprints and heights, land coverage/vacancy, GIS data, etc. Thanks though.

Jan 31, 13 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

you could use Google sketch up and toggle terrain and turn it into a solid for a rough start to get an idea of topo and other such info.

Feb 1, 13 9:25 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Try the local governmental sites. Often the city and or county will have a GIS department. The county assessors office will also have data. You might need to call them. Also don't forget your university librarian. It's their job to help w stuff like this and they can find stuff that google can't.
Feb 1, 13 9:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: